Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Expanding worn pistons

Expanding worn pistons

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Windy16/04/2013 16:56:45
910 forum posts
197 photos

I am not sure if it was this forum but there was a thread explaining about how to increase worn cast iron piston dimensions with heat.

Could some one advise me about using this method please?

Paul

Edited By Windy on 16/04/2013 16:57:05

john kennedy 116/04/2013 18:22:10
214 forum posts
24 photos

Windy, I remember reading about that process on here. **LINK**

Try doing a search. John

Francois Meunier16/04/2013 21:27:01
30 forum posts
6 photos

upon heating to red and quenching in oil, your worn piston do hardly enter in the cylinder, amazing, it gives some meat to lap again, the increase in dia was about 0.02 mm for a 25 mm piston, but not not regular, more pronunced on the lower, thinner part, somewhat oval too..., may be not quenched properly.

Zephyrin

Edited By gedeon spilett on 16/04/2013 21:28:25

Stub Mandrel16/04/2013 21:30:52
4318 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Hi Windy,

Its been mentioned in ME. As I recall you soak it at red heat for a good while as if you were normalising it and add a thou or two per inch, then re-lap it.

Obviously you can only do this once.

Neil

I found this - makles it nice and simple, eh?

"

Irreversible Carbon Diffusion in Growth of Cast Iron

1984 MRS Fall Meeting.

K. Nagaokaa1 and M. Soumaa1

a1 Faculty of Eng., Hokkaido University, Kita 13 Nishi 8, Kitaku, Sapporo, 060, Japan

ABSTRACT

In gray cast iron carbon diffuses irreversibly and the result is a growth remaining castoff voids and graphite redistribution. The origin of primary growth is in the mechanism of carbon diffusion which is controlled by a ratchet at graphite where carbon is carried by vacancy flow. Growth of flake cast iron in oxygen reduced air at low oxygen content is accounted for by self carburizing due to a reaction of penetrated oxygen and graphite flakes. For the irreversible carbon migration by gaseous carrier another ratchet is suggested. Cracking theory for primary growth is replaced by castoff void theory, and oxidation theory is modified."

Paul Lousick16/04/2013 22:48:12
2276 forum posts
801 photos

Try this link for making piston rings.

http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/make%20piston%20rings.html

Ramon Wilson18/04/2013 12:26:21
1655 forum posts
617 photos

Hi Windy,

I confess I very rarely visit this site these days - totally frustrated by the spoiling of so many threads due to the adverts covering the posts. Fortunately this is not one of them.

Just like to confirm that over the years I have successfully reclaimed several worn engines using this method which I first found described by my engine 'hero' George Aldrich in either Model Aircraft News or Strictly IC. It's possibly one of my posts you are reffering to.

Just heating the cast iron to a nice bright red and letting it soak in the flame a bit before letting it cool slowly will increase the diameter slightly however quenching it - in oil - will give a bit more growth - about 1-2 thou on a 3/4" or so diameter. It can vary depending on the cast iron and as Neil says you can only do it the once. It's surprising sometimes just how much more material you have to play with.

Lapping the bore before lapping and refitting the piston is better than just relapping the piston but I'm sure you'd be aware of that.

Hope that helps a bit more

Regards - Ramon

Windy18/04/2013 12:41:11
910 forum posts
197 photos

Thank you for all the explanations it was Ramons posts that I was trying to remember.

Memory at time needs a shake up.

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate