By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FMES

Here is a list of all the postings FMES has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Copper Solid Rivets
13/11/2018 21:35:37

If they are going to be painted over I would suggest Monel metal rivits.

Regards

Edited By FMES on 13/11/2018 21:35:49

Thread: AF socket sets. Are they extinct
11/11/2018 09:49:51

Even metric spanners and sockets are 'AF'.

Thread: Electrolux vacuum - Need to make a missing wheel
05/11/2018 11:43:51
Posted by OuBallie on 05/11/2018 10:41:18:

Jeff/Martin,

yes

FMES:

Checked that site twice now, and all others I could find but nothing for this model machine.

No dimensions shown anywhere that I could find, so wasn't going to go through the hassle of buying, only to return ad nausium.

Only took a few hours to make, governed by the amount of metal the lathe would remove.

Geoff - Most satisfying as was fixing the Dyson.

I bet you didn't email or call them, they found an obsolete pump for my washing machine within two days, and if you provide them with the model and part number details they usually come up trumps.

I don't mind manufacturing things that can no longer be bought, but time is too valuable to be messing around with making stuff that is cheaper to buy.

Sometimes you just have to weigh up costs to replace against time and materials required to manufacture.

05/11/2018 06:47:29

With ESpares showing 34 pages of Electrolux wheels and most of them costing less than a tenner, was it really worth while?

Thread: Borax cone
04/11/2018 09:00:34
Posted by Mark Rand on 03/11/2018 22:33:23:

Acts as a flux for high temperature foods like Phalls. laugh

For going in or coming out? devil

Thread: Fixing axles to wheels
21/10/2018 11:06:21

Personally I use a good running fit in the wheel, perhaps a thou or so larger than the axle, then use Loctite 601 (Mainly because I have plenty) brushed on to both mating surfaces to ensure a good cover and then assembled.

This works well when quartering as you have a few seconds to ensure correct alignment before the loctite sets.

Once assembled, for belt and braces I drill in between the axle and wheel and insert a pin also loctited in.

Hope this helps

Regards

Thread: Help with unknown item
20/10/2018 13:43:54

Oh, Its a metal shear.

20/10/2018 13:40:50

Now I'm curious embarrassed

Thread: HELP
18/10/2018 09:28:22

Something like this : **LINK**

Regards

Thread: Warco Lathe Guard mod
18/10/2018 06:39:46
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/10/2018 19:05:32:
Posted by FMES on 17/10/2018 12:14:27:

Had to take the guard off mine as you couldn't fit the face plate, damn clever these Chinese, comply with legislation - to hell with functionality

On the SC4-500 the guard is easily removable for faceplate/large work (no tools needed) and the interlock switch is designed to allow it to work with it removed.

The ease of removal means you don't have any qualms about putting it back afterwards.

Neil

Mine is a GH1330, and the rotating spindle for the chuck guard mount was actually inside tthe diameter of the faceplate so removng the actual guard was no use at all - the whole interlock switch unit had to come off to get the faceplate to fit.

Additionally once the switch unit was removed it left two holes that had been drilled through into the headstock gearbox which leaked oil as soon as you ran the lathe.

Remaking the guard and mounting on to the splashback cured the problem and stops a lot of the mess going over the back of the machine as well.

Regards

17/10/2018 12:14:27

Had to take the guard off mine as you couldn't fit the face plate, damn clever these Chinese, comply with legislation - to hell with functionality

Regards

Thread: Cleaning with Parafin?
13/10/2018 17:40:22
Posted by NLP on 14/06/2013 21:23:12:

Another alternative if you can get it is PX24 - a multi purpose lubricant,corrosion inhibitor,dewatering & protective fluid - military grade product similar to WD40.

And it smells like cats pee, best avoided.

I'd second white spirit, and an oil up afterwards.

Regards

Thread: Carbide insert
11/10/2018 20:49:25

Apologies for asking, but are you using an insert suitable for aluminium?

Regards

Thread: Another workshop insulation question
09/10/2018 14:26:22

Posted by The Oily Rag on 09/10/2018 09:29:21:

'All house earths were now bonded to the incoming neutral and hence at my protestations admitted that they now run just a two wire system and a dead short would always exist between earth and neutral.'

A few years ago while having a new digital meter fitted, the engineer was explaining ( or trying to) that the Neutral is effectively the 'Company Earth' and that the House earth was belt and braces with any potential difference being between the Live and Neutral / earth.

What you are saying here seems to corroborate that statement.

Thread: Ethernet question
06/10/2018 19:07:06

I would suggest using a switch rather than a router.

Regards

Thread: Using coolant
05/10/2018 13:06:26

No sin at all, but i prefer to have the shop vac nozzle close to the job to suck up the majority of the chippings as they come off.

Regards

Thread: What Compressor for Car Lift Air Powered Locks
03/10/2018 13:32:09

why not just get another receiver and charge it from the main compressor, if it is isolated properly you will get plenty of lock operations before it needs topping up again.

Regards

Thread: How much do Colchester spares cost ?
03/10/2018 13:29:14

Is it so hard to grasp that if you purchase a commercial machine you are not going to maintain it for peanuts, That nine pound nut can net you thousands of pounds of profit in the working world.

Regards

Thread: Milling Machine Wobbler engine
22/09/2018 13:27:25

Thanks for adding the pic Jason, I only wen't downstairs to make a brew and you beat me to it smiley

22/09/2018 13:26:51
Posted by not done it yet on 22/09/2018 13:13:12:

Did that particular project raise any special operations to make it with mill only?

Not really, it was meant to show the apprentices methods of using different tools and accessories on the mill to get the job done.

In our particular 'Training sceanario' we did't have access to a lathe

Regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate