Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

My first build

The first trial run of my first build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Rea17/07/2022 14:53:03
32 forum posts
7 photos

This is my first attempt at a model engine. I chose an Elmer's Grasshopper as I think they look brilliant running. I am ridiculously pleased with it. Now just a bit of fettling and tidying up.

https://youtu.be/DzNhpbGo9Bw.

Also my first attempt at posting a link. This is the engine running.

JasonB17/07/2022 14:55:11
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Turned out well

Edited By JasonB on 17/07/2022 14:55:38

DiogenesII17/07/2022 15:13:42
859 forum posts
268 photos

Looks good, nice work!

Swarf, Mostly!17/07/2022 16:11:53
753 forum posts
80 photos

Mark,

I congratulate you on your Grasshopper build.

For various reasons, despite being a reader of ME for a long time and a member of this forum, also for a long time, and having made a great deal of swarf, I have never built an engine! If I had, my first choice would have been a Grasshopper; I still have an envelope of drawings for one in my filing 'system'.

You refer to the 'Elmer's Grasshopper', ought I to know about the 'Elmer' part of the description? How many variations are there on the Grasshopper theme?

In Southampton, there used to be a chain ferry across the River Itchen, just downstream of where the Itchen Bridge is now. When the ferry was taken out of service, its Grasshopper engine was removed and, the last time I heard, was preserved in one of Southampton City Council's cavernous store-rooms. I left Southampton in year 2000 so I am not up-to-date but I believe, in pre-lockdown times, that engine could be viewed by arrangement?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 17/07/2022 16:13:13

Thor 🇳🇴17/07/2022 16:33:54
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Mark,

Your engine looks good, well done. I have built a few steam engine model but only one beam engine; Rudy Kouhoupt's Walking-beam engine.

Thor

not done it yet17/07/2022 17:52:03
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I am ridiculously pleased with it.

And so you should be! Looks good.

Jim Nic17/07/2022 22:23:42
406 forum posts
235 photos

A good result Mark, well done.

Jim

Mark Rea18/07/2022 11:27:15
32 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks Guys.

And thanks JasonB for sorting the video. I am just mastering steam engines, the internet is a hundred years away yet.

Ramon Wilson18/07/2022 11:34:14
1655 forum posts
617 photos

That's a great result indeed for a first engine Mark - you should justifiably be pleased with your endeavours.

Always great to see something you've made burst into life and run and yours looks to be running well

'Congratulations' are well deserved.

Fired with such a good result what do you have in mind next?

Regards - 'Tug'

Mark Rea18/07/2022 11:56:33
32 forum posts
7 photos

Actually my next plan is a Honda CBF 500 Scrambler.

My other hobby is building one off motorcycles.

There will be another build and at some stage I think a simple boiler may be in order, but I have other things to do before my next model. I am thinking as age creeps up motorcycles may not be the best thing and I will need something for my retirement in a lot fewer years than I like. Possibly a glow plug engine could be next but I have seen a few lovely looking beam engines I quite fancy building. I have four motorcycles in the garage at the moment and even though one of them belongs to "er indoors" she still thinks I have too many???? Stationary engines are smaller and I might get a few more in under her nose. angelangel

Michael Moore17/09/2022 10:35:37
36 forum posts

Fantastic build, Mark. It looks superb.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate