Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

2" Clayton Wagon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Cameron19/05/2020 09:30:26
368 forum posts
122 photos

Hello,

I am gathering parts to build the clayton wagon, I have already got the reprint of the Clayton articles that were republished on this forum. I searched the forum to see if I could find other build threads which sadly they seem to be only a few questions and answers on the wagons, which were helpful, but not a build thread.

What interested me was that there was a series of later articles that came about and wondered if anyone has a copy I could buy from them to review. these are as follows.

• Vol159, issue3814
  • Vol166, issue 3894, pg384
  • Vol170, issue 3944, pg516
  • Vol170, issue 3946, pg652
  • Vol171, issue 3948, pg28.

Id welcome any additions to this list that anyone may have, and assistance in tracking them down.

Hopefully this will turn into a good build log, but time will tell.

Thanks Jon

Edited By Jon Cameron on 19/05/2020 09:44:43

Fowlers Fury19/05/2020 10:46:25
446 forum posts
88 photos

Jon, checking a couple of your "later articles" I assume they're all by Bernard Lundberg. I'm not aware his impressive articles were ever published as a collection.

The original construction series by Robin Dyer was easy to follow (must have been as I made one) but Bernard's research adds markedly to the authenticity of the model. For example ME vol 170 (3946) repeats Dyer's confession that he had no information on the front axle; Lundberg's article corrects that.

I'd recommend obtaining a copy of ME 170 (3944) as this contains an informative but very short article by Lundberg "Clayton Wagon General Notes". In the same issue, there's an article about building a Clayton with twin rear axles - though never produced by the works.

There are a few significant shortcomings in the original design. Main one being that the main drive gearing is too fast. My failing memory is that at least one remedy for this was published in ME, but it wasn't elegant or of course, prototypical.

Jon Cameron19/05/2020 11:36:14
368 forum posts
122 photos

Thank for that, a number of solutions have been made to make the clayton a much more usable engine, ive seen a screw on dog clutch, or a one way bearing installed on the sprocket from the engine, so as the boiler feed pump can operate and supply water to the boiler to keep the water level topped up when stationary. This been driven from the crank, which is permanently engaged for drive, as drawn is a big drawback in my mind.

I have also had two people recommend to increase the boiler outer shell by an inch in height and make a more prototypical front sheet to hide it, which increases the boiler capacity as well as meaning the front sheet is at the correct height as the prototype for the articulated version of the wagon.

Hopefully someone may come along with the articles I need, they may not all be incorporated into the final build but still a worthwhile reference.

Regards

Jon

Fowlers Fury19/05/2020 14:58:27
446 forum posts
88 photos
"Hopefully someone may come along with"
Are you hoping someone will scan them all for you or hoping you'll receive a list of references? If the former, there's copyright infringement to consider. If the latter, you might use one of the online indices. As you probably know, there's always back nos of ME on Fleabay.
The hand pump in the water tank will provide adequate boiler water when stationary.
IMHO what spoils many model Claytons is that builders have not put the compound curvature on the front apron. Fairly easy if you get a large lump of soft wood & shape it as per design. Cut in holes for clamps, anneal the brass sheet and bend to wood former. Then with piercing saw keep cutting 'darts' (Vs) and with more annealing, tap down to form compound curve. Soft solder into joints & after wet & dry it's ready for paint.
Phil P19/05/2020 15:23:19
851 forum posts
206 photos

Theres a blast from the past !!

Does anyone happen to know if Bernard Lundberg is still with us ?

He came to see me many years ago when I was building a Clayton to discuss the mods he had made to it, but I have lost any contact details I had.

I still have photocopies of all the magazine articles somewhere in the loft.

Phil

Edited By Phil P on 19/05/2020 15:24:22

Jon Cameron19/05/2020 15:36:10
368 forum posts
122 photos
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 19/05/2020 14:58:27:
"Hopefully someone may come along with"
Are you hoping someone will scan them all for you or hoping you'll receive a list of references? If the former, there's copyright infringement to consider. If the latter, you might use one of the online indices. As you probably know, there's always back nos of ME on Fleabay.

Hi,

Can I politely refer you to my original post! "wonder if anyone has a copy I could buy from them". No I am not asking anyone to break copyright especially not on the forum that is accompanying the magazine. I am wishing that anyone that has a copy of the above issues that they are willing to sell, or even pass on to please get in touch.

Yes using ebay is great but unless you are lucky, it's very doubtful that you will receive all issues together that are listed above.

This was meant to be a build thread and a plea for extra info, it wasn't planned to decend into a discussion on copyright.

Regards

Jon

Nigel Bennett19/05/2020 17:12:45
500 forum posts
31 photos

Hello Jon

It was I who described the Clayton 6-wheeler and I built it that way so there was more room on the back for me to sit on without making it an artic. If you’re going to run it, then you need the 2:1 reduction gearing to make it usable. If I was building another I would go for the taller boiler. When all’s said and done, it’s a small engine, and it has to be thrashed if you’re driving it on grass. You’re forever firing, injecting and steering as well, so you can’t leave it for ten minutes to have lunch! It would be a lot better in 3” or 4” scale...

I would check availability of rubber tyres for it at an early stage; I heard they were difficult to get hold of.

Good luck with the project; I had a lot of enjoyment building mine.

Jon Cameron19/05/2020 20:46:42
368 forum posts
122 photos

Hi Nigel,

I may come back to you with questions at some point in the future.

I do like the 6wheeler version and they look Nice made like that. I have only seen one though. I also like a low lower version that was advertised for sale in the last 6months, would suit a 2" traction engine lovely as a display setup, and room to sit and drive around when your mate Nick's off with the traction engine at a show lol.

DMB19/05/2020 22:23:19
1585 forum posts
1 photos

Hello Jon,

A now deceased Worthing club member who I was pally with, built a steam lorry, fairly certain it was a Clayton. Whe he rallied it at Guildford some years ago, other owners were astonished at its performance. He said the reason was that he considered that it lacked steam reserve, so asked Helen Verrall to build the boiler 1 1/2" taller to have better steam space.

HTH

John

Jon Cameron20/05/2020 08:30:43
368 forum posts
122 photos

Hi Thanks John,

It seems the general concensus on the boiler, is it does need to be bigger for ease of use.

These points are all been noted along with the need for a 2:1 reduction box in the drivetrain. I did come across a 2;1 reduction unit that had an in built dog clutch that could be operated from a lever in the cab. This is something I will have to incorporate, as I don't believe in static models myself, so will be made to be as usable as possible.

Regards

Jon

BasKo04/01/2021 18:52:04
13 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Jon,

could you give me some hints which of your named magazines are useful for building a Clayton? I‘m looking for as many information as possible.

Many thanks

Sebastian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate