Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

DIN3113? - permitted max. jaw opening for 19mm

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Phinn14/06/2022 18:52:18
1076 forum posts
129 photos

I recently bought a new HAZET 600LG-19 combination spanner.

The open end is a very sloppy fit on M12 19mm hex nuts. I measured it with calipers and it is 19.35mm AF. All the other 19mm spanners I own are around 0.15mm narrower than this, and a much better fit on the nuts I've used them on.

I don't fancy using an extra long spanner, which is what this is, with this much slop on a 19mm fastener, and I plan to return the spanner to the seller.

Before I do so, can anyone tell me what the DIN standard stipulates as the maximum permitted jaw opening on a 19mm combination spanner?

I already have a 10mm and a 13mm in the same Hazet range, and there is no problem of the present kind with either of those.

Clive Foster14/06/2022 19:29:43
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Bill

Seems to be pretty much nothing useful freely available on the internet.

Best I could find was a sales catalogue from Gedore which on page 120-121 implies that the DIN 3110 tolerance on a 19 mm spanner is up to 0.3 mm oversize.

**LINK**

https://us.gedore.com/fileadmin/Kataloge/EN/116_151_05_Spanners_2017_EN.pdf

Which seems a lot and almost as much oversize as your spanner.

Interpreting a graph that is more pretty presentation than scientific Geodore claim to make theirs to no more than a touch over 0.1 mm oversize.

I actually have a Gedore 19 mm open ended spanner and that measures 19.11 mm using a micrometer so the claim may be well founded.

Digging deeper into my motley collection Elora and CK come out a bit under 19.2 mm whilst the various no name and lower end (Kamsa) ones are a bit over.

Clive

Edited By Clive Foster on 14/06/2022 19:29:56

SillyOldDuffer14/06/2022 19:31:50
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Sounds wrong. Could the supplier have accidentally sent a ¾" spanner? Similar to 19mm, but slightly larger.

Bill Phinn14/06/2022 20:26:42
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Thanks for the replies, Clive and Dave.

That's useful information, Clive. It looks like the Hazet is very top-side at best.

Dave, the spanner is from Amazon [where the others were bought from], and it is clearly marked 19 [see picture with the Draper].

I've attached some pictures, showing four different 19mm spanners [first the Hazet, then Draper, Yamoto, Kamasa] and, for further comparison's sake, two 3/4 spanners. The Hazet, at 19.35/19.36mm, seems to be a radical outlier.

hazet 19mm.jpg

draper 19mm.jpg

yamoto 19mm.jpg

kamasa 19mm.jpg

three quarters af one.jpg

three quarters af two.jpg

JasonB14/06/2022 20:35:58
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Seems they are made by broaching so should all be constant, why not contact them and ask what the size should be, this chap seemed happy with the measurement

https://www.hazet.de/media/mp4/39/86/85/600lg_produktvorstellung.mp4
Mike Poole14/06/2022 20:57:07
3676 forum posts
82 photos

No doubt there is a tolerance on nuts so a small nut and big spanner are going to be sloppy. Where possible I prefer to use the ring end on a combination spanner for initial loosening and final tightening. A spanner that is a tight fit can be a pain to use as I have discovered when my 7/16” is hiding and I have used an 11mm. A brand new Facom measures 19.15mm and an old Kamasa 19.3mm.

Mike

Gerald Howarth14/06/2022 22:10:47
6 forum posts

Accoding to ISO 691, the tolerance on the jaw opening is from 19.06mm to 19.36mm. So all the spanners are actually correct but as said earlier I wouldn't be happy with the 19.36 for a brand new spanner.

Gerry

Peter G. Shaw16/06/2022 11:14:55
1531 forum posts
44 photos

Well, there's a thing, my 19mm open ended spanner measures 19.2 to 19.5mm. Mind you, it is 60 years old, noticeably worn and was made by T.H.Williams.

Peter G. Shaw

Nicholas Farr16/06/2022 14:01:09
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Bill, just had a measure of the open end of a few metric ones, Britool Std. combo 19.42, but this has had over 30 years of daily use plus another 15 years of not so daily use. Halfords Professional combo 19.25, about six years on and off home use. Draper Stubby combo 19.23 infrequent home use. Rolson Stubby combo with ratchet 19.26, infrequent home use. Toolzone Flexy-head combo 19.41, nearly new very infrequent home use and a Britool Long reach 19.34, 30 plus years of low moderate use. I've also measured three 3/4" ones in mm's. A Taiwan combo 19.44, unknown usage. 3/4" Torq combo 19.36, about six years old but very little usage. A Gordon Tools double open ended 19.36, moderate home use many years ago but not so much now. Personally, I wouldn't worry about using yours myself, but I would only ever put a very heavy loading on an open ended spanner of any make with a good degree of caution and like Mike Poole has suggested, I've used nuts that are smaller than others although they are designated to be of the same size. It's a pain on the other hand, when you have to fight to get a spanner on of off a nut.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 16/06/2022 14:02:29

Bill Phinn16/06/2022 17:31:21
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Thanks to everyone for the further replies.

I emailed Hazet on 14th asking what their own target range of jaw opening is for a 19mm spanner. I've not yet received any response. I'll wait till next week and if they don't reply I'll just initiate a return.

As an alternative to the Hazet, I'm toying with getting a "Britool Hallmark CEXM19". If anyone has any experience [good or bad] of Britool Hallmark CEXM long spanners, I'd be interested to hear more.

I might have gone for a 19mm "Stahlwille 14" long combination instead, but at only 265mm long that hardly qualifies as a long pattern spanner in my book.

Neil Lickfold16/06/2022 21:34:19
1025 forum posts
204 photos

My suggestion is to go to a place that sells spanners and measure them, then buy the one you are happy with. I am sure that they have many sets of tooling producing these things. And some will be from when the tooling is fresh and others, possibly the smaller ones, are from when the tooling is well worn. Some are designed to have extra clearance for when working in areas of adverse conditions in dusty dirty places. As an old mechanic said, when working in the dirt, take the older worn tools to that site, the new ones will only bind. Looks like your new ones are for working in outback Australia in amongst the red dirt.

Bill Phinn21/06/2022 18:06:22
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Thanks for your reply, Neil. Because I don't work in the Australian outback among the red dirt, or anywhere similar, I returned the Hazet. Hazet themselves haven't replied to my inquiry.

In place of the 19mm I bought a whole set of long spanners by Toptul, a Taiwanese manufacturer.

I've attached a photo showing the jaw opening of the Toptul 19mm and one of the whole set alongside the Hazet.

The Toptul 19mm is 347mm long, which is a shade longer than the Hazet.

toptul af size.jpg

toptul long spanner set.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate