By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

source of gauge glass

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Taylor 431/12/2018 02:50:17
49 forum posts

I am trying to source 1/8" gauge glass. I have looked at the usual suppliers with no success. 5/32" seems to be the smallest dia now available but is a bit clunky for 3.5" gauge models.

pgk pgk31/12/2018 06:24:37
2661 forum posts
294 photos

You can get 3.5mm diameter watch ace magnifiers if that's any help:

**LINK**

Otherwise I suppose you could turn down the 5/32 by spinning it against a diamond grit jammed with tailstock support and doublesided tapes?

pgk

Johnboy2531/12/2018 09:23:46
260 forum posts
3 photos

David - are you after pane glass or round tube water gauge glass? Microscope slides might be worth considering but if it’s water gauge tube - I’ll have a look in my miscellaneous glass tubing box and I’ll get back to you.

John🙂

FMES31/12/2018 09:24:26
608 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 31/12/2018 06:24:37:

You can get 3.5mm diameter watch ace magnifiers if that's any help:

**LINK**

Otherwise I suppose you could turn down the 5/32 by spinning it against a diamond grit jammed with tailstock support and doublesided tapes?

pgk

Umm, gauge glass is normally tubing, so not practical to 'turn down'

1/8" diameter will not give a very good water level reading so a slightly larger diameter is preferred.

Regards

David Taylor 431/12/2018 16:35:22
49 forum posts

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify it is glass tube I need for the boiler water level gauge.

I am aware of the problems of small bore gauge glass giving over optimistic readings of water level but still think it will work satisfactorily. Should the loco ever be completed it will be an entertainment for myself not a general use heavy hauler for club running.

At one time this diameter, (1/8" was available from the usual suppliers but I suspect the safety nazis have once again protected me from myself.

Dave

FMES31/12/2018 16:48:19
608 forum posts
2 photos

I think 4mm is the nearest you are going to get now Dave.

I might have some 1/8" dia from repairing Bing boiler glasses, how much do you need?

Regards

Edited By FMES on 31/12/2018 16:50:32

duncan webster31/12/2018 17:26:30
5307 forum posts
83 photos

you can get 3mm quartz tube from **LINK**

at least they list it, a phone call would confirm stock and minimum order, and whether it is suitable for gauge glass

and http://www.glass-solutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Glass-Solutions-Tubing-and-Rod-Price-List-2018.pdf

list 3mm borosilicate (pyrex) but they seem to want to sell an awful lot at once, again a phone call might extract an odd bit as a sample

However the hole up the middle is only 1/16" so as others have said I wouldn't rely on it giving the right reading, capilliary rise will be substantial before you start on bubbles.

Edited By duncan webster on 31/12/2018 17:29:31

Edited By duncan webster on 31/12/2018 17:31:07

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate