By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Using acetylene with silver solder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ianmac07/10/2012 10:41:09
29 forum posts

Currently building a 7 1/4 Terrier Boiler.

I had some issues getting the firebox door , foundation ring and firebox stays soldered due to the large mass of copper involved. I eventually used propane assisted by acetylene to get the heat where I though I needed it.

I am not happy with the visual look of some of the soldering where it appears as if tiny bubbles were on the surface and have left small craters and am concerned it may go or be porous.

What am I doing wrong ?

Ianmac

DMB07/10/2012 11:23:37
1585 forum posts
1 photos
would job be too hot,causing solder to overheat and bubble(effectively,boil)?
RICHARD GREEN 207/10/2012 11:39:03
329 forum posts
193 photos

Hello Ianmac,

Acetylene is far hotter than propane, I think you have overheated the job and the silver solder has bubbled, due to too much heat,

Saying that, I always use oxy acetylene for silver soldering and brazing on model and full size steam engine jobs.

You've just got to be awake and have your mind on what you are doing, There's not much time between the silver solder not being hot enough, and then being too hot.

Richard.

FMES07/10/2012 11:52:16
608 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Ianmac,

I agree with Richard, I also use Oxy/Acetylene for those last little bit of additional heat areas, and its really important not to touch the silver solder with the O/A flame.

Normally once the flux has run properly and the heat is well into the job, the ss will flash into the joint without any directed heat at all, but as Richard says, you really do have to keep your wits about you.

How about getting a couple of bits of copper and having a practice?

For your current job, a re clean and acid pickle, reflux and reheat will more than likely help to give a better joint.

Lofty

Ianmac07/10/2012 21:37:14
29 forum posts

Many thanks all for the feedback.

Looks like Ive scored an own goal by being slow and /or allowing the Acetylene flame to hit the SS.

I also used Cadmium SS ! Bought a batch at the right price just before it became illegal to sell it.

I'll revisit the affected areas after a clean / acid pickle

again many thanks

Ianmac

Jens Eirik Skogstad07/10/2012 22:01:18
400 forum posts
22 photos

I has used acetylene to silversolder the copperboiler without problem. Use the smaller size of welding torch and keep the distance between welding torch and silversolder without bursting the silversolder.

DMB07/10/2012 23:56:08
1585 forum posts
1 photos

Ianmac,

It seems from your description that you have, or very nearly, finished the boiler. If so, you may be lucky in that the blistered SS joints may not leak and I would be tempted to carry out a low pressure test to check this. I say this because I think Michael Williams` post is probably correct - remaining SS could now only melt at a much higher temperature. You could possibly have difficulty. I would therefore do a low - press. test to see if its OK rather than risk trouble. Let the club boiler tester see it and and accept his opinion as the last word on this. Good luck, hope all turns out OK.

John.

CuP Alloys08/10/2012 10:22:32
45 forum posts

Hi Ian,

A word of comfort - should your joints not be sound, you could make them so by using the same alloy as used first time.

The re-melt temperature of all silver solders is higher than the original due to alloying of the silver solder by the parent materials. With care you should be able to melt fresh alloy without melting the first run. Be aware that you have a complex assembly in which it is very difficult to prevent thermal stresses caused by expansion. Keep the variation in temperature to a minimum. You need more general heating not intense localized heating.

Get the whole joint area upto temperature. Use propane to get the work hot - burners can generate upto 80+kw of heat. Insulate the work to keep heat in. Use a long life flux. Use the oxy-acetylene only at the end to finally lift the joint temperature for silver soldering.

Regretably your experience is not uncommon when oxy-acetylene is used.

Finally - ensure that any future work is done in a well ventilated area.

Regards

keith

Axel05/05/2016 14:50:13
126 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Ianmac on 07/10/2012 21:37:14:

Many thanks all for the feedback.

Looks like Ive scored an own goal by being slow and /or allowing the Acetylene flame to hit the SS.

I also used Cadmium SS ! Bought a batch at the right price just before it became illegal to sell it.

I'll revisit the affected areas after a clean / acid pickle

again many thanks

Ianmac

Using Oxy-Acetylene can locally overheat small areas where you can have cadmium boil off, this can me very bad for your health, even fatal if you keep it up. I would only use propane or propane-air with this old stock of ss.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate