Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Piston Ring Material

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MichaelR26/06/2009 15:42:11
528 forum posts
79 photos
I make my own Piston Rings for my Hit and Miss IC engines, and have to use solid cast iron bar, of course most of the bar is bored out to swarf and bar is not cheap.
I have never come across cored cast iron in any advertisements in the modelling press, anybody know if cored cast iron is available in model engine sizes.
steamdave26/06/2009 18:26:28
526 forum posts
45 photos

Perhaps someone like College Engineering Supplies would be able to give you a definitive answer.

Dave

The Emerald Isle

David Bartle26/06/2009 20:30:55
3 forum posts
The only problem with cored cast iron that I could see is that the casting is harder on the surfaces. This means that the inner core surface would now also be hard. No reason a small foundry couldn't cast cored bars though.
John Ladlow26/06/2009 21:55:27
17 forum posts
I agree with David Bartle that the cored stuff is harder on the surfaces. The stuff I had was also not such good quality as the solid bar which might be critical for piston rings.
I have not been able to find any for some time and have used the stocks I did have.
I now keep a large drill on the bench for removing the centre of the bar quickly before finishing off by boring.
As you say it is a bit wasteful.
John
MichaelR27/06/2009 18:52:37
528 forum posts
79 photos
Thanks for the info, I hadn't given any thought regarding hard spots in the cored bar, not a good thing with piston rings.
Like John I will get a large drill and continue to make swarf

Jens Eirik Skogstad21/11/2009 06:47:24
400 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Stick on 26/06/2009 15:42:11:
.... and have to use solid cast iron bar, of course most of the bar is bored out to swarf and bar is not cheap.

You can use cast iron from old cam shaft (not cam, impossible to working with tools) or brake disc from car as piston ring material.

I has used the material from cam shaft/brake disc with good results in my model engines.

Ian S C21/11/2009 09:00:45
7468 forum posts
230 photos
Thanks Jens I'v been looking for material to make piston rings for an open crank motor that I'm building,you reminded me that I'v got some old brake discs and old automotive flywheels,I did want to make a cast iron piston as well,but I'v made it out of aluminium.IAN S C
Jens Eirik Skogstad22/11/2009 08:52:35
400 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Stick on 27/06/2009 18:52:37:
... I hadn't given any thought regarding hard spots in the cored bar, ... 

To be honest i has never seen hard spots in cast iron in the used car parts such as in brake disc, cam shaft or flywheel, they are of good quality cast iron.

Do not unharden the hardened cam in camshaft!!! You will get hard spots in soft cast iron between cams after the camshaft has been redglowing.. It is impossible to unharden the cams, they will be still hard.

MichaelR22/11/2009 11:58:03
528 forum posts
79 photos
Thanks Jens, I will be visiting my local car breaker, never gave a thought to the cast iron content of a scrapped car.

Stick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate