Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Boiler making advise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
AdrianR29/03/2020 17:57:19
613 forum posts
39 photos

Hi,

I am going to make a myfordboy vertical boiler. It is 2.5" dia 5.5" long with a 22mm central flue. It has two bushes at the top and two in the side.

I have a Sievert Cyclone 3524 burner (3KW) and have CupAlloy 455 silver solder (low temp)

From what I have read I should do a two step braze. First the end caps and flue using a higher temp solder, then the bushes using a low temp solder.

My questions are;

Would a 3KW burner be hot enough to use a high temp solder?

Would it be possible to solder the whole boiler using low temp solder? i,e, do the bottom, then the top and its two bushings, and finally the side bushes.

Thanks

Adrian

Clive Brown 129/03/2020 18:29:49
1050 forum posts
56 photos

IMO you will struggle for sufficient heat with your Sievert nozzle. To succeed you'll need very good insulation around the job. I see no reason why you couldn't try with 455 for the entire job to give a better chance of sucess.

I think that I'd treat myself to a burner nozzle one or even two sizes larger.

Clive

Former Member29/03/2020 18:31:26
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Keith Hale29/03/2020 20:06:08
334 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Adrian,

A question I often ask, Why didn't you ask your supplier of equipment and silver solder?

They are not a company that simply takes your money and leave you to get on with it. You can draw on the 100+ years of collective experience to help.

A couple of years or so ago, they were demonstrating with the help of Western Steam, the building of a similar boiler at the Midlands exhibition.

Who knows. As a customer, their technical support is included in the price of the silver solder.

Regards

Keith

Former Member29/03/2020 20:16:22
1329 forum posts

Keith Hale29/03/2020 20:47:08
334 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Adrian,

And thanks to Bill.

With one eye on the Antiques Roadshow!

if you bought the torch kit from CuP, you already have a bigger burner generating 7kw of heat.

If you didn't, then you have a choice. Buy a bigger burner or improve your chances of success by insulating the joint better with an insulating blanket. Readily available from CuP.

No reason why you shouldn't be able to make all the joints with 455.

Regards

Keith

Declaration of interest - despite retiring 7 years ago, I'm still on their books!

Former Member29/03/2020 21:27:13
1329 forum posts

Brian H29/03/2020 22:24:32
2312 forum posts
112 photos

As anyone who has tried to dismantle a silver soldered joint will know, it takes a lot more heat than it did to solder it in the first place.

If you're careful with the sequence of assembly and the amount of heat used on joints already made, it is easily possible to make a small boiler using only one grade of silver solder such as one containing 55% silver.

CuP Alloys is an excellent place to start (usual denials)

Brian

AdrianR30/03/2020 08:03:25
613 forum posts
39 photos

Thanks for the advice.

Adrian

Former Member30/03/2020 08:05:07
1329 forum posts

KWIL30/03/2020 08:40:59
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Bill,

Brian was merely pointing out that once a joint has been made, the reflow temperature is higher due to alloying. In this way it is possible to make joints one after the other using the same silver solder type. Not only applies to small boilers.

K

Brian H30/03/2020 08:44:37
2312 forum posts
112 photos

Thanks Kwil.

Brian

Former Member30/03/2020 08:49:10
1329 forum posts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate