By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Billard 1

Here is a list of all the postings John Billard 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverted slide valves
03/10/2023 22:04:10

Thanks Andrew. That's interesting.

How is the spring attached?

John B

03/10/2023 19:53:30

Does anyone have any experience of putting a spring below an inverted slide valve to ensure its contact with the valve face?

Best wishes

John B

Thread: Bulb for a Vertex swan neck work light
26/07/2022 12:10:25

Any advice on how to source a new bulb for my Vertex swan neck work light? Seller RDG can't help. It seems to me that the bulb is part of the reflector unit? Anyway I can't shift it!

Many thanks

John B

Thread: Silver solder resist
30/01/2022 22:33:46

Just to report that I have used jeweller's rouge and it worked well.

The job was to solder in the backhead bushes for the gauge frame x 2. I made a jig to hold them square from some steel strip. The resist stopped successfully these from being soldered.

Thank you Massimo and all others who contributed.

John B

Thread: Thread locking inside boilers
25/01/2022 11:50:26

Thanks for the replies. I am just interested in sealing threads at the moment e.g.main steam pipe in to the regulator and oil pipes etc into unions/bushes.

Farmer para 287 uses Boss White but this was 1964.

John B

24/01/2022 13:02:37

What is the best sealant to use these days for screwed joints within a 5" gauge boiler when subsequent access might be "difficult".

Best wishes

John B

Thread: Binders page unavailable
03/01/2022 17:51:08

There's an error message when I try to access the binders page on this site - are binders at the moment available for ME?

Thanks

John B

Thread: Westinghouse pump in 5" gauge
28/12/2021 21:14:47

Julian, Could I add my request to Peter Ellis?

[email protected]

Much appreciated!

John B

24/12/2021 17:48:28

Its a while since I started this thread but I'd be interested in the drawings too if that is at all possible.

Kind regards and best wishes of the season

John B

Thread: Silver solder resist
06/12/2021 22:35:35

Is type correction fluid, e.g. Tippex, the thing for this?

John B

Thread: Boiler internal pipework
25/11/2021 21:12:57

Thanks Baz. Looks like there is no reasonable alternative.

In fact there is an advantage - the injector will knock off if the boiler is over filled i.e. forgotten!

Best wishes

John B

24/11/2021 23:15:33

I would appreciate some advice on the following.

I am constructing the boiler for my 5" gauge Claud that has a round top firebox.

I am seeking to replicate the cab fittings using Don Young's methods. This involves internal feed pipes to the injector steam valves. This follows full size practice with the pipes upending in the dome space.

However I am realising that this will be very difficult to assemble regarding the myriad of obstructions in the boiler particularly as the injector valves are quite low on the backhead. Any mistakes here will be locked in once the backhead is soldered in place.

I wonder if it would be better to collect the steam via short pipes to the top of the firebox steam space. In any case Don shows a similar feed here for the blower. If so it will be much easier to erect and test before the backhead goes into its final place.

Any views on this conundrum would be most welcome.

John B

Edited By John Billard 1 on 24/11/2021 23:16:56

Edited By John Billard 1 on 24/11/2021 23:17:38

Thread: DRO Z axis
31/10/2021 22:15:43

I have fitted 3 axes DRO to my Dore Westbury and I wouldn't be without it.

Backlash? Forget it!

Best wishes

John B

Thread: Soldering a front tube plate
19/10/2021 17:58:34

Yes, this what I am using. Very impressive. As Fizzy says lasts a long time under the torch at high temp for the 424.

Regarding Blondihacks yes plenty of errors there but she admits them.

Cheers

John B

19/10/2021 15:33:16

Thanks Fizzy

All going well so far, but you never know! Tubes soldered in to the firebox tube plate and firebox outer wrapper soldered to the barrel using 424 and 430.

John

19/10/2021 12:59:29

Thanks Fizzy, for sharing your experience. Thanks for the invitation! I am near Reading, but if I the the chance....

John B

18/10/2021 21:32:03

Thanks Noel

You are quite right about a drive fit. What if it goes in awry and how do you retrieve it without damage?

Thanks Rob

The Blondihacks viewing is compulsory particularly as she is so honest about how it went wrong.

John B

18/10/2021 20:29:21

Thanks Clive. Presumably the tube plate is sealed by a fillet of solder. In any case I accept that if there was a gap it would be difficult to maintain it.

Kind regards

John B

18/10/2021 15:14:54

All the references I have seen advise that a front tube plate should be driven into the boiler shell before soldering. What about the capillary gap? Do we rely on the boiler shell expanding?

John B

Thread: Dore-Westbury Mill
14/08/2021 17:16:10

I have fitted xyz DRO to my Dore Westbury using bits from EMS International. As with Phil, it wasn't cheap but I can say that it has transformed the machine.

Best wishes

John B

Edited By John Billard 1 on 14/08/2021 17:16:50

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate