Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Slightly large lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Simpson 331/12/2021 15:22:21
122 forum posts
2 photos

In my workshop I have a Myford S7 and a Boxford ME10. As they are very similar in size, I'm considering going for a slightly larger lathe. One of the more modern Boxford STS gearhead lathes looks a good size option. Had anybody got experience with STS range or suggest a suitable replacement for the ME10

John C31/12/2021 16:57:45
273 forum posts
95 photos

Hi Peter,

I have a Boxford STS 10-20 (often generically listed as X-10) with metric dials and can highly recommend it. It will cut metric and inch threads with use of a set of changewheels - these seem to go missing but are available. Changing the changewheels is very straightforward. The D1-3 chuck locking system is very practical, makes changing chucks a breeze and allows the use of operations in reverse. There is a bush that goes into the spindle to convert to MT3 if you want to use collets or tooling in the bore. Top speed of just over 1000 rpm is no limitation to me, and if you keep your other lathe that will give you the higher speeds. Tony Griffiths' site 'Lathes.co.uk' does a very good write-up on the STS variants - listed under Late Model Geared Head Boxfords,

John

Gavlar01/01/2022 19:34:34
119 forum posts
1 photos

I currently have an Boxford ME10 and a Boxford 280. in my workshop.

The X10 range outclasses the 3565 range by a country mile.

The X10 range is not much larger physically but has a bigger spindle bore, a bigger motor, greater swing, has a gear head and apart from the training lathes, an excellent gearbox. They have 6 or 9 (and possibly 12?) speeds depending on model. Mine was missing the changegears but a full delrin set can be had from ebay for about £60. They all come with 100/127 compound gear as standard. D1-3 spindle nose is (IMHO) far better than threaded. Whilst some sellers seem to hold out for silly money, they can be had for less than the cost of a decent AUD. There is currently one on ebay, well equiped with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, what appears to be a full set of changes gears and QCTP that has just been relisted as it didn't sell for the £2000 asking price.

One thing to beware of, the X10 range was never as popular as the 3565 range so whilst they are pretty bomb proof, if you do manage to break something you will struggle to buy replacement parts. If you need steadies, buy one that already has them, you will be very lucky to find any for sale and the few I have seen sellers ask silly money.

Richard Millington01/01/2022 20:31:09
101 forum posts
9 photos

I have a Boxford 280 (9 speed), a vast improvement on the BUD which was before it and with virtually no more space taken (just a little deeper).

Mine came with everything except steadies, I have already made a fixed steady and travelling is on the projects list.

If you get the original QCTP extra holders can be expensive, RDG ones can be made to fit with a little grinding to the slot.

Peter Simpson 301/01/2022 21:50:03
122 forum posts
2 photos

Are these gearhead versions much heavier than an ME 10. As my workshop is in my garden so my lathes and milling machines all needed to be stripped down to move the "lumps" from the drive to the workshop.

Gavlar01/01/2022 23:28:52
119 forum posts
1 photos

According to the X10 manual, they weigh between 365 and 385 kg, dependent on bed length. I'm not sure of the weight of the ME10, I seem to remember that on the proper base they are approaching 300 kg, but don't quote me. The X10 is not a lot more difficult to strip for transport than the earlier models.

Edited By Gavlar on 01/01/2022 23:31:54

clogs02/01/2022 07:44:03
630 forum posts
12 photos

I have a Super 7 with a thread cutting g/box plus a really sweet Colchester student Square head......

very happy with both....

Dont get to hooked up on who's bigger lathe u get....more important to find one thats not a junker....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate