Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Gib missalignment

Newbie has issues understanding the topic

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Igor P22/03/2022 23:45:41
8 forum posts

Hello.

I have made a new brass gib for my SX1 mini mill.

They look bad and contact only on two lines and not 2 surfaces. Why did this happen?

pgk pgk23/03/2022 10:53:08
2661 forum posts
294 photos

Perhaps some more info re how you went about it and pictures if possible might get some folk on here to have ideas about what went wrong.
I see there is a thread about these here

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=100234

pgk

Hopper23/03/2022 11:13:38
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Impossible to say without pictures.

JasonB23/03/2022 12:06:42
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

can't really expect hand scraped and fitted parts at that sort of price.

HOWARDT23/03/2022 12:15:41
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Warping during machining process.

MikeK23/03/2022 12:39:40
226 forum posts
17 photos

Igor's image seems not to be showing up in the forum software. The link is here: https://ibb.co/ZHYZ9yY

John Hinkley23/03/2022 13:09:14
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Blimey! Where do you begin with dovetails cut like that. I'd be doubtful if you'd get any improvement without re-machining the sliding surfaces. Sorry to be so negative, but I think you've got a bit of a Friday afternoon mill there.

John

MikeK23/03/2022 13:26:56
226 forum posts
17 photos

The roughness is probably just the very end of the channel. Worth noting that the gib screws on these are often the cause of problems, forcing the gib at an odd angle.

Roy Vaughn23/03/2022 15:37:37
70 forum posts
4 photos

I second what MikeK has said. I've just been through this with my X2. I machined the gib screws to a point which improved things a lot.

Igor P23/03/2022 18:45:33
8 forum posts

Picture of old gib.

Picture of new gib

Picture of new gib at an angle

I have no idea why pictures do not show.

Edited By Igor Petejan on 23/03/2022 18:56:16

Edited By Igor Petejan on 23/03/2022 19:09:46

Igor P23/03/2022 19:01:54
8 forum posts
Posted by Roy Vaughn on 23/03/2022 15:37:37:

I second what MikeK has said. I've just been through this with my X2. I machined the gib screws to a point which improved things a lot.

Will give it a try. Some prefer pointed gib screws, some say flat, I checked mine and they are flat. What about rigidity? Increasing it would be my goal. Also reduced friction, but that I already got due material combination.

Igor P23/03/2022 19:03:46
8 forum posts
Posted by John Hinkley on 23/03/2022 13:09:14:

Blimey! Where do you begin with dovetails cut like that. I'd be doubtful if you'd get any improvement without re-machining the sliding surfaces. Sorry to be so negative, but I think you've got a bit of a Friday afternoon mill there.

John

I also have distinct feeling this machine was made Friday afternoon just before Chinese new year after a few glasses already.

Edited By Igor Petejan on 23/03/2022 19:10:20

Igor P23/03/2022 19:11:58
8 forum posts
Posted by pgk pgk on 23/03/2022 10:53:08:

Perhaps some more info re how you went about it and pictures if possible might get some folk on here to have ideas about what went wrong.
I see there is a thread about these here

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=100234

pgk

I machined a 60° angle, just found out today it is supposed to be 55°.

Igor P23/03/2022 19:13:25
8 forum posts
Posted by MikeK on 23/03/2022 13:26:56:

The roughness is probably just the very end of the channel. Worth noting that the gib screws on these are often the cause of problems, forcing the gib at an odd angle.

Thanks MikeK!

Graham Meek23/03/2022 19:51:02
714 forum posts
414 photos

I am currently working on an article for Neil on Gib Strips.

One thing I have pointed out at the beginning of the article is to check the angle of the Dovetail. This is something that varies from 45 to 60 degrees. Each manufacturer having their own personal favourite.

Regards

Gray,

MikeK23/03/2022 20:18:34
226 forum posts
17 photos

If you use flat end gib screws you'll need to machine pockets into the gibs, at the appropriate angle. Otherwise the screws hit the gibs at the top (and only the top) and try to rotate it over. To be honest, I don't remember what I did for my X2 mill, but it's been okay...I do have a bar of cast iron to make new strips, though. (Lubed cast iron against cast iron has very low friction.) Have you marked up the gib with bluing to see where it actually contacts? Installing the gib with the screws backed out and watching it as you tighten them could be useful.

Getting an extra set of screws and putting, say, a point on them to experiment wouldn't be a waste of time, in my opinion.

As an aside, I put medium threadlock compound on the gib screw threads to avoid the need for the lock nuts. A piece of thin plastic may also work?

Mike

Pete Rimmer24/03/2022 00:43:47
1486 forum posts
105 photos

Godawful manufacturing all around there. None of the machined faces are particularly well done and the relief grooves are miles too big. It doesn't look like the angle of the moving dovetail matches the angle of the static one and there are is not enough bearing on the top and bottom faces to support the gib in any way.

I think that your best bet is to back off the adjuster screws and use feeler gauges down the side of that gib to gauge how much thicker it needs to be to fill the gap completely. Make a new gib from steel or cast iron (brass is a terrible choice for a sliding way) and machine it for the closest fit you can manage that allows movement. Spot it though the gib adjuster screw holes and drill the spots for pointed-end adjusters (or dog-end if you like). If you do a good job of it then the gib will have no choice but to sit parallel in the gap. The extra thickness will give better support and better lubrication retention and the table will sit much more rigidly on it's ways. When you machine the gib put the un-machined side towards the slide and the machined side towards the adjusters. If you can make a HSS scraper (or grind an old file) put scraping marks all along the working face for oil retention.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 24/03/2022 00:45:23

Nicholas Farr24/03/2022 08:15:57
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Igor, maybe your gib is a tad too tall. I doubt the angle you've cut it will make much difference and pointed screws should help clamping on the centreline of the gib, but might be a good idea to inspect the dove tail slides.

Regards Nick.

Graham Meek24/03/2022 10:28:42
714 forum posts
414 photos

Some observations from reconditioning more machine than I care to remember.

If there are dimples in the Gig strip then spherical ended screws are best. Pointed screws will quickly loose there adjustment, they dub over like a bent nail. This is due to the too and fro movement of the Gib as the feed changes direction. This is one of the reasons for doweling the Gib.

Grub screws with a cone to match the angle of the Gib, avoid the necessity to dimple the Gib and are best used with a flat surface on the Gib, but the Gib must be doweled. Or some other form of constraint used to stop endwise movement. They also give line contact rather than point contact.

Regards

Gray,

Roy Vaughn24/03/2022 10:54:14
70 forum posts
4 photos

The problem with my gib with spherical end screws arose because the dimples are too shallow and the contact was assymetric, forcing the gib into two lines of contact. The points are a bodge of course, a smaller radius hardened tip would be better but I just wanted to get the job done in a hurry. A better solution would be to drill the holes deeper to ensure symetrical contact with the original spherical tip, but setting up to drill accurately might be a pain.

Roy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate