Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

First job

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sonic Escape02/08/2023 18:38:32
194 forum posts
5 photos

Today for the first time made something useful on the lathe. A friend needed 4 stainless steel spacers for a packing machine that he is fixing. It took me almost 3 hours. I think I would starve to death if I'll have to make a living from my lathe skills.

I bought a 6.5mm DeWalt Extreme Cobalt drill for the holes. This drill is worth the money. After drilling ~170mm of stainless steel in total the cutting edge is still very sharp! It has also a triangular section on the tail so it doesn't slip in the chuck. I don't know why they don't make all drilling bits in this way.

This was a good time to use also my latest finding on the Sunday flea market, a huge Jacobs chuck. This relict has stamped on it Carpati (Carpathian). So it is an old Romanian model. I suppose this is the largest chuck made for MT3. It looks like it was used a lot but it opens/close smooth and the jaws are in very good condition. It is heavy and I like it a lot.

After every few mm I removed the drilling bit and add more paste and remove the swarf. There was a lot of swarf compressed inside. I don't know if it is ok to make such a deep the hole in one single drill.

In exchange I got an 8mm H7 reamer. It doesn't have a square tail but it still useful.

Andrew Johnston02/08/2023 18:51:23
7061 forum posts
719 photos
Posted by Sonic Escape on 02/08/2023 18:38:32:is heavy and I like it a lot.

In exchange I got an 8mm H7 reamer. It doesn't have a square tail....

It's a machine reamer not a hand reamer. Unlike a hand reamer it has a 45 degree angle on the front and those are the cutting edges. The start of the flutes are not tapered like a hand reamer. It doesn't have a square on the shank because it doesn't need one. it will be held in a chuck on a machine tool.

Andrew

Ady102/08/2023 22:02:26
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Well done you, plus you've learnt the advantage of decent drills about 10 years faster than me.

Chris Pearson 102/08/2023 22:37:32
189 forum posts
3 photos

That was quick!

Ady103/08/2023 03:09:57
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Saw your video

Your indexed tool looks like its too far away from the job, always cut with the toolpost as close as possible to minimise tool flex

When drilling deep I use an old toothbrush dipped in oil to clean the drill flutes and lubricate them between each pass

Edited By Ady1 on 03/08/2023 03:11:28

Gaz04/08/2023 23:03:16
18 forum posts
16 photos

Satisfying isn't it, well done!

samuel heywood05/08/2023 20:48:19
125 forum posts
14 photos

Pretty good for your First job i'd say!

Was many moons before i got beyond turning Ali & brass.

My first atempt at turning (mild) steel at 1st glance bore more than passing resemblence to a screw thread, rather than a smooth surface i was aiming for.blush

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate