By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Turning cast iron
08/03/2023 01:06:17

There is a problem with small lathes having variable speed drives and no back gear. When you dial down the speed, you do not have enough torque to make a deep enough cut to get under the skin of the casting.

Thread: Has anyone here ever modified a capstan attachment to fit a regular centre lathe?
15/02/2023 01:23:59

I adapted a Hardinge turret to a South Bend 10K lathe. I managed to get the holes in the turret concentric with the spindle within .001".

Thread: Lathe turning from the centre outwards
08/02/2023 01:57:25

On my South Bend 10K and my Nardini 16 x 40 the power feeds are set up so that when the carriage feed is toward the chuck the cross feed is away from the center. I assume the lathe designers assumed the normal facing direction would be from the center outward. I normally face feeding inward so I have to reverse the feed when facing.

Thread: Do many people run 2 Milling Spindles
08/02/2023 01:31:13

My RF45 mill is limited to 1500 RPM with the 4 pole motor supplied. Small diameter cutters work best at much higher speed. I have been considering adding a high speed spindle to use the small cutters efficiently.

Thread: C42 C32 C25 Collet
08/02/2023 01:27:04

I believe they are collets used with the Big Daishowa high power milling chucks. They are a reducer sleeve for use in that chuck.

Thread: Double Taper (DT) Collets
08/02/2023 01:17:39

The DT collets have a clamping range of only a few thou from their nominal size. ER collets in the larger sizes will hold work up to 1mm below nominal. That is a big advantage for holding drills or taps.

Thread: Who labelled the X and Y axes for DROs on lathes and mills?
28/01/2023 03:34:02

There are industry standards for naming axes of travel. Here is one reference I found.

**LINK**

Thread: Tempering - To Quench or not
21/01/2023 01:05:36

As an example, suppose you had just forged a chisel and the body of the chisel was above critical temperature. You would quench the end of the chisel leaving the body hot. You would then polish the quenched end so you could see the temper colors. Then you watch the colors as heat from the tool body until you had the desired temper color. At that point you would quench the entire tool to prevent additional heat from migrating to the tempered end.

If the part were tempered in an oven and the entire part was at uniform temperature there would be no benefit quenching after tempering.

Thread: Your memories of Live Steam please.
21/01/2023 00:48:20

My best experience was on the Delta Queen stern wheel river boat. I was able to spend some time in the engine room. The cylinders had a 10 foot stroke. As I remember (after 50 or more years) the HP cylinder had a 24" bore and the LP maybe 48 inches, It was equipped with variable cutoff but that was not being used. The output was controlled by manual throttle valve. Unusual on river boats itcwas a condensing engine. The boiler was a water tube boiler made by Murray Iron Works in Burliington Iowa. I suspect it was a surplus WW1 cargo ship boiler. The hull was fabricated in Scotland and knocked down and shipped to California for assembly. There was an identical sister ship called Delta King. They ran passenger service between Sacramento California and San Francisco. During WW2 they were used by the US navy as yard ferry boats.

Using the shower in the state room was interesting. Hot and cold water supplies were furnished by separate reciprocating steam pumps. As a result the shower was alternating too hot and too cold.

Thread: 1/4" " angle Drive In Hydraulic Grease Nipples
16/01/2023 03:41:36

Instead of changing the nipples consider pitting an elbow on your grease gun.

Thread: Quality end mill cutter that last long?
13/01/2023 02:34:32
Posted by Dave Wootton on 12/01/2023 10:25:19:

I recently bought a selection of ARC premium slot drills and end mills, very pleased with them, cut well and seem to be holding a sharp edge despite some hard use. Previously bought Dormer and Sherwood cutters and these are a safe bet, sometimes found on offer in sets.

Dave

If anyone is unsure of feeds and speeds the tables in Tubal Cain's model engineers handbook will point you in the right direction.

For convenience you might want to try FS Wizard. It is available as an app for I phone and Windows. The limited version is free. It gives appropriate speeds and feeds for a variety of materials and several cutting tools.

Thread: 3/8”/M10
24/09/2022 06:06:49

The Chinese vendors on eBay offer shell mill adapters wth either metric or Imperial threads.

Thread: Shortening Shanks of Small Carbide End Mills.
24/09/2022 05:59:12

I use a diamond cutoff wheel in a Dremel. They don't last long but they are cheap.

Thread: 4140 - general discussion
01/08/2022 02:43:05

Stressproof or 1144 is a re-sulfurized plain carbon steel with a nominal .44 % carbon. The sulfur makes it great for machining but not so great dor welding.

Thread: Cutting a slot in a screwhead
30/07/2022 02:35:34

JasonB stated the ideal method. It also works for setting a Woodruff cutter or gear cutter on center.

Thread: Resistor Colour Code?
30/07/2022 02:32:24

A mnemonic for remembering the order of colors: Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.

Thread: Taper pin reamers that rub...
01/04/2022 22:47:40

It is possible that the grind was to provide both primary and secondary relief angles. On your reamer the primary relief was ground wrong.

Thread: Screws on the back of Kurt style vise?
01/04/2022 22:43:09

They can also be used to mount a chip deflector.

Thread: Tapping straight
27/03/2022 22:14:36

One can make something similar to this:

**LINK**

Thread: Thread-cutting oil
25/03/2022 04:43:45

I use the dark cutting oil of the type plumbers us for threading pipe. It is especially good on gummy steels.

I know that bacon grease works very well but any left on the machine or the chip pan will go rancid.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate