Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Borax cone

safe use of Borax cone

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Poole03/11/2018 10:47:23
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Although I use commercial flux for silver soldering I saw a video of someone grinding a borax cone which reminded me of doing this at school. I sent off for a dish and cone and thought I would read the safety sheet, they make it sound deadly stuff but I don’t remember taking any precautions at school and people on youtube don’t seem worried. We were allowed to play with mercury at school in the days before it was dangerous. Boraxo used to be a good hand cleaner but it did have lanolin added to condidion your hands. My skin seems pretty resiliant to most things but does anyone find Borax cones are an irritant?

Mike

Neil Wyatt03/11/2018 13:32:15
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Borax is not toxic in normal amounts, wikipedia says the powder can cause lung irritation but it isn't a skin irritant.

SillyOldDuffer03/11/2018 17:59:50
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

It's a 'handle with care' product. Quite mild, but don't eat it, breath in the dust, or rub it in your eyes. Like common salt, mostly harmless unless you are exposed to a lot of it. (If you think table salt is safe try rubbing the crystals in your eyes, eating a tablespoon a day for a month, or working unprotected in a salt processing plant for a few years.)

Metallic mercury is pretty benign too - unless you breath in the vapour. World of difference between playing with Mercury at room temperature for ten minutes and boiling the same quantity dry over a Bunsen, which is what unsupervised boys are likely to do!

Dave

Mike Poole03/11/2018 21:48:04
3676 forum posts
82 photos

I thought Borax was a pretty safe material, the Cookson Gold safety advice, sounds scary. Go to borax cone on cookson site and find safety advice leaflet in question and answers tab.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 03/11/2018 21:49:02

Edited By Mike Poole on 03/11/2018 21:52:18

Edited By Mike Poole on 03/11/2018 21:53:27

Neil Wyatt03/11/2018 21:50:58
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Outside Thailand and the United States it's an approved food additive.

Mark Rand03/11/2018 22:33:23
1505 forum posts
56 photos

Acts as a flux for high temperature foods like Phalls. laugh

FMES04/11/2018 09:00:34
608 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Mark Rand on 03/11/2018 22:33:23:

Acts as a flux for high temperature foods like Phalls. laugh

For going in or coming out? devil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate