Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

First lathe owner in Manchester

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
chris cunliffe11/02/2022 02:06:54
3 forum posts
2 photos

Just bought and refurbished my first lathe. I decided to get my own after years of getting a mate to make motorcycle and car parts for me. After owning American cars for over 45 years it was fortuitous that I have aquired an 81 year old American South Bend 9C. In the 4 weeks I have owned it I have stripped it down to the last screw and fully painted and refurbished it. My bench is now full of practice pieces and I am just mastering the dark arts of tool grinding and external and internal threading. I'm just waiting for a 32T gear to be delivered so I can make an Acme threaded operating screw for a 4 jaw chuck.

Brian H11/02/2022 07:41:03
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Hello Chris and welcome. Sound like you are doing OK in the lathe department. You may find this site useful for anything to do with machines.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/index.html

Brian

Speedy Builder511/02/2022 08:05:49
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Hi Chris, I believe that the Southbend headstock spindle thread is the same diameter and pitch as the Boxford lathe BUT the thread angle is 60 degrees and not the 55 deg of the Boxford. That said, my Sb faceplate fits my Bx lathe. The bed ways are the same, so steady etc all fit OK.

Someone else may be able to confirm that the screw cutting gears are the same ?

Bob

vic newey11/02/2022 09:29:14
347 forum posts
173 photos

I recently acquired a South Bend 9C and can confirm that Boxford gears and other parts fit on it o.k.

I also replaced the carriage handwheel spindle with a Boxford one. The reason Boxford parts fit is not because they illegally copied it but because Denford/Boxford were given the blueprints under the lend lease programme in the latter years of WW2 along with other manufacturers.

I have discovered to my cost that the Boxford faceplate fits models made after 1940 but the serial number on mine dates to 1939 and the Boxford does not fit.

This means I will also have problems getting another backplate as I want another chuck

Edited By vic newey on 11/02/2022 09:36:12

chris cunliffe11/02/2022 14:32:38
3 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks for the comments, I have already found most of the South Bend sites on the web and downloaded loads of info. My lathe came with a set of change wheels but only has 1x 32T wheel and I needed 2 to cut 8 TPI . Luckily lots of Boxford sellers on Ebay so I have one coming.

vic newey11/02/2022 15:27:35
347 forum posts
173 photos
Posted by chris cunliffe on 11/02/2022 14:32:38:

Thanks for the comments, I have already found most of the South Bend sites on the web and downloaded loads of info. My lathe came with a set of change wheels but only has 1x 32T wheel and I needed 2 to cut 8 TPI . Luckily lots of Boxford sellers on Ebay so I have one coming.

----------------------------------------------------

Does yours have a thread dial fitted?

chris cunliffe12/02/2022 15:51:19
3 forum posts
2 photos

Yes Vic it does have the thread dial19203b24-95eb-4d20-8ef7-7c48f1d8f50d.jpeg

Thor 🇳🇴12/02/2022 16:43:48
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Chris,

Your 81 year old South Bend looks very nice, you have done a good job.

Thor

vic newey12/02/2022 17:49:05
347 forum posts
173 photos

Looks nice, Mine came without a thread dial but now fitted with a Boxford one

Edited By vic newey on 12/02/2022 17:51:14

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate