Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Lake & Elliot hydraulic bottle jack seals

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jon hill 315/07/2023 17:14:13
166 forum posts
40 photos

Hi all I recently acquired an old Lake and Elliot m6 DL bottle jack. This currently serves as a door stop however providing I can get spares or get them made from a seal manufacturer it could be very handy for jacking the car, panel van etc. Can anyone point mW to a suitable supplier. Before anyone asks I have used jacks before and only use them with stands. Said jack does go up and retrack but looses oil as the seals are missing and or shot.

PS it would be quite handy to know the approximate age of this jack and company. Bonus points for a PDF service manual.

Photos in my album under bottle jack.

Edited By jon hill 3 on 15/07/2023 17:24:10

Kiwi Bloke16/07/2023 07:08:08
912 forum posts
3 photos

Sorry, I can't point you in a specific direction, but when I've needed hydraulic seals (jack, tractor, pallet truck, etc.), I've just gone to the local hydraulic/pneumatic seal dealer (who may also be a bearing distributor). With luck, it'll be a standard size and configuration - and cheap.

Nice bit of kit, especially compared to the oriental stuff available here.

This might help... www.classic-british-car-jacks.uk/Lake_&_Elliot_Jacks_4.htm

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 16/07/2023 07:09:55

Michael Horley16/07/2023 09:07:00
22 forum posts
2 photos

I recently used these people,123bearing.com for seals for a pallet truck. I first took it apart and measured the seals then matched them on their website. they are in France but postage was reasonable and the website easy to use.

Nick Hughes16/07/2023 11:34:55
307 forum posts
150 photos

These guys might be in a position to help:-

Commercial SuppliesLtd

noel shelley16/07/2023 11:42:45
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Allseals (east anglia) are in Norwich and have got me out of the mire many times. Careful measurement of the old seal and a description of it's shape should get the job sorted. Replace both the ram seal and the pump seal. Noel.

jon hill 316/07/2023 13:12:43
166 forum posts
40 photos

img_20230715_141837_1.jpgimg_20230715_141852_1.jpgimg_20230715_141907_2.jpgimg_20230715_142052_1.jpgThanks guys,

any suggestions as to a suitable grade hydraulic oil if seals are available?

Pics above for those who haven't had a look in my album.

Edited By jon hill 3 on 16/07/2023 13:23:24

Howard Lewis16/07/2023 14:02:32
7227 forum posts
21 photos

A good jack mif it will work satisfactorily. Lake and alliot were a good marque.

When I needed seals for a bottle jack (Being used in a bench press) I got some from a local seal supplier.

In my area, I would try Anglia Bearing Co, so look for a similar supplier near to you .

When you slacken the big top nut, whatever oil is present inn the jack is going tom pur out from around the base, so have it on a tray with plenty of rag ready!

Ideally refill with a hydraulic oil (Tellus? ) to your local oil company depot for their recommendation.

If the worst comes to the worst just use ordinary engine oil. The flow rate is minimal, and all that is neded is for the fluid to be incompressible.

It could be argued that the higher the viscosity the less it is liable to leak. But conbversely, thicker oil will make the jack harder to pounp up, and slower to retract.

HTH

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate