By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FMES

Here is a list of all the postings FMES has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machinability v Mess v Finish.
09/04/2015 20:43:33

Just tap on the door and they'll let you out. laugh

09/04/2015 18:55:21
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 09/04/2015 15:41:48:

Thread Necrophilia at it's best!

Nah, just thread restoration.

Live and let Die.

devil

Edited By Lofty76 on 09/04/2015 18:55:43

09/04/2015 18:45:45
Posted by KWIL on 09/04/2015 09:48:49:

Lofty,

Were you cutting dry or is it really some byproduct of your cutting oil? I suppose you could always use a vegetable based oil to cure the problemdevil

Yep, cutting dry with a tipped facemill.

Apparently I'm often heard to mutter something along the lines from Apocalypes Now ' the smell of the first cut etc.

Its probably some coating thats been applied at the suppliers.

09/04/2015 09:33:00
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 06/04/2011 19:18:54:
Someone mentioned the smell of machined metal. Apparently humans are very sensitive to the smell and taste of blood - which is close to that of iron.

Perhaps that is why model engineering appeals to man the hunter more than woman the gatherer?

Neil
(vegetarian)

Hi Neil,

We had a small incident at work a while ago when two new female apprentices were just starting the milling course.

We use a piece of EN1 Bar for the job and within seconds of taking the first roughing cuts both were near to throwing up and complaining about the smell.

I double checked and both were vegetarian (actually one was Vegan).

I suppose thats another Risk assessment Hazard I have to allow for now

Thread: single phase motor-calculating rpm
04/04/2015 13:51:34

Would something like this be too small? **LINK**

Thread: testing water tube boilers
02/04/2015 21:34:36

Hello Ian,

The 3 bar / litre exemption no longer applies to small boilers **LINK** section 1.6, and then refer to section 14 for small boiler testing.

Regards

Lofty

Thread: Large Boilered Tich Build
31/03/2015 11:01:31

Hi Richard and welcome,

I built this some years back and opted for 1/4 x 40 fittings, for one reason the glass on the 7/32 is very small and tends to give a slightly higher level reading than the bigger glasses.

Reeves do a 1/4 x 40 **LINK** may need a second mortgage tho'.

I'm sorry, I can't remember what I did about the regulator, I think I just used the standard one, If I still have the drawings I'll let you know.

All the best

Lofty

Thread: Boiler feed bush locations
31/03/2015 10:45:10
Posted by julian atkins on 30/03/2015 22:59:11:

ive fitted check valves to the backhead on some of my locos but all are taken via internal pipes to the front 1/3rd of the boiler and above the water line.

Wouldn't that do a wonderful job of condensing the steam?

Thread: Height of your lathe
28/03/2015 18:56:46
Posted by Ian S C on 28/03/2015 07:38:58:

According to Lawrence H. Sparey in his book "The Amateur's Lathe". standing uprightagainst a wall with the arms extended downwards. Now bend the forearm upwards at the elbow and make a mark on the wall at the point where the bent elbow lies. It is at this height that the top surface of the topslide should be set.

Ian S C

I've heard this method before as well, and checking my elbows against my GH1330 that is just about the correct height for me, and I'm 6'4".

At work, we have sixty Harrison L300's all on original manufacturers stands and apprentices that have ranged from sub five feet tall to heading towards seven feet.

The only problems we ever have is that the littluns can't reach the top of the Bridgeports.

Thread: Anti Vibration Mount (camera - motorbike)
22/03/2015 09:36:08
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 21/03/2015 23:22:54:

Mount it on your helmet - your body is an excellent vibe damper.

Not good, thats what almost killed Schumacher.

Thread: How to use a die?
15/03/2015 12:37:41

You are not alone Ian, I keep my ME and BA mostly for steam fittings so they are never used on anything ferrous. I do the same with milling cutters, new ones are used on brasses, bronze and ally and then set aside for steels before going for resharpening when viable.

I also have a set of number drills that again are only used with the ME and BA taps.

14/03/2015 13:14:42
Posted by Ed Duffner on 14/03/2015 11:24:26:

I didn't see cutting grease mentioned in the thread so far. Is it not needed for stainless?

Ed.

Pretty sure I mentioned the use of a cutting compound.

14/03/2015 08:42:42

Hello Tom,

What you would appear to have is a 'die nut' which is mainly used for cleaning a thread rather than cutting a new one.

The correct method is to use a split die. If you look at the die itself it has the size stamped on one face, this face is to be showing when the die is in the holder and identifies the 'cutting side' of the thread.

As Jason describes, slacken the two outer screws and fully tighten the center screw to open the die ( a lot of cheap die holders do not have a sufficient point ground on the center screw to open the die so be aware), and then lightly tighten the two outer screws.

Apply some cutting compound , Rocol or something similar to the rod to be cut and place the die on the thread with the 'cutting side' in contact with the rod.

While trying to keep everything square, rotate the die holder clockwise (RH Thread) for about half a turn and you should feel the die bite into the rod.

Back off a quarter of a turn and then advance again half a turn.

Repeat foward half, back a quarter until the full thread is formed.

Now, the thread may be too tight for a nut to fit on, so you need to slacken the centre screw slightly and re tighten the two outers,and then run the thread cutting process again. repeat this until your nut etc fits properly on the rod.

Hope this is of help

Lofty

Thread: Keeeping Machines Clean, New idea or Old?
08/03/2015 09:33:42

Admittedly some forty odd years ago, the MoD apprenticeships of the time had instructors that insisted that the machines were kept clean not only at the end of each class, but during the machining operations as well.

Its a process that I still keep to today, and even insist on our current apprentices following a similar procedure.

We wouldn't be able to adopt the cling film method as all of our machines have slurry trays / drains in the base so a little vigilance on maintaining a clean working environment always pays dividends not only in how you personally feel in working in a sh*t tip but also on the longevity of the machine.

If I'm machining materials that chip I often use an industrial vacuum to remove the chips before they become a nuisance which means very little cleaning up at the end of a session.

Thread: Telescopic tee shaped measuring devices
28/02/2015 13:18:44
Posted by Bogstandard2 on 28/02/2015 10:54:24:

Jesse,

It would be nice for you to put up a picture or a link, as what you have decribed I couldn't picture in my head.

John

Hardly surprising Bogs, ya don't see too many Telescopic Bore Gauges with a vernier scale on laugh

Thread: Laser edge finders
27/02/2015 20:46:18

Mark, which one do you have? mine is one of these **LINK** which sticks out quite a way from the machine.

I paid $150 for a tool sale item which turned out to be unused in its original box with all the paperwork, I think they retail for around $1300.

I was at the time more annoyed with having to pay the Mount Pleasant charges for import duties and VAT

27/02/2015 19:56:14

I have three tools for edge finding, the 'wobbler' is a nice easy one to use PROVIDED you accurately measure the stub to calculate the offset.

The laser doesn't have the offset problem but it can take a while to get it accuarely zeroed, and then of course it doesn't like bright workshop lights, But it IS very accurate if the polarising lens is used to fine down the beam.

My favorite for really accurate edge and spot finding is my quill mounted optical microscope from Titan Tools in the States which according to the certificate, is accurate to 0.0001"

Only problem with the Titan is that a small centre pop takes up over half the microscope viewfinder.

Thread: How to get oil to the cylinder
22/02/2015 10:06:51
Posted by Nick_G on 21/02/2015 21:09:58:

I too am curious about the oil question for running extended periods on air.

Do you mean something similar to this **LINK** for an inline oiler.

Nick

And for the lubricant **LINK**

Thread: Bridgeport Clone Spindle Bearings
17/02/2015 18:37:54

Try these people, I have no connection apart from being a well happy customer

**LINK**

We have used them on our Bridgeports

Lofty

Thread: Sight glass or plastic?
13/02/2015 12:56:33

I think you have to modify your fuel system components quite extensively to be able to use ethanol based fuels.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate