Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Bennett27/12/2022 01:56:12
2 forum posts

Hi I’m new to engineering.

Thor 🇳🇴27/12/2022 08:34:34
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the forum, many helpful members on here. What are your interests when it comes to Model Engineering?

Thor

Bazyle27/12/2022 12:03:49
6956 forum posts
229 photos

If you spend twixmas reading the whole forum you will learn everything you need to know.

Howard Lewis27/12/2022 12:57:13
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome!

Where are you located? It might be possible that if you need hands on, or face to face, help someone might be close enough to visit.

Do find a local model engineering society and join.

As well as this forum, you will learn a lot there, and have the company of like minded people.

If you haven't got any, some books may be great help, such as books by Stan Bray, Ian Bradley, Sparey, harold hall, David Clark, Dave Fenner and Neil Wyatt will answer many of your questions (And some that you haven't even thought of! )

As reference books you will certainly need a set of Zeus Charts, and you will often find a need to refer to Tubal Cain's "Model Engineer's Handbook"

As a beginner, take time to learn the basics, and walk before trying to sprint..

Make your mistakes on relatively cheap material, rather than an expensive casting.

Learn by making simple tools (Centre Height Gauge, Tap Wrench, Die Holders, - hand held, or better, Sliding Tailstock ones ) You will learn and have tools that you can use for years to come.

Go for it!

Howard.

David George 127/12/2022 20:05:53
2110 forum posts
565 photos

Hi Mathew welcome to the forum. Where roughly do you live as if helps with local knowledge. What are you interested in.

David

noel shelley27/12/2022 22:07:36
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Welcome to the party Mathew, most of what you may need to know is here - somewhere ! Noel.

Matthew Bennett01/01/2023 20:49:08
2 forum posts

Hi all thanks for welcome. I’m trying to make a static slide valve engine from bar stock . And then on to castings. I’ve made two oscillating engines so far one single acting and one double acting. Double acting very steam/air consumptions. 3,1/4 bore 3/,1/4 stroke will do that. I know it’s small for some of you guys. But for me it’s big at the moment. I live in Chesterfield I know of the model clubs around me but there more railway I like it but just not going that route at the moment. Looking for some good engineering show for 2023.

Jeff Dayman01/01/2023 21:02:07
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Google "Elmer Verburg Free Plans". Lots of good bar stock engine designs by this author, with beginners in mind. Stan Bray and Tubal Cain also have some "simple steam" designs but Elmer's are easier generally and with few or no drawing errors. Elmer's plans are in inches - just multiply his inches sizes in the drawings x 25.4 to get mm sizes. For reference , .125 inches = 3.175 mm

Harry Wilkes01/01/2023 21:13:41
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Welcome to the forum

H

Stephen Harris 503/01/2023 07:04:11
19 forum posts

Hi everyone.

I have recently joined this forum and find it very useful.

I am a retired maintenance fitter (73) and like to try my hand at any skills, although not always with the best results !!!

I have a reasonable workshop set up, Colchester student, Tom Senior, pillar drill and am fairly proficient at using them. Plus a fair amount of small tools.

I live near Droitwich , Worcestershire, and not far from the Bromsgrove society of engineers, where my mate is a member, so I will have to go along and meet them.

I am not a specific "model engineer" as such but just like making things.

Howard Lewis03/01/2023 11:46:47
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome Stephen.

You are not alone, lots on here use their machines to make / repair things.

Either to support their hobby, (Car, Motorcycle, restoration, model or full scale railways, clock making, you name it! ), or to actually make models.

By all means go and join the Bromsgrove Club. You will find like minds, and mutual help.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate