Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Centre-Height Gauge in 5 minutes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sonic Escape06/08/2023 20:31:03
194 forum posts
5 photos

I'm not sure if this even deserves a separate thread. For a long time I wanted to make a height gauge. Without one it was time consuming to adjust every time the tool height. I kept putting it off because it didn't looked like a very interesting project. But it seems that it's not always bad to keep putting things off. Today it occurred to me to do this:

It took only a few minutes to use the vise to insert a piece of soft aluminum together with a depth gauge into that knob. It is very solid and it works well. The two horizontal arms are at exactly the same height. Being lazy can take you to the simplest solution smile

Edited By Sonic Escape on 06/08/2023 20:31:54

samuel heywood06/08/2023 21:02:34
125 forum posts
14 photos
Posted by Sonic Escape on 06/08/2023 20:31:03:

...... Being lazy can take you to the simplest solution smile

I must be even lazier wink~

I've never felt the need to make one.

I just use a dead center in the tailstock or more usually a small drill in the tailstock drill chuck. Close enough, Or you could do same using the headstock if you suspect your tailstock's way above center height.

Sonic Escape06/08/2023 21:06:53
194 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by samuel heywood on 06/08/2023 21:02:34:
Posted by Sonic Escape on 06/08/2023 20:31:03:

...... Being lazy can take you to the simplest solution smile

I must be even lazier wink~

I've never felt the need to make one.

I just use a dead center in the tailstock or more usually a small drill in the tailstock drill chuck. Close enough, Or you could do same using the headstock if you suspect your tailstock's way above center height.

I did the same. But lately I did a lot of turning between centers. I had to remove the workpiece to check the live center height.

Nick Wheeler06/08/2023 21:38:36
1227 forum posts
101 photos

I just use a digital height gauge set to the measurements I took from the cross-slide and bed ways when I got the lathe. Those are on a sticker near the headstock.

It's not worth spending any more time than that on something I might use once a year.

SillyOldDuffer06/08/2023 21:46:32
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

I like it. Depending on circumstances I use 3 methods:

1. Nipping a strip against a rod held in the chuck (when the rod is going to be turned)
  2. Setting against a rod turned to a cone held in the chuck (for accuracy)
  3. Setting against a column carefully turned to height that stands on the ways. (for accuracy when a job is already in the chuck and a tool needs setting.)

Sonic's idea is an improved column. Better because my column is easily knocked over and last time it fell on the floor the reference edge was damaged. Sonic's version has a nice base, is shorter because it reaches over from the cross-slide, and can be reset after accidents.

Dave

DMB07/08/2023 08:25:23
1585 forum posts
1 photos

Oh dear! That old chestnut again! Here's what I do. First of all, I normally use my QCTP for which all of the toolholders are already set to centre height and locked by the top screw supplied with each holder. So fitting a tool and its holder automatically gets me spot on or very near as what matters. Myford OEM clamp, you can get a visually rough idea. When facing the end of the work, if it is spot on or slightly high, then tool will leave no spare metal in the centre. If there is a tiny pip of metal then I adjust the tool up by trial and error til it wipes out the pip. Quick and easy. Just need a thin piece of packing like a thin lid off a tin of sardines or mackerel fillets. Same material is good for trapping against the side of the work by the tool. If it's spot on, metal strip will be vertical but if not, adjust tool up or down as indicated. That's all I do, never bothered with centre height finders of any sort other than the simple means as above. Just store tool with it's packing til next time.

John

Edited By DMB on 07/08/2023 08:28:00

Bazyle07/08/2023 09:07:02
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Sonic. Thanks for this neat idea. I have an old rusty depth gauge that I can hardly use as the graduations are pitted and I have an identical usable one. But I hate to throw the old one away so this is a great use for it. I also probably have a ropey flywheel or something too for the base.

Michael Gilligan07/08/2023 09:20:35
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

That’s the spirit, Bazyle yes

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate