By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Replacement lathes. Recommendations?
03/05/2023 10:15:39

Anything from Aximinster, Warco, Chester etc is a backwards step IMO.

A couple of Myford Super 7 Connoisseurs would probably be your best option.

Thread: Poor quality drill bits
29/04/2023 07:34:41
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 27/04/2023 11:32:58:
Posted by Henry Brown on 27/04/2023 09:23:32:

I also won't buy from UK drills, their quality is at best unreliable. I've found Toolstation drills to be pretty good...

I have stopped buying from them also as the drill point grinding was atrocious! I can re grind the points myself but under say 4mm my eyes aren’t up to it.

Tony

I'll 3rd that. I bought some centre drills from them a while back and they were the crappiest quality drills I've ever seen! They literally had cracks running lengthways down the drill starting from the tip, appalling quality and potentially dangerous.

The best quality/price ratio I have found to date is Osborn from GBR engineering, very good quality for the money!

Edited By Hollowpoint on 29/04/2023 07:36:43

Thread: Weird situation when tapping steel
16/04/2023 11:09:31

There is one other thing that I've experienced.

I presume that you drilled the hole in the lathe? Very occasionally when drilling in the lathe the drill bit will deflect or "wander" a small amount and be pulled ever so slightly out of true, leaving a hole that isn't square to the part.

This is most common when a part held in a 3 jaw chuck is centre drilled, then released from the chuck for whatever reason before being re tightened and then drilled.

The tap won't then follow the wonky hole because it is much more rigid.

Edited By Hollowpoint on 16/04/2023 11:12:16

16/04/2023 10:49:38

Could be any number of things.

Worn/damaged tap

Out of spec drill bit size

Chips not clearing

Misalignment of tap in hole

Thread: Increasing Machine Tool Height for Improved Ergonomics
12/04/2023 09:15:54

Have you tried cutting your legs down? 😁

Edited By Hollowpoint on 12/04/2023 09:18:31

Thread: Timber and the risk of it causing corrosion
06/04/2023 07:34:57

Forget it, make your boxes from Jacobs crackers. They actually dispell all moisture from a 2 foot radius. Your tools will be lovely and dry.😋

Thread: Thieves at Newark autojumble. - A Warning
06/04/2023 07:23:20

I know quite a few of you guys attend Newark autojumble regularly so I thought I would make you all aware of an incident last Sunday.

I was there Sunday as always with my Dad who sometimes holds a stall to offload some of his tat. Towards the end of the day we were chatting and I was taking the micky out of him for having holes in his pockets, this was after a pen fell out. I didn't think much of it at the time but I have just learned that it wasn't a hole at all but rather a very neatly cut slit the full length of the cargo style pocket on his trouser leg. It's obvious that this was an attempt to steal his end of day earnings rather than some kind of accidental tear. Luckily the thieving scum were unsuccessful and only made away with a shopping list written on a piece of note paper.

I just wanted to share this so that no one else becomes victim.

Thread: Timber and the risk of it causing corrosion
04/04/2023 19:20:38

I believe it was my comment that sparked this debate so I'll give my two pence.

I have a couple of boxes I made from kiln dried English oak which I finished with danish oil and wax, they are lined with felt. I have never had any problems. But then I also keep my tools well oiled and sometimes in plastic bags within the box. I had heard the rusting rumours prior to making the boxes but figured if it was good enough for the countless manufacturers of engineers tool chests it would be good enough for me too.

Far far worse is tools wrapped in paper or stored in cardboard boxes, I have seen hundreds of tools ruined this way. Paper holds moisture. Don't do it.

The majority of my best tools are oiled and stored in thick plastic ziplock bags, I believe this negates the choice of container somewhat.

Thread: Repairing plastic hinges
03/04/2023 13:48:01

Perfect opportunity to make yourself a nice wooden box. Oak or walnut, brass hinges and a custom cutout for it to sit in lined with felt. 😎

Edited By Hollowpoint on 03/04/2023 13:49:11

Thread: Hobbymat BFE65 Milling machine
27/03/2023 09:20:59

They seem to fetch around £500-£600 on ebay for a good one.

Thread: We know you love the forum – have you seen the printed magazines Model Engineer and Model Engineers’ Workshop recently?
25/03/2023 09:35:44

Is this a reoccurring direct debit after the first 3 issues? Can't find an answer on the website.

Thread: Oscillating Engine Simulator
22/03/2023 08:33:22

This will be useful to me. I have a steam engine with several parts missing, including the piston and cylinder. I can use this to work out how to make the best replacements. 🙂👍

Thread: Decent Quality Tap & Die Sets?
21/03/2023 09:52:16

Forget boxed sets.

Buy them individually starting with the most common sizes, if you search ebay you will find lots of new old stock taps and dies from the very top brands (Dormer, SKF, Presto, Hall, Goliath etc) at reasonable prices. Don't worry about them matching, who cares? You can then fill in the gaps with cheaper ones.

My go to brand for new taps and dies is osborn / europa tool. They seem to offer the best quality/price ratio. The higer end HSS presto ones are decent too.

Edited By Hollowpoint on 21/03/2023 09:58:32

Thread: Sourcing domestic momentary switch
19/03/2023 10:44:15

I often find that unusual switches use a custom mechanical housing with the actual switch behind being a common off the shelf part. Take a photo of the back, and if here is any numbers printed anywhere note those down. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a couple of bog standard parts.

Thread: Knurling Question
19/03/2023 10:29:43

You might be able to do it freehand with enough leverage, maybe try a thin knurl on the end of a very long handle in a similar way to how metal spinning is done.

Thread: Help wanted, calling all Unimat SL owners
18/03/2023 14:53:16

Just tested mine, they tally with everyone else's measurements.

I have 2 unused dead centres, the shanks are 7.185mm and the shank on a as new revolving centre 7.190mm. Measured with a M&W micrometer which I know is very accurate. 🙂

Thread: Harrogate Model Engineering Exhibition
14/03/2023 09:40:53

Another YouTube link here for anyone interested.

Thread: Harrogate show
10/03/2023 12:21:58

Im at the show. Roads are fine. Plenty of people here.

10/03/2023 07:48:28

I live in Leeds so not too far away from Harrogate. There is a couple of inches of snow on the ground at the minute. Im going to attend today but it's looking like tomorrow might be better.

Edited By Hollowpoint on 10/03/2023 08:16:17

Thread: Mini Lathe vs. Watchmakers Lathe
20/02/2023 08:23:37
Posted by Graeme Yorwarth on 18/02/2023 22:01:18:

Hi,

What did I get.....

Ordered the Cowells 90 CW with a hand rest for graving.

Quite excited, but wish that they did the foot operated speed control.

Graeme

I think that is a good choice for your use case. It should serve you well.

Since the speed control is electronic on the 90cw, controlled by a potentiometer, I expect rigging up some kind of foot operated speed control will be possible.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate