By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FMES

Here is a list of all the postings FMES has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco Super - Major Vario inaccuracy
16/02/2019 08:59:18
Posted by JasonB on 16/02/2019 07:00:54:
Posted by FMES on 15/02/2019 21:53:59:

Robert, if you are holding that DTI in a chuck and not a collet that is probably where a lot of your error lies.

As the dti is not being revolved it makes no difference how it is held or on what part of the machine it is fixed to.

Your first photo shows the DTI on something laid across the table but the last seems to show it directly on the table but there is 0.008" difference between first and last reading.

Jason, the background looks like its changing in eack of the photos so it is being rotated, Robert confirms he's using an er32 collet - in an R8 holder??

Why not an R8 collet? going from R8 to ER32 may well have introduced errors if not spotlessly clean.

In any case, it would be far better to allow the Warco staff to come and have a look at it and advise accordingly rather than play message ping pong trying to diagnose a problem from afar.

Regards

15/02/2019 21:53:59

Robert, if you are holding that DTI in a chuck and not a collet that is probably where a lot of your error lies.

Unfortunately we can't see wht you are doing.

Regards

15/02/2019 20:35:15

Robert, are you holding your dial gauge in a collet or the supplied chuck?

Thread: Neil:- Is the spelling chucker broken?
06/02/2019 08:28:54

The use of a spell checker is largely useless if the word used, however correctly spelled, is incorrect in the first instance.

Being dyslexic, some posts make no sense, as the simple misuse of a word - 'there, their, the're' for instance, used in the wrong context, completely alters the meaning of the sentence.

And yes I used 'Spelled' allegedly the American English version of the word, as 'Spelt' to me means a type of corn flour.

Over the years I have had to learn 'type speak' and interpret it by using several re-reads in some cases. Nowadays, 'Text speak' is even worse, as in ' C@ s@ on H@ now H@ Fl@ M8', and don't lets start on L33t 5p3ak.

Rather than use a spell checker, try a Thesaurus, which will not only show the correct word to use, but how to spell it correctly.

Regards

Thread: Clack valve for a model steam boiler.
05/02/2019 06:24:19
Posted by JasonB on 04/02/2019 20:22:50:

don't need a spring, just gravity.

Pressure from the boiler helps too

Regards

Thread: A gas engine question
04/02/2019 06:28:00

Mazdas Skyaktiv engines run a compression ratio around 14:1 on pump petrol, but the control systems are pretty complicated.

Older 'stationary engines' run 4 - 5 :1.

Remember that pump petrol will light quite happily with no compression at all, just depends on how much power you want from it

Regards

Thread: Neil:- Is the spelling chucker broken?
03/02/2019 12:56:58

Why not just use a standard word processing program to compile the text and then copy and paste it in?

Regards

Thread: Warco Super Major Mill
31/01/2019 06:30:50

Hello Phillip,

I have the standard model, purchased in 2001 and have had very little trouble with it.

Problems experienced are : breaking gear select levers - they are plastic and snap across the roll pin holes, I have subsequently made new Alloy ones for it, Warco keep replacements.

Second problem, which I put down to fair wear and tear was a blown motor run capacitor: cheap fix from RS.

The machine itself is strong, easy to tram and accurate on the pillar and will happily cut with a 100mm facemill on ally.

For a single phase machine, I find it very capable, with mine not only being used for model engineering but anything that will actually fit on the table.

Regards

Thread: Extracting a dowel pin from a blind hole
29/01/2019 06:24:51

Just mig/tig a piece of studding on to the pin and screw it out using washers and a nut.

Regards

Thread: Is it just me?
18/01/2019 08:44:31

Strange isn't it - when I brought up a similar problem a while back, I was flamed for 'badmouthing' the company.

Regards

Thread: Free Electricity
16/01/2019 20:36:51

RF Energy ? two aerials and a sig gen off screen, bit like we used to get flourescents lighting up under a pylon.

Regards

Thread: Bending copper pipe
15/01/2019 21:36:59
Posted by Paul Lousick on 15/01/2019 21:31:37:

Where can I buy Cerrobend ?

It is listed on ebay in USA, 1/4lb stick costs $16 but $66 for postage.

Paul

I get it from **LINK**

The price changes so you have to enquire

Regards

15/01/2019 21:17:16

You need a product called Cerrobend, it becomes liquid in boiling water and does not adhere to the inside of the tube, looks like lead when it sets.

Just reheat the pipe to run it out after bending.

Regards

Thread: Hole cutter
13/01/2019 10:21:49

For what you are doing I would have been looking at getting the sections cast in ally first and then boring / machinig out the small amount remaining.

Regards

Thread: More help please
10/01/2019 13:15:28

Possibly a daft question - any backlash in the dividing head?

Regards

Thread: Happy New Year
02/01/2019 13:20:55

And a Happy New Year to you too

Thread: Form tool to cut big end / main crank bearings.
01/01/2019 20:25:57
Posted by JasonB on 01/01/2019 19:59:25:

I tend to use a knife tool to go down each side of the webs and take as much out the middle as possible with that then change to an indexable parting tool for which I keep an insert that has had the middle ground away with a Dremel cutting disc to a similar profile to that in Nicks video. HSS would look like this

Agree with Jason, but I finish to size with a shaped grinding wheel.

rb gas engine 237.jpg

Edited By FMES on 01/01/2019 20:27:34

Thread: source of gauge glass
31/12/2018 16:48:19

I think 4mm is the nearest you are going to get now Dave.

I might have some 1/8" dia from repairing Bing boiler glasses, how much do you need?

Regards

Edited By FMES on 31/12/2018 16:50:32

Thread: Access Platform
31/12/2018 16:23:26

Why not just hire a platform when you want it?

No problem with storage, certification, or wasted construction time.

Regards

Thread: source of gauge glass
31/12/2018 09:24:26
Posted by pgk pgk on 31/12/2018 06:24:37:

You can get 3.5mm diameter watch ace magnifiers if that's any help:

**LINK**

Otherwise I suppose you could turn down the 5/32 by spinning it against a diamond grit jammed with tailstock support and doublesided tapes?

pgk

Umm, gauge glass is normally tubing, so not practical to 'turn down'

1/8" diameter will not give a very good water level reading so a slightly larger diameter is preferred.

Regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate