Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Standards for pipe union fittings?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Best05/02/2022 20:44:54
406 forum posts
56 photos

Hi folks

I am finding model engineering pipework standards confusing, fittings have a nominal size, but can fit more than one pipe size by changing cones and nuts, and everything is imperial.

I have obtained a mix of nuts and cones, and I don't know what I have.

Is there a table somewhere on the internet where sizes are tabulated so I can identify the nuts? I assume I can identify the cones from their internal diameter.

This sort of question has come up before but it didn't help me in the short term, although I hope to be able to find the reference when I can get to the club and look at the old magazines.

thread link

Thanks for the help.

Rog

Andrew Johnston05/02/2022 21:05:19
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Don't know about standards, I just design, and make, what looks sensible for the pipe size I am using.

Andrew

Harry Wilkes05/02/2022 21:32:09
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Take a look on one of the ME suppliers website at the steam fittings you should soon work out what size fittings cover what size pipe. For ME use pipe/fittings are imperial. Try link

https://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/docs/Catalogue-current-1.pdf

H

Roger Best06/02/2022 17:45:49
406 forum posts
56 photos

Sorry Harry but I have downloaded the Polly catalogue and it conspicuously does not say what size A/F the nuts are, all the fittings are described solely on the nominal pipe size. The same goes for Macc Models and the ebay retailers I have looked at.

Harry Wilkes06/02/2022 18:03:14
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Sorry Roger I thought it may throw some light on 'fittings have a nominal size, but can fit more than one pipe size by changing cones and nuts, and everything is imperial.' for you

H

JasonB06/02/2022 18:17:18
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Doug Hewson has a table of fitting sizes on one of his Britannia drawings according to an article in ME 4666

John Purdy06/02/2022 18:17:36
431 forum posts
252 photos

Roger

I've sent you a PM.

John

Howard Lewis06/02/2022 18:33:46
7227 forum posts
21 photos

The standard dimensions will be found in in places like Bristish Standards, Machinery's Handbook, Kempe's Engineers Year Book etc and other places.

Some research will bring them to light.

"Everything is Imperial"

Since a lot of pipework is Imperial, you should expect the nuts, olives and threads to be in Imperial units. Don't go looking for 6.354 mm pipe; try 1/4"

On the Continent BSP is still used, although it is called Gas, for threaded fitting on taps (faucets ) etc. even if the copper piping is 10, 15 or 22 mm OD.

AND remember that pipe threads will be Whitworth form, and BSP refers to the pipe diameter. but will be larger in OD and have an Imperial pitch.

As an instance, a 1/4 BSP thread is 0.508" OD

Zeus charts will make some of this clearer..

Also be aware of the difference between Pipe sizes and Tube sizes. One is OD, the other is ID.

Howard

Dave Halford06/02/2022 18:57:59
2536 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by Roger Best on 05/02/2022 20:44:54:

Hi folks

I have obtained a mix of nuts and cones, and I don't know what I have.

This sort of question has come up before but it didn't help me in the short term, although I hope to be able to find the reference when I can get to the club and look at the old magazines.

thread link

Thanks for the help.

Rog

Hi Rog,

This is a simple the steam fitting is sized to fit the pipe. The cone fits pipe and the right nut is the one that fits the cone properly. Just like in full size house plumbing you never see a nut size mentioned but a 22mm fitting falls off a 15mm pipe.

JasonB06/02/2022 19:20:14
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

All this talk of domestic plumbing fittings, people must be making some big modelsdevil

Ken Swan's Jessie drawings also contain a table of sizes

Here you go this is even better I knew I had seen something before. This site not only gives step by step on how to make MODEL SIZE fittings but at the bottom of the page is a table of sizes. Download the pdf to see the table full size.

Edited By JasonB on 06/02/2022 19:21:12

Roger Best06/02/2022 20:22:07
406 forum posts
56 photos

laugh Extra Big thanks to JasonB and John Purdy.

Appreciable thanks to all others.

In my 40 years of engineering in the metric era I have found its not unknown for people to decide to not follow BS convention and decide that their fittings can be pretty much any shape they like, this is mainly because parts are made for an international market and they have never heard of BSI. Not unreasonably they usually include a drawing in the catalogue and nowadays the youngsters expect a CAD drawing on the website.

So here I am going back in time to the 1920s and customers are expected to know exactly what size everything is and put up with whatever that is.

Its a surreal situation for me, not a bad one, and its fun learning so thanks again for the help.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate