vat on parcels

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
peter ravenscroft13/12/2022 18:24:51
100 forum posts
3 photos

hi just a bit of information regarding vat on parcels

i recently received parcels from my daughter in canada for christmas

only to find that i had to pay vat on them as the value was over £39 so £35 later i got the parcel £16 of witch went to the royal mail (£8 per transaction)

so be warned if you order anything from abroad you may also have to pay vat on it

i belive this came into force on the1st of august this year

regards

peter

Dave Halford13/12/2022 18:48:44
2536 forum posts
24 photos

VAT was payable on imports back in the 70's. They taxed you on the value (import duty) then they put VAT on top

Steviegtr13/12/2022 22:39:54
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Anything imported from USA/ Canada has always had charges on them. From China / India & the like it does not seem so much.

Steve.

Paul M14/12/2022 09:29:34
86 forum posts
4 photos

Last year I purchased something from Holland and after a few weeks got a £300 bill for vat via the carriers. I presume that is as a result of Brexit. I don't know whether that has changed.

Howi14/12/2022 10:06:47
442 forum posts
19 photos

it all depends on the country, and the sellers VAT status, countries such as USA,Canada etc you will have to pay inport duties and VAT on the total plus any carrier charges for handling.

As for EU, if the seller is UK vat registered then there should be no more to pay, an example, in October I purchased a watch from Germany, the price I paid was that quoted on the web site, so very fast delivery and no more to pay the courier (DHL)

Steambuff14/12/2022 10:26:06
544 forum posts
8 photos

If you purchase from eBay (or Amazon UK) now and it is shipped from the EU or China/India VAT is included (Added when you check out) ... You can see the VAT if you look at the invoice.

Also India/China seen to declare a low price i.e. <10$ so it comes under the threshold for VAT/Duty.

I have always had to pay VAT/Duty for items from USA/Canada when it is over the limit. (Excluding Books)

Dave

Dave Wootton14/12/2022 11:29:56
505 forum posts
99 photos

The duty from the EU seems a bit random, I ordered a flywheel casting from Atelier MB which cost 59 euros plus vat ( paid on ordering) and paid no duty, yet my friend ordered a slightly more expensive one from the same company a week later and was charged £30 duty and administration fee. Have had similar things in the past when no duty charged, yet a repeat identical order a month or two later was charged duty on.

Have always had to pay the duty from the US, it seems their authorities are hot on that sort of thing as the sender will never undervalue an item on the customs form, not that I've ever asked of course! The Chinese seem to put a minimal value on everything, although it is some years since i bought anything direct from China.

Atelier MB castings and service excellent BTW, wish I'd seen their Tigerli locomotive before starting my current project loco, would have prevented much whingeing and gnashing of teeth.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 14/12/2022 11:33:03

peter ravenscroft14/12/2022 11:39:01
100 forum posts
3 photos

my daughter has been in Canada for 30 years and we have never had to pay before that is why I brought it up I got a card through the post telling to pay I went to my local parcel office and paid there

regards

peter

Dave Wootton14/12/2022 12:43:44
505 forum posts
99 photos

Correction to my above post re EU imports, just found the Atelier MB invoice and I did not pay vat at the time of ordering, just for the flywheel and postage. Shows how awful my memory is getting!

Looks like no-one bothered to collect the vat, the courier just left it on the doorstep, that was back in October and I've had no request for payment.......yet.

duncan webster14/12/2022 15:50:26
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Dave Wootton on 14/12/2022 11:29:56:

Atelier MB castings and service excellent BTW, wish I'd seen their Tigerli locomotive before starting my current project loco, would have prevented much whingeing and gnashing of teeth.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 14/12/2022 11:33:03

Looks like a nice loco, but 472 euros for a set of drawings is a bit steep.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate