Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

TCMT VS CCMT

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
petro1head29/09/2023 11:07:17
984 forum posts
207 photos

Just wondering what the pros and cons between these two inserts.

Only thing I can see is one has 3 cutting points and the other 2 but am sure there is more to ut than just that

Not long before 1000 posts

Edited By petro1head on 29/09/2023 11:07:50

JasonB29/09/2023 11:18:38
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

With the right holders all 4 corners of a CCMT can be used

DC31k29/09/2023 11:23:57
1186 forum posts
11 photos

The other thing to consider is the available variety of holders for the inserts.

The ones branded Glanze (sold via Chronos) are an example: inter alia, they offer one that uses the normally-unused edges of the CCMT insert, so you obtain four edges out of each insert. Unfortunately, that holder seems specific to Glanze and only available as part of a set.

A seconday consideration is what holders are available for boring.

petro1head29/09/2023 11:25:11
984 forum posts
207 photos
Posted by JasonB on 29/09/2023 11:18:38:

With the right holders all 4 corners of a CCMT can be used

Did not know that, got a linkbto one please

Mark Rand29/09/2023 11:58:05
1505 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by petro1head on 29/09/2023 11:25:11:

Did not know that, got a linkbto one please

Examples would be these:-

**LINK**

**LINK**

Clive Foster29/09/2023 12:25:56
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Basic codes for pin style holders to use the obtuse corners of a CCMT are PCBNL and PCBNR.

More use in theory than practice as the layout makes for a cumbersome tool. I have a PCBNL 2020 which should be good for facing jobs but it's pretty much impossible to get into position for anything else. A PCBNR could, in principle, be used for reducing the diameter of fairly long length of stock but you have to make prior arrangements for the overhang of the tool in front of the cutting point unless its a single, pretty shallow, cut.

In practice you do rather less pure facing than longitudinal turning so an insert in an obtuse holder will last a very long time.

The ordinary CCMT holders are quite capable of handling facing duties anyway. They can cut up to a shoulder too inherently leaving a nice radius for stress relief. So switching tools just for a facing cut tends to be too much trouble. I have about 5 CCMT inserts saved to use up the other corner. I won't live long enough to use them.

Clive

Edited By Clive Foster on 29/09/2023 12:27:52

JasonB29/09/2023 14:03:57
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Plenty of other suppliers other than Glanze, Mine were JB Cutting tools, look for SCBCR and SCBCL such as the ones from APT

Not sure why Clive's one can't easily be used for facing, could be as his are pin location rather than the screw location I have and why my codes start with S for screw .this is mine in action

Although you get an angled shoulder when turning diameters they still work well for shifting metal, seen here roughing out an EN8 crankshaft and not so cumbersome that you can't use tailstocck support

Firefly138

Firefly139

And a deep cut in aluminium with CCGT using the spare corner

Edited By JasonB on 29/09/2023 14:15:13

Clive Foster29/09/2023 15:43:17
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Jason

Mis read my post I think. Mine are OK for facing but thats about all.

Being pin lock on a 20-20 shank for the CCMT 12-04 size inserts I have its all bit cumbersome.

Your smaller inserts and screw lock shanks are vastly more handleable. Doing something like your second picture with my bigger inserts and shank is barely worth the hassle.

Even working 12" to the ft scale.

Which is why I've never bothered to get a right hand holder.

Size really does matter and for the normal model engineer I can see no reason for setting up to use -12- size inserts. Go smaller.

Locking into -12- size over a decade ago because the price was right may have been a mistake on my part although there are no issues with plain turning and the insert in normal configuration.

Clive

petro1head29/09/2023 15:47:38
984 forum posts
207 photos
Posted by JasonB on 29/09/2023 14:03:57:

Plenty of other suppliers other than Glanze, Mine were JB Cutting tools, look for SCBCR and SCBCL such as the ones from APT

Not sure why Clive's one can't easily be used for facing, could be as his are pin location rather than the screw location I have and why my codes start with S for screw .this is mine in action

Although you get an angled shoulder when turning diameters they still work well for shifting metal, seen here roughing out an EN8 crankshaft and not so cumbersome that you can't use tailstocck support
Firefly138
Firefly139
And a deep cut in aluminium with CCGT using the spare corner

Edited By JasonB on 29/09/2023 14:15:13

So am I correct in thinking I will need two different holders depending on the orientation of the insert

Andrew Johnston29/09/2023 16:04:47
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by petro1head on 29/09/2023 15:47:38:

So am I correct in thinking I will need two different holders....

Yes; I start using the acute angle corners and when those are worn/broken I move the insert to the other holder and use the obtuse angle corners.

Andrew

JasonB29/09/2023 16:07:13
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I find I tend to make more or less equal use of both maybe 60/40 in favour of the facing one. So maybe think about getting that first and see how you get on. I find I can more or less keep up with using all my inserts on all four corners having the two options, if it were just for facing then I'd probably start to build up a backlog.

I also find the fact that the other two "unused) corners being over 90deg are a bit more durable so ideal for castings or other irregular work

Huub29/09/2023 22:14:36
220 forum posts
20 photos

I use CCMT/CCGT inserts more than 10 years. I use the 2 unused cutting edges of the CCMT/CCGT on my mill for facing jobs.

The CCxT inserts are smaller than the TCxT inserts. That can be a benefit for small diameter internal turning. Due to the 5° cutting edge, on the CCxT inserts, swarf can build up easily and can get between the cutting edge and the part. This results in scratches on the just turned part and dimensions are off. In general, I prefer a TCxT or DCxT insert.
I make the insert holders my self so I can choose the cutting edge angle. I use the TCxT inserts at an angle of 15° for facing and turning.
For the DCxT inserts, you can buy Q type holders (SDQCR07).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate