Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hello from Edinburgh

New member introduction

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Shepherd03/12/2022 12:15:32
9 forum posts
5 photos

Hello all, Alan here from Edinburgh. Just starting to fit out a garage workshop so I'll undoubtedly be popping up now and again looking for advice.

Howard Lewis03/12/2022 20:36:44
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Welcome!

If you are a newbie,on here, some questions.

What equipment do you have?

What are you proposing to make?

Have you found and joined a local model engineering club? If not, you would be well advised so to do.

Lots of expertise on here, on all sorts of subjects, so don't be afraid to ask!

Howard

noel shelley03/12/2022 22:13:47
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Welcome on board Alan, I can only repeat Howards words, if you have questions then we will have an answer. Noel.

David George 104/12/2022 08:09:00
2110 forum posts
565 photos

Hi Alan welcome to the forum. Just ask on here and you will get loads of information.

David

Alan Shepherd04/12/2022 09:21:04
9 forum posts
5 photos

Morning Howard,

Most of what I use currently are basic hand tools and a decent bench grinder, although I treated myself to multi-process welder last year and have been teaching myself MIG & TIG since then.

Most of the work I have done to date has been in the restoration of tiny old Italian motorbikes, and I've spent hundreds pf pounds and spent many months waiting for bushes, spacers, studs, bespoke washers and the like, hence I started looking at mini-lathes. Bikes will continue to be my main thing, but as I started looking around I saw a lot of interesting modelling projects which look like good fun and good way to learn some machining skills.

As to what I'll be working on, that's still up for debate

Latest project (ok it's a bike, but I've seen bigger models!) was a 1970 Malanca Competizione, great little micro engine to rebuild

Alan

Posted by Howard Lewis on 03/12/2022 20:36:44:

Welcome!

If you are a newbie,on here, some questions.

What equipment do you have?

What are you proposing to make?

Have you found and joined a local model engineering club? If not, you would be well advised so to do.

Lots of expertise on here, on all sorts of subjects, so don't be afraid to ask!

Howard

Alan Shepherd04/12/2022 09:21:26
9 forum posts
5 photos

1.jpg

Alan Shepherd04/12/2022 09:22:10
9 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks David

Posted by David George 1 on 04/12/2022 08:09:00:

Hi Alan welcome to the forum. Just ask on here and you will get loads of information.

David

Alan Shepherd04/12/2022 09:22:37
9 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Noel

Posted by noel shelley on 03/12/2022 22:13:47:

Welcome on board Alan, I can only repeat Howards words, if you have questions then we will have an answer. Noel.

Howard Lewis04/12/2022 13:05:43
7227 forum posts
21 photos

It seems that before too long the questions are goping to be

"What lathe should I buy"? and

possibly

"What mill shall I buy"/

In both cases, Don't rush.

Buy some books on lathework, and having made a purchase (Budget, Space, End products will all influence your choice )

The budget should allow for buying measuring equipment, 6" rule, Digital, Dial, or Vernier Calliper, Dial Indicators, Magnetic Base spring to mind, as you progress.

Although the Mag base and DTIs will be needed to set up the lathe, with some advice and help from the more experienced.

Probably a Bench Grinder, for tool sharpening, also.

Joining a M E Club, should allow you to see and watch a variety of machines in action, and techniques.

Then, when you have a lathe and have set it up, again, don't rush into making things.

The first things to make are mistakes on cheap material, from which you can learn.

Then progress to making simple tools, as a further learning. You will use the Tap Wrenches, Die Holders , Centre Height Gauge, Mandrel handle etc for many years to come.

HTH

Howard

Harry Wilkes04/12/2022 15:13:51
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Welcome to tlhe forum

H

Hillclimber05/12/2022 10:16:16
215 forum posts
51 photos

Alan, I'm in EH4 close to the Dean Bridge. And have a thing about historic race cars.

If you ping me a number on a direct message, I'd be happy to show you what I have squeezed in. And, more importantly, why.

Cheers, Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate