By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Greene

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Greene has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oh dear - not quite right - again!
20/05/2023 19:25:37

... ending a sentence with a preposition is a grammatical error up with which we should not put.

Thread: TWAIN
18/05/2023 22:29:40

My only exposure to TWAIN is as a plugin driver for PaintShop Pro (et al) where it's used to interface with a document scanner etc. Don't know how it relates to your use though.

No real helpful .... sorry.

Thread: Oh dear - not quite right - again!
18/05/2023 22:24:27

So you despise the grammatical discussion and give us bible-thumping instead?

rotfl

Thread: Cables
17/05/2023 01:29:59

Some years ago, I was stopped at a traffic light and a city contractor (I guess) started up an arc welder on the side-walk about 2 feet from my car. I wasn't just concerned for my eyes - I have a pacemaker and that is way too close for a welding arc.

I managed to safely take off against the red light hoping there would be a cop around to nab me so that I could make an issue of it. Never one around when you want one.

Thread: Formatting a 3.5 ins Floppy - "Unable to complete the format Error"
13/05/2023 19:46:04

wink

13/05/2023 01:16:32

The read/write slider is in the right position of course .... ?

Thread: Every answer
12/05/2023 00:33:46

I fitted a 3-phase motor + VFD to my ML7 about 14 years ago and have been very happy with it. I don't run it at higher speeds than normal though (lower speeds, yes, and it's very handy).

Running faster than normal would be taking a risk, I think, with the plain bearings used on the ML7 - which maybe the vibes you are picking up on the internet.

At very low speeds (for tapping and die-threading usually) I limit the duration since I'm not sure how well the motor cools. Could be worrying over nothing there though.

Thread: Myford cross slide leadscrew info needed
07/05/2023 19:34:04
Posted by old mart on 07/05/2023 18:58:06:

. I generally avoid ebay USA sellers because of the postage and possible duty payable. I suppose the duty would not be payable on the carriage rates.

.... but taxes might.

Thread: Wood work project
04/05/2023 22:46:13

Paul, you might want to check out "How to post Pictures"

Thread: Diesel heater recalls
03/05/2023 21:47:40
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 03/05/2023 10:40:38:

To reject for most detail design issues would require paying for an investigation by a independent lab. By rejecting on simple things like marking, instructions or plug dimensions they reduce costs.

You seem to be suggesting that the approval authority bears these costs (apologies if I've misunderstood). Seems logical that the manufacturer should be required to demonstrate that his product meets applicable safety and other standards including, if necessary independent lab testing at the manufacturer's own cost.

Edited By Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 03/05/2023 21:48:08

Thread: 13A plus USB adapter : not recommended
30/04/2023 19:24:22
Posted by Vic on 30/04/2023 18:57:32:

I’ve got a couple of these and they seem to be fine.

**LINK**

I went there but I refuse to do yet another cookie dialogue for a flyby look. World's gone mad.

30/04/2023 19:19:50
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 30/04/2023 18:30:45:

I still think square-pin plugs are newfangled...

... and I still unplug idevices, phones etc at the charger end first and then at the device.

Thread: Old Wacom Tablet working on Newer Mac
30/04/2023 17:10:12

Interesting, Michael, thanks for that. Does it work with iPad?

I have an old tablet around somewhere - I suspect it's buried under the junk on this desk. I got it for use with CAD but could never get used to the absolute positioning compared with a mouse (it's raison d'etre of course). Wouldn't mind fooling around again though.

Thread: Should I buy a posher digital micrometer/caliper?
30/04/2023 17:03:47
Posted by Stuart Bridger on 27/04/2023 09:59:19:

i invested in a Mitutoyo digital caliper last year after getting tired of the sheer waste, cost and inconvenience of replacing batteries virtually every time I need to use the cheap one. Great investment, so much better feel and battery life is a magnitude better.

Just to make the point that decent battery life is not necessarily a Mitutoyo (etc) vs "cheap" caliper thing. I bought a 6" IP54 digital from a local tool company (KBC) a few years ago ... around $59 CDN on regular sale as I recall.

I invariably leave it switched on and it doesn't blank the display so it's still on at next use. To my recollection, I have never changed the battery.

I agree though that many of the cheap Eastern calipers do race through batteries (and fail to blank the display if left on).

Thread: 13A plus USB adapter : not recommended
30/04/2023 16:46:46

When I read the thread title, I thought someone was trying to squeeze 13A through a USB connector. I'm glad I was wrong!

blush

Thread: Road bridge weight limits.
23/04/2023 20:07:55
Posted by old mart on 23/04/2023 15:46:46:

The other day on my way to the museum, I was overtaken by 4 fire engines in full panic mode. They must have passed over the railway on bridges which were restricted in weight capacity.

Maybe they toss coins for who goes over first.

devil

Thread: SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch in two hours time
22/04/2023 01:25:07

It's already being hailed "a success".

(Apparently a major part of the test was the first stage separation .... which actually worked).

Thread: Blueing Blues
20/04/2023 01:33:03
Posted by Iain Downs on 19/04/2023 15:53:22:

I'm not sure I agree. And doubted it in the first place given that stainless is meant to not oxidise

"Stainless Steel" is more properly called "Corrosion Resistant Steel"

Thread: Chinese imports
16/04/2023 01:48:50
Posted by duncan webster on 15/04/2023 21:34:18:

The only time I've bought something from PRC direct rather than via e bay I finished up having to pay the courier a £18 handling charge for them to collect the much lower VAT. There used to be a lower limit below which HMRC didn't bother about the VAT, no longer it seems.

If it's anything like this part of the world - and I'm certain it is - the courier service will charge taxes regardless of whether the tax authorities would have done so ... along with "handling charges", "disbursements" - anything they can think of really. And there are so many couriers these days - many don't seem to do any actual couriering - they contract others to do that - they just collect fees and charges.

Here (Canada) I can "get away with" about $150/200 value without getting charged taxes/duty if the goods come in by post only. Trouble is, many foreign vendors these days won't ship by regular mail (UK is one of the worst these days) and even Canada Post may use a courier across the border sometimes - with consequential tax collection and other charges.

No fun any more.

Thread: Flash-Flash-Flash... Turn The *&^&%$ Thing Off!
12/04/2023 01:32:06
Posted by phillip gardiner on 11/04/2023 22:55:26:

It's working it has got your attention, that is what it us supposed to do.

Yeah .... but when I go there I don't understand it. For each mag, there are two listings in each category identical except for the price.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate