Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Chuck back plate blank

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Me.21/02/2021 15:49:44
147 forum posts
30 photos

Anyone know where I can get a blank to make a backplate for my chuck, its to suit a L00 taper - Harrison 140.

Seems to be a serious lack of L00 taper backplates.

Oldiron21/02/2021 16:12:14
1193 forum posts
59 photos

You probably need to ring round steel stock holders to see if they will cut a slug of BMS or Cast Iron of approximatly the right size for the back plate.

regards

JasonB21/02/2021 16:13:14
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Rotagrip do them though not cheap

Lee Rogers21/02/2021 16:38:39
203 forum posts

RDG do them but currently out of stock. Maybe a phonecall could shed some light on when available.

Me.21/02/2021 16:45:38
147 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by JasonB on 21/02/2021 16:13:14:

Rotagrip do them though not cheap

Exactly what I want to make my own - .....

I think the RDG ones are too small for the L00 taper - unless i'm looking at the wrong thing.

JasonB21/02/2021 17:07:03
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by Me. on 21/02/2021 15:49:44:

Seems to be a serious lack of L00 taper backplates.

Exactly what I want to make my own

Me, can you confirm if you just want an unmachined casting or billet to make your own from scratch or a L00 backplate that is part machined eg thread and taper cut so you just need to cut the register. Until you cut the taper it does not become an L00 backplate and could be used for anything though you will need one with a larger boss than the usual Myford blank castings.

If it's just a billet, M-machine will cut you grey or SG Iron or you could get EN3 from someone like Steelcitygav on e-bay.

Dave Halford21/02/2021 17:16:34
2536 forum posts
24 photos

Is this type thing no good (fordeight is Rotagrip)

Oldiron21/02/2021 18:14:10
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Dave Halford on 21/02/2021 17:16:34:

Is this type thing no good (fordeight is Rotagrip)

That looks about right Dave. The L00 thread is i believe 3-3/4 x 6 so it looks as though there is enough meat there. It may be a little bit tight on the taper length though after cleaning up.

regards

Me.22/02/2021 08:48:21
147 forum posts
30 photos

I looked everywhere on the Ebay and came up with the nothing like that - that is exactly what I'm after.

I'll send them a message now. When you search there own web site it doesn't come up.... maybe it's me.

I'm not fussed if it was an unfinished project, a casting, billet or a finished article - I just wanted a L00 backplate.

old mart22/02/2021 15:41:30
4655 forum posts
304 photos

It's not a backplate that I would like to tackle making. To get the taper right, I would get a dti set exactly on the centre line and run it against the nose taper of the spindle to set the compound. That is the most critical part, the threads are easier. Google for drawings of the L00 size. You will probably have to get a cut length of cast iron of slightly bigger than your chuck diameter and drill and tap it to hold it on a faceplate.

Every source of this size seems to be very expensive wherever they come from. I would check out the backplate listings on ebay every day, you could be lucky.

Me.22/02/2021 15:53:50
147 forum posts
30 photos

Hi - I'm pretty good at cutting tapers now having been "thrown" in at the deep end if you like with my Herbert Tapered Milling machine.

Setting up for the taper is the easy bit - the boredom of removing the metal is the hardest part to endure.

Theres plenty of "how too" videos on Youtube and believe me Ive watched them all...... Yawn.....

I am constantly on Ebay always looking - Plenty of L0 and L1 but the baby is proving harder to source.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate