Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Just needs a rub with Scotchbrite

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JasonB09/07/2023 17:09:44
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I though this picture may elicit some Sunday afternoon activity particularly as we have another thread on the go about pressure vessels.

It's being discussed elsewhere but I seem to be the only one who has said don't waste any more time on it, from a traction engine of unknown design about 3 1/2" dia the large hole did have a pressure gauge "attached"

boiler.jpg

Ady109/07/2023 17:19:56
6137 forum posts
893 photos

A very handy hole to braze on a kettle spout and whistle

Teas up chaps!

JasonB09/07/2023 18:14:38
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I think it may be more use as a strainercrying

Andrew Johnston09/07/2023 18:40:23
7061 forum posts
719 photos

I saw the appropriate thread on another forum. It was tempting to say scrap the whole thing, as it looked to be freelance and poorly designed and constructed. But I thought it better keep quiet; but having seen the boiler above it reinforces my view. There are very few things worse than taking over someone elses uncompleted project.

Andrew

Mark Rand09/07/2023 21:55:18
1505 forum posts
56 photos

Should be alright up to about 5psig...

duncan webster09/07/2023 22:09:43
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Looks like soft soldered, weigh it in

Nigel Graham 210/07/2023 00:12:20
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Nearly as much solder as copper....

A sad sight when you think of the price of the materials (never cheap even relatively to era) and worse the effort someone has put into it all so innocently, apparently without having sought help or advice.

===

It reminds me of an incident at least 30 years ago in my club, in the days when we would test a boiler then complete just a simple form and card record.

One member was notoriously eccentric (put politely), but not always in a good way in workmanship and what he dismissed as "theory" - i.e. why his freelance traction-engines to about 3-inch or so scale size didn't always steam very well, or why injectors are not rubbish and do work.

On the evening in question, though, he showed another side by introducing us to a gentleman who had taken up model-engineering in retirement, with a locomotive. I'll call this chap Len - you'll see why.

The two arrived with Len carrying a shiny new copper boiler. His workmanship was first-rate: it transpired he had been a coppersmith and the boiler was the simplest so first part of the project for him!

He wanted a hydraulic test on it. Certainly!

After we'd admired, even envied, the superb forming and silver-soldering, we connected the test-set and laid the boiler gently on its back on a padded bench. Then saw the inside of the firebox...

Oh dear.

Size and shape suggested a 3.5" g loco, LNER. Only, the inner firebox was nearer MacDonalds 'M' than graceful Doncaster Arch, it were that buckled.

There were only a few throat-plate and back-head stays, none down the sides, no sign of rod or girder crown-stays.

Len assured us his preliminary hydraulic test had been to working-pressure only - but he had not looked underneath it, and it had not leaked. He had brought the drawing, revealing he had worked faithfully to it, lack of stays and all....

The drawing was a rather low-quality photocopy; but far worse, strangely bore no designer's or publisher's names or trade-marks.

It was horrible having to explain to our upset guest that it was to a thoroughly wrong design, and not repairable. We asked Len where he'd obtained the plans. He had brought us only the boiler drawing, so Goodness knows what other nightmares awaited unsuspecting tyros.

We wanted to send a warning letter to Model Engineer about this dangerously poor plan set, and hope someone might know its source. Whether anything could have been done about it, is another matter. If sold by way of trade it could now be "not fit for purpose", but I don't know if that was the law then.

Unfortunately but also very curiously, neither Len nor his host would or could tell us his source.

We never saw the poor chap again, and have no idea if he ever found a proper design to build.

A very sad do.

As for Mr. Eccentric, formerly a dockyard machinist.... (passed away maybe twenty years ago) he had a temper more fusible than a plug. Allegedly, from more than one of his ex-colleagues, he once even threw a lathe chuck down the workshop. A few years after that unhappy evening with his guest, he went too far with us.

The society had to stop a repeat hydraulic test on his own traction-engine, but only until he'd repaired simple but significant fittings leaks. The structure was fine. He took such umbrage though, that he still operated it anyway at a fete soon after, despite the expired ticket. We immediately "requested he resign".

He did. We never saw him or his engines again; he may have abandoned the hobby.

I have no idea what happened to his two or three engines, but sadly his last was so rough and botched, and looked it, it makes the OP's acquisition look "Highly Commended".

Edited By Nigel Graham 2 on 10/07/2023 00:22:26

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate