Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Sealing Brass?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Wal Werbel11/05/2022 14:44:43
40 forum posts
34 photos

Hello all,

Having recently made a couple of brass signs (pics below) I'm wondering about how to seal - or even whether or not to bother.

My options so far are

• Spray on clear-coat
  • Brush on shellac based lacquer
  • Wax

I'm already using shellac to seal in the patina and I'm gravitating towards wax for the bare metal bits - my reasoning being that it's non-permanent and will allow for easier maintenance - ie. not having to remove lacquer once it crazes and the brass below starts to blacken.

Any opinions and further tips?

Many thanks.

Wal.

imag0039.jpg

imag0049.jpg

imag0060.jpg

noel shelley11/05/2022 16:14:02
2308 forum posts
33 photos

DO NOT laquer ! Unless extreme care is used the lacquer WILL NOT adhere to a polished surface and VERY easily chip with handeling. There is not prize for guessing how I know this ! The No 9 is brass the other looks more like a bronze ? Noel.

bernard towers11/05/2022 17:39:39
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Microscope makers used to lacquer their instruments successfully why not use whatever they used (shellac based I believe). Personally I use Halfords clear lacquer and have never had it craze (so far).

Mike Crossfield11/05/2022 18:08:48
286 forum posts
36 photos

If, as seems likely, the items are going to be exposed to the weather, the only real solution is lacquer. I can recommend Incralac. This was developed specifically for copper based alloys. A bit pricey, but good stuff. Available in tins or aerosol cans.

Mike

Grindstone Cowboy11/05/2022 19:42:40
1160 forum posts
73 photos

I believe you can get clear powder coating - that might be an option?

Rob

Jon Lawes11/05/2022 20:44:21
1078 forum posts

We used Incralac for brass letters on the stern of a boat; they have retained their polish nicely with no sign of cracking or crazing yet, and its been on there longer than I can remember.

Wal Werbel12/05/2022 02:40:20
40 forum posts
34 photos

Incralac it is, then.

Many thanks for your advice!

Wal.

Kiwi Bloke12/05/2022 08:39:31
912 forum posts
3 photos

Wal, lovely work! Please could you tell us how you made these? Presumably not cast, as traditionally done (?).

[Edit} Oh, just seen your other post. Presumably similar technique...

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 12/05/2022 08:42:53

Wal Werbel12/05/2022 10:51:37
40 forum posts
34 photos
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 12/05/2022 08:39:31:

Wal, lovely work! Please could you tell us how you made these? Presumably not cast, as traditionally done (?).

[Edit} Oh, just seen your other post. Presumably similar technique...

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 12/05/2022 08:42:53

Kiwi, this technique is achieved using the 'texture' tool-path in VCarve. It's pretty cool but it takes an age to machine - less detail and bigger tools speed it up a bit, but there's a lot of up down, move a bit, up down, move a bit etc. Fine for one-offs, but certainly not a production technique, for example - the texture on the Church Villa sign took around 6-7 hours..! On my other post (the badge) the texture is modelled and machined with a 0.7mm ball-nose end-mill.

Wal.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate