By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for thaiguzzi

Here is a list of all the postings thaiguzzi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: EDGWICK 20" SHAPER
20/05/2018 06:15:19
Posted by Rik Shaw on 12/05/2018 18:17:01:

Makes my 10" Alba look puny sad

Rik

Makes my 8" Boxford look positively miniscule.

Proper chips!!!

Thread: ward 2A lathe
20/05/2018 05:47:21

What a brilliant thread! Kudos to the perpetrators, love it!

Thread: Polishing mops
19/05/2018 10:58:30

Guys,

i'm not getting in a urinating contest.

Have you ever seen what a loaded abrasive or coarse sisal mop will do to human skin?

If you got a job in a jobbing polishing shop and DID NOT wear gloves or preferably gauntlets in front of a spindle, you would be shown the door by the boss sharpish, hand and eye protection being part of the safety wear, and often face masks too, depending on how grimey the particular job was.

All i can say is you guys are well hard to be able to polish bare handed and must have crocodile skin on your hands...

18/05/2018 10:25:45
Posted by the artfull-codger on 28/04/2018 18:17:17:

Quite a dangerous business polishing, I never ever wear gloves when polishing,I prefer black fingers to missing fingers.

Really?

I doubt you've ever polished commercially then. ie 10" mops with a 3 phase 3 HP spindle.

Without wearing welding gauntlets you aint gonna be able to hold the component for more than a few SECONDS at a time....

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
18/05/2018 09:45:28
Posted by Hopper on 17/04/2018 10:45:14:
Posted by thaiguzzi on 11/03/2018 06:33:58:

Always liked the Sportster motor in a Featherbed frame. Fills the space nicely, and, IMHO looks a better fit than any Brit parallel twin. Just looks "right".

It fills the new Featherbed frames they are making that are an inch or more taller than the originals. Sporty engine in an original Featherbed frame has the rocker boxes half hidden up under the tank, between the top frame rails and always looks oversized to me. I built one with an Ironhead Sporty motor back in the 80s and getting the engine in the frame consisted of lie engine on side on garage floor, finagle frame top rails down over rocker boxes, set bottom rail on the oil pump, jump on frame to spring it past the oil pump and into position, then stand the lot upright and make engine plates using technique similar to building ship in bottle for the rear mount.

I also have a 45 Flathead motor in a Featherbed, which to me looks much more correctly proportioned. But nowhere near as much barn-storming fun! (Until I get around to putting the stroker flywheels and Leinweber cams in it.)

Excellent description. Concur with everything written.

Some good posts in this thread whilst i've been away (family holiday in Blighty).

Thread: Help with measuring a bore
08/04/2018 09:44:31
Posted by John Reese on 08/04/2018 00:17:20:

As Mick B1 said the bores may no longer be round or straight due to wear. Try to borrow a bore gauge with a dial indicator.. Use it to explore the bore to see what condition it is. It may no longer be round or cylindrical. It may be necessary to hone them to make them cylindrical.

What he said.

Machine DRO on this page sell bore guages at very reasonable prices.

Thread: Please help me to identify this Colchester lathe
04/04/2018 06:20:04
Posted by Ian Parkin on 01/04/2018 16:22:22:

Hand wheels depend on whether a gap bed or not same on both models

That would explain my straight bed Student having a L/H apron hand wheel and my gap bed Master having a R/H apron hand wheel....

Always preferred the L/H handwheel, seemed in the "proper" place...

Thread: Our Wildlife and Conservation Activieties in Nambia
02/04/2018 06:06:28

Great work and a great lifestyle. Certainly not yer average 9-5. Congrats!

Thread: Please help me to identify this Colchester lathe
01/04/2018 15:49:20

I also thought Students had the apron hand wheel on the left and the Masters on the right?

My Student was 24" between Centres and my Master 36". 6 and 6.5" centre heights.

The Triumph was always the Biggie.

Thread: Perfecto Shaper
01/04/2018 15:32:28

+2 on the Delmar book - nothing better available anywhere.

Thread: ward 2A lathe
01/04/2018 15:27:03

Super work. Those clutches are interesting. This topic reminds me of a recently deceased friend of mine, ex REME, who ran a (very successful and popular) business repairing and servicing machine tools.

Thread: Moore and wright tools
31/03/2018 15:57:31

Er, nothing in the normal world we inhabit. Unless your shed is permanently at 20C.

30/03/2018 06:23:51
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/03/2018 22:17:56:
Posted by thaiguzzi on 29/03/2018 15:44:28:

Nooooooooooooooo! Not plastic thimble grips and ratchets!! Mitutoyo!

Jesus wept. I've been looking to treat my eyes to a pair of dial calipers, but i'm just never sure what you're getting. Finally found a decent Mit set on Ebay for 35 quid - reason for buying this set - ex MOD with calibration certificate 2002 - hence guaranteed genuine and not a fake.

Good practice to use plastic for the handled parts to reduce heat transfer into the tool.

No. Not having it. I do not want to see plastic on any of my measuring tools. Sorry.

30/03/2018 06:22:33
Posted by XD 351 on 29/03/2018 23:57:18:

Good practice to use plastic for the handled parts to reduce heat transfer into the tool.

Thats the reason many manufacturers put such a chunky name plate on the frame right where you right where you grip it !

Thaiguzzi , as far as i know mitutoyo dial calipers were not cloned only the digital units and some DTI's

Have a look on Ebay UK. It will make you weep. Genuine Mits are anywhere from 80-120 quid. There is a plethora of sellers on there with prices starting at under 30 quid. Even states Made In China in some of the ads! As far as i'm aware, all Mit stuff is made either in Japan, USA or Brazil.

29/03/2018 15:44:28
Posted by XD 351 on 28/03/2018 07:46:03:

I don't rate the new Mitutoyo ( exept digital calipers ) as high as the older stuff either and the same with Starrett .

I have a few mitutoyo mics 70s-80s vintage and the only plastic bit is the label in the frame , now they have plasic ratchets and thimble grips but then again so does my swiss made Etalon 😡 .

It really depends on what you want to buy and where you will use it , if it is just a set of digital calipers from what i have seen of M&W units they are good for the price range they occupy and ok for home use .

If you want micrometers or more advanced measuring tools i would keep a look out on ebay for NOS units or even second hand if they look to be well cared for - many micrometers get purchased and spend thier life sitting in a drawer .

My M&W mic is once again 70- 80s vintage , english made and well built but the new stuff is made under contract to M&W specs so like many other once mighty manufacturers they have also turned to a re badged generic unit . There is nothing wrong with this but you have to bare in mind you may be paying more because of the name for the same unit made in the same factory as a lesser known brand .

Also these days just because it has "made in such and such country " doesn't necessarily mean 100% of the components were made there ! ( except made in China , i don't know of them importing parts in for the stuff they sell !)

Nooooooooooooooo! Not plastic thimble grips and ratchets!! Mitutoyo!

Jesus wept. I've been looking to treat my eyes to a pair of dial calipers, but i'm just never sure what you're getting. Finally found a decent Mit set on Ebay for 35 quid - reason for buying this set - ex MOD with calibration certificate 2002 - hence guaranteed genuine and not a fake.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Power X Feed Query
29/03/2018 15:37:16
Posted by Hopper on 29/03/2018 02:00:07:
Posted by Martin King 2 on 28/03/2018 18:22:51:

Hi all,

Its been a funny old couple of days!

Got a call .... if not it was all going in the skip.... The other 'wood' lathe was a Super 7B with gearbox and power cross feed on original stand

Why oh why does this never ever happen to me?

Very funny old couple of days indeed.

Enjoy your new project, sounds like a beauty.

Indeed. What a score.

As they say over at the other forum across the pond - YOU SUCK!

Thread: Howell Twin Four Stroke - completed item
29/03/2018 15:35:20

Impressive, pretty, like it.

Thread: The Ageing Engine
28/03/2018 04:52:37

Howzabout this?

rotaries.jpg

28/03/2018 04:47:50

No, not really into model engineering, it's all just too small for me and my podgy fingers.

4BA is about the smallest i work with, preferably 2BA, anything smaller annoys me.

I admire the work and skill involved however, and it's nice to see the "open" engines like the Stuart models et al.

Re, radials yeah full size - if i still had my UK workshop, i would already have a non running full size one on display by now in the showroom. Also like any of that pre war period air cooled engine scene - big JAP, external pushrod tubes etc etc.

27/03/2018 07:31:43

Very, very nice. Love my radials. Impressive work.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate