Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

At my wits end trying to remove pulley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Callaghan11/03/2022 09:23:51
173 forum posts
7 photos

Hi chaps. The motor on my meddling pillar drill died. I now need to remove the aluminium pulley from the motor. There is a locking tap on the motor shaft and no matter what I try it will not come out. I have tried heating the pulley and tapping from below, nothing. I tried bathing in wd40 for a day, nothing. Due to. The tab being low down in the Center of the pulley I can,t get a good hit on it and pulling on it does nothing. So chaps, is their a way of getting this dam pulley off the shaft I am thinking that the only way open to me is to cut the shaft off the motor and knock it out from the bottom.

Former Member11/03/2022 09:29:29
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Brian Wood11/03/2022 09:39:29
2742 forum posts
39 photos

Is it the locking tab that's holding it on?

If so a photo or two may spark some ideas.

Brian

Alan Johnson 711/03/2022 09:39:30
127 forum posts
19 photos

A set of Litchfield Pullers would do the trick, or a hydraulic press and a a couple of bits of thick flat bar to support the pulley as you press the shaft out........ unless I am mis-understanding your problem. A photograph would be worth a thousand words!

noel shelley11/03/2022 09:44:59
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Multiple cycles of heating and cooling may work, the expansion of alli is far greater than steel. Proper puller , but be careful to pull on the centre NOT the edges of the pulley ? If hole in pulley is right through, using stout flat or angle iron bars to support the pulley and beat it out from the top, place something underneath to catch the motor. The motor is REALLY dead ? or is it repairable ? If you were near me I have hydraulic pulling and pushing kit ! Noel.

David-Clark 111/03/2022 10:15:55
271 forum posts
5 photos

Are there any grub screws holding the pulley on?

I think Meddings had double grubs crews on some of there fittings.

I.E. a grubs-crew with another grub screw on top to lock it.

Meddings are great drills, I used to maintain about 24 spindles when I was younger.

I would saw through the motor shaft and put the Philly into a lathe and drill most of the shaft out.

if you are very careful you may be able to bore out most of the remaining spindle, at least until you break through to the keyway.

Good luck.

Gordon Tarling11/03/2022 10:36:56
185 forum posts
4 photos

Get rid of the WD40 and use some proper penetrating fluid, like Plus Gas!

Michael Callaghan11/03/2022 11:10:01
173 forum posts
7 photos

Job done. Cutting the shaft and knocking it out from below did the job. Thanks for all your input.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate