By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

channel section

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JACK SIDEBOTHAM05/08/2023 12:39:41
19 forum posts

does anyone know where l can buy channel iron in small section i.e 30mmx15mm ??,i need some for an up coming project (brakevan sole bars),but l cannot seem to find a supplier, thanks,jack.

Martin Johnson 105/08/2023 12:54:42
320 forum posts
1 photos

For rhat size try cutting 30 x 30 hollow section down. It will stay reasonably straight if you anneal it first. It will go banana shaped if you don't.

Martin

JasonB05/08/2023 13:39:27
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

last time I needed something that size I cut down to angles and welded them together, you do get crisper external corners using angle, square hollow is a bit rounded.

Stuart Smith 505/08/2023 13:46:52
349 forum posts
61 photos

Metals4u have 30 x 30 x 3 mild steel you could cut down or 30 x 15 x 4 stainless.

Stuart

duncan webster05/08/2023 19:05:20
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Jason,

How did you manage to weld 2 angles edge to edge and get the Web flat? If I tried it I'm sure it would come out with a bend and the flags not parallel.

JasonB05/08/2023 19:28:23
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I clamped the two pieces down onto some flat plate and ran a few short tacks on one side, turned it over and did the opposite side and then kept on doing a bit each side until it was all done. Idea was to try and balance out the previous weld so it did not all get pulled one way which you would get if you just ran a weld all down one side in one go. Milled off my poor welding after to just leave weld in the Vee preps.

More details and photos part way down this post

duncan webster05/08/2023 19:50:38
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I'm impressed. Very useful as I'm planning to make a LNER Y3 outline battery loco for my grand childern. It has a channel frame, this is better looking than sawn in half square tube

Alain Foote05/08/2023 20:11:18
69 forum posts
10 photos

You could try here **LINK** this is now sold by Steam Workshop I believe, but was designed for underframes so may be suitable.

Nicholas Farr05/08/2023 20:56:08
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by JasonB on 05/08/2023 19:28:23:

I clamped the two pieces down onto some flat plate and ran a few short tacks on one side, turned it over and did the opposite side and then kept on doing a bit each side until it was all done. Idea was to try and balance out the previous weld so it did not all get pulled one way which you would get if you just ran a weld all down one side in one go. Milled off my poor welding after to just leave weld in the Vee preps.

More details and photos part way down this post

Hi JasonB, yes that's a well known technique, often referred as stich welding, used it quite often during my working years.

Regards Nick.

duncan webster06/08/2023 18:17:33
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Alain Foote on 05/08/2023 20:11:18:

You could try here **LINK** this is now sold by Steam Workshop I believe, but was designed for underframes so may be suitable.

I had a look at that, scaling from a drawing on the interweb, the channel seems to be 18" deep, whereas the biggest Steam Workshop sell is 12" (scaled down to 5"g size). However with the construction of the loco, you wouldn't necessarily notice if it was folded from sheet, so a trip to the Middleton Railway seems to be in oredr, they've got one which I can measure up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate