Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New Wiggler-Quick Question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Mate30/12/2021 16:29:51
325 forum posts
52 photos

Hi, I recently bought a new Wiggler set.

Today I wanted to use it and found the following:
--I noticed the stiffness...
1-2 of the probes, the one with the sharpest point and the mone with a flat point, both of them the balls mounting in the holder seems not to run true and correct at the ball.
-If I mount the wiggler in the drill press and run it at a higher speed, I can get the sharp tip to run still, however then the stem to the ball runs out of true towards the ball. Can I trust this wiggler if it behave like this-?

2-The probe with the small & large ball, runs true at the large ball in the holder, and I get the small ball to run still. This one seems ok.

Should I return this set and buy one from another dealer, or does what hapopens at the ball in holder not influence the end result reahing a still running tip point(The point running still only)-?

Emgee30/12/2021 16:36:14
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Chris

If you bought a very cheap set you can improve the operation by lapping the probes into the ball joint, I don't use my similar very often but do not run it at high RPM when I do as the flailing stem stays in the deflected position.

Emgee

JasonB30/12/2021 16:40:52
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

What the ball and shaft do does not affect the way they work.

If you are running at high speed and getting the points true you probably have the ball's socket a bit tight as at high speed they will swing outwards as Emgee says.

SillyOldDuffer30/12/2021 16:54:38
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

I think it's OK

The stiffness is a compromise. Too loose and the wiggler might fly off, too stiff and it may not balance on the axis. My set is adjustable by slackening or tightening the holder.

The ball at the chuck end doesn't need to be particularly true. Wigglers work by balancing around the spindles spinning axis, which means the free end is correct when the point is stable. The other, fixed, end doesn't matter.

I rarely use my wiggler set! Instead a dress-pin (type with plastic ball on the end) in a blob of modelling clay is stuck to the end of the cutter or drill.

dsc04257.jpg

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 30/12/2021 16:54:51

Chris Mate30/12/2021 18:29:05
325 forum posts
52 photos

Thanks for the replies, the free end that matters is interesting, because I can just see the shaft is not properly in the ball towards its centre, so its interesting that that does not matter.

I used a small ruler to stabilise the tip, and know about the 1000 RPM speed, but could not find the info I was looking for.

If you got the wiggler deatailed theory theory somewhere linked I can read up on that, I would like to do that. I don't have a DRO yet so boaught a set it was cheap, still buying the other stuff 1st.

Edited By Chris Mate on 30/12/2021 18:30:49

Trevor Johnson 130/12/2021 19:34:48
10 forum posts

Chris Mate, have a look on You Tube, plenty of videos showing how to use it there.

Using wiggler on a mill will find you some.

Chris Mate30/12/2021 19:42:29
325 forum posts
52 photos

Trevor Johnson 1: I am fimiliar how they work, but now that I bought a set for the 1st time, My question was about what seems to me a manufacturing fault, it looks the stems at the ball that fits into the holder was not inserted in a hole that points to the centre of the ball, so when it turns it looks "off centre" at the ball. So apparently that does not effect the end result which is you get the tip stabilised and then that is the centre of the spindle, which you then aim at your mark on part, and if you marked correctly the hole drilled will be around the mark in my case the centre.
This is how I understand it now. I also seen its can be dangerous to fingers and hands.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate