By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

LP gas tank construction

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Fisher 106/01/2022 21:57:09
7 forum posts

Hello. I am thinking of making a butane/propane tank for a small steam plant I have made?

I have a number of steam boilers in the past and am familiar with the design and stressing of them as well as the silver soldering etc.

I know that the safety factor generally accepted in copper boilers is 8 with a uts of 25000 psi and various additional factors for temperature, lap joints etc.

Now to my question. Can anybody give me the acceptable safety factor used in the design of miniature gas tanks as I cannot believe that the safety factor is as much as 8 after having looked at the thickness of the material in the tanks of some of the garden railway locos in our club.

I am quite happy to do the stress calcs before making the tank but would appreciate advice regarding the safety factor.

Regards.

Brian.

noel shelley06/01/2022 22:12:38
2308 forum posts
33 photos

The safety factor copper boilers is often 10 ! Then you look at a can of butane, just a tin can ! Butane has a low vapour pressure ! Just comments. Noel

JasonB07/01/2022 09:12:36
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I suppose once you start drilling holes in the barrel for bushes there is a need for something a bit more substantial than a tin can. Though for the few inches of copper tube needed for a tank it won't cost much to be cautious and allow a decent thickness. They also need a higher test pressure, about 330psi if I remember rightly.

Norman Billingham07/01/2022 10:07:32
56 forum posts

The vapour pressure of liquid butane at 20C is about 2.5 bar (37psi) so a test pressure of 330 psi is indeed a safety factor of around 9-10. However, the VP rises rapidly with temperature. It's about 5 bar (75psi) at 50C and 10 bar (150 psi) at 80C so you lose your safety factor rapidly if the tank gets hot - it's down to a factor of 2 at 80C.

Brian Fisher 107/01/2022 20:30:34
7 forum posts

I have just realised that I have been making a silly mistake in that I have been applying the safety factor to the proof test pressure and not the max working pressure.

The pressure regulation document published by the UK boiler test group stipulates that all miniature gas tanks shall be designed to be able to use 60/40 butane/propane and must not be heated to more than 60deg C.

At this temp the tank pressure will be 219 psi, so if the tank is designed for this pressure a 2in dia copper tube of .080in wall thickness will have a safety factor of 9 which seems much more sensible.

Cheers. Brian.

Former Member07/01/2022 20:39:02
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Brian Fisher 107/01/2022 21:28:45
7 forum posts

Hi br.

Your tank dimensions give a safety factor of around 7 which sounds pretty sensible to me.

Cheers

Brian.

SillyOldDuffer07/01/2022 21:32:28
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

A few considerations:

1. As the metal is stressed in a way that causes fatigue failure I'd be inclined to overrate the safety factor generously.
  2. Unlike a steam boiler, the contents aren't hot and corrosive, meaning welded steel could be used rather than Copper. Stronger.
  3. The energy potential of a full gas cylinder is much higher than that of a boiler of the same size. The boiler only stores thermal energy, whereas gas contains a lot of chemical energy. Although the gas container giving way won't cause much damage in itself, a spark will cause a fire with risk of a full blown explosion if the gas/air mix is right in a confined space. There's more energy in a small camping gas cartridge than a hand grenade:

The design is more about preventing leaks than resisting a relatively low pressure. The metal could be exremely thin provided careful attention was paid to joints and any other feature likely to develop fatigue cracks..However, to keep it simple I'd be inclined to over-engineer it: so what if the safety factor is massively high?

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 07/01/2022 21:35:48

duncan webster07/01/2022 22:16:19
5307 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by Brian Fisher 1 on 07/01/2022 20:30:34:

I have just realised that I have been making a silly mistake in that I have been applying the safety factor to the proof test pressure and not the max working pressure.

The pressure regulation document published by the UK boiler test group stipulates that all miniature gas tanks shall be designed to be able to use 60/40 butane/propane and must not be heated to more than 60deg C.

At this temp the tank pressure will be 219 psi, so if the tank is designed for this pressure a 2in dia copper tube of .080in wall thickness will have a safety factor of 9 which seems much more sensible.

Cheers. Brian.

But the end plates will have to either be thicker, or have stays, or if you're keen on metal bashing be 'torispherical', otherwise known as a domed end

Brian Fisher 107/01/2022 22:33:47
7 forum posts

Hi. Yes domed ends and a stay is not a problem if we are looking at say .064 or .08 thick material, it was my original thought of having to flange .16 thick 2in diameter ends that felt was a bit extreme.

Cheers Brian

Bazyle07/01/2022 23:10:51
6956 forum posts
229 photos

You should also find designs and advice around the Gauge 1 loco and model boat fraternity.

Brian Fisher 108/01/2022 09:37:06
7 forum posts

Thanks.

Brian

Samsaranda10/01/2022 17:42:17
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Aerosol cans that contain butane as a propellant when dropped into an open fire incinerator will go off like a hand grenade, propelling the remnants about 50 feet in the air, yes we tried it and you definitely need to retreat to a safe distance. Dave W

Brian G10/01/2022 17:59:50
912 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 07/01/2022 23:10:51:

You should also find designs and advice around the Gauge 1 loco and model boat fraternity.

G1MRA publish the code adopted by themselves and a number of other organisations on the public part of their website. The code does not cover a butane/propane mix above 60/40 and requires an initial hydraulic test at 400 psi even if the tank is marked "butane only" (the maximum mix for which the tank is designed must be indelibly marked on the tank ).

G1MRA website

Brian G

Edited By Brian G on 10/01/2022 18:00:40

old mart10/01/2022 21:07:32
4655 forum posts
304 photos

Another factor to think about is that the tank must never be filled right up, the liquid needs some gas volume to allow for changes of temperature.

Robert Atkinson 210/01/2022 21:35:07
1891 forum posts
37 photos

Another consideraton is low temperature. The liquid gas will cool was it evaporates. Many materials, including many steels become brittle at low temperatures.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate