By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Moore04/10/2023 19:29:18
5 forum posts

Hi, I'm Alan Moore from Leicestershire. I have recently got myself a 1972 ml7. Having no lathe experience I have been looking at posts on the forum for some time. I have fitted an at1 vfd and. 1 hp 3 phase motor. Striped the lathe down completely, repainted and built it back up. Fitted a tachometer and got together some tooling and other bits and pieces. I am close to Turing my first chips and will no doubt be asking some questions soon.

Chris Evans 604/10/2023 20:04:31
2156 forum posts

Welcome along Alan, any thoughts on what you would like to make ?

Oldiron04/10/2023 21:50:32
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Hi welcome to the forum Alan. Plenty of people here to answer your questions. Once the new forum is up and running in a few days searching for answers may become a bit easier.

regards

noel shelley04/10/2023 22:05:32
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Welcome aboard Alan, we're a happy bunch mostly and will be glad to answer questions. Best Wishes Noel.

Benedict White04/10/2023 23:48:47
113 forum posts
1 photos

Welcome Alan. Could I also suggest finding a local model engineering club. As well as having in person advice they are likely to posses tools, books, drawings and magazines that you will be able to borrow as well as possibly materials.

This will greatly speed your path!

Mike Poole04/10/2023 23:55:38
3676 forum posts
82 photos

The Amateurs Lathe by L. H. Sparey remains a book that is seriously worth reading. Other authors have produced books that are more up to date with tipped tooling and innovations like VFD drives for the lathe but I think the time taken to read Sparey will be well spent. Reading is not everyone’s choice but reading some of the classic books will answer many of the novice questions. This forum has many people willing to share their knowledge, so ask the members if you cannot find what you want to know or for advice on a problem.

Mike

Alan Moore05/10/2023 00:11:53
5 forum posts
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 04/10/2023 20:04:31:

Welcome along Alan, any thoughts on what you would like to make ?

I'm into restoring classic motorcycles, have a 1939 and 1942 Ariel, 51 triumph and a BSA Bantam. The reason for the lathe is to make parts for these. Just got a 1952 Ariel project that needs some love so the lathe will come in handy there.

Alan Moore05/10/2023 00:16:42
5 forum posts

Thanks gents for the welcome. I've got a few books and am working my way through YouTube videos. Such a lot to learn!! Didn't realise what I was letting myself into.

PatJ05/10/2023 04:40:11
613 forum posts
817 photos

Welcome to the forum.

You can make castings for replacement parts for motorcycles.

I have seen some of that for Indians.

https://virtualindian.org/3techcasting.htm

We have the technology.

Pat J

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate