Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Metal Bandsaw - Chester H80 or Warco CY90

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lainchy18/06/2019 08:34:44
273 forum posts
103 photos

I'm looking at saws... Trying to kit out a new noobs workshop, and it's become very apparent that I'm going to need a saw, or get lots of exercise with the hacksaw!

I am looking at either the Chester or Warco metal cutting bandsaws as no one seems to do powered hacksaws now - that I can find anyway.

Anyone got the small Chester or Warco Bandsaws? How do you get on with them?

Many thanks

Ian

Trevorh18/06/2019 08:51:33
316 forum posts
89 photos

Morning Ian, I have the Warco CY 90 and not had any issues after I re aligned the main drive wheels for the saw band and adjusted the the blade guides to cut vertical

I have cut quite large dia bar both ally and BMS with no problems

Had the saw now for a good many years

cheers

Trevor

Plasma18/06/2019 09:10:06
443 forum posts
1 photos

Depends on proposed use I guess.

Many favour a bandsaw but I love my donkey hacksaw.

I have a six inch and a four inch just for good measure.

There are plenty od used ones out there with more than enough life in them.

Mick

John Hinkley18/06/2019 09:24:06
1545 forum posts
484 photos

What Trevor said. Don't expect it to cut true straight out of the box. Most, if not all, will reuire a little tweakery to cut square and vertical. I would also recommend fitting a bi-metallic blade. They are, in my opinion, superior to the factory-fitted one. Tuffsaws supplied mine and I've had no trouble over the last eight years of ownership.

John

Fowlers Fury18/06/2019 09:25:13
446 forum posts
88 photos

" no one seems to do powered hacksaws now - that I can find anyway. "
Perhaps not strictly true?

Like "Plasma", I favour a powered hacksaw.
Blackgates offer a machined kit but you will need a motor & a few other bits. I've had mine for years and since it takes standard hacksaw blades, it's quick & easy to change them over when cutting different materials. The capacity isn't huge but it'll cut through 1.5" bar stock if pressed.
hacksaw.jpg

not done it yet18/06/2019 09:40:08
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Ian,

Whether you actually need one or not may depend on how big the starting pieces might be and how many you need to cut. Other factors, such as physical ability, may also require consideration.

Smaller diameter (up to 40 mm) cuts were discussed in a fairly recent thread. Alternatives abound.

**LINK**

I would guess that most get on OK with either, but a considerable minority would have found it necessary to ‘tweak’ them or make repairs fairly early in the life of the machine.

The ratio of replies on a forum may not be too indicative of the real situation as many do not cut so much - and those with failures tend to be more vocal than the quietly satisfied group.

Alternatives should certainly be included in the original request, if at all green on the topic.

Frances IoM18/06/2019 09:51:00
1395 forum posts
30 photos
I have a H80 - works well enough - there are many small improvements online or in MEW re improved holding of the metal to allow smaller pieces to be cut etc - the supplied stand is pretty useless but can be improved - use bimetallic blades and spend some time setting it up then you will get very acceptable results up to its recommended limits 80mm pushable in one dimension to about 100mm.
Lainchy18/06/2019 09:56:02
273 forum posts
103 photos

Superb as usual guys. I guess I just missed the mentioned thread, so many thanks for that. Food for thought indeed!

larry phelan 118/06/2019 10:27:15
1346 forum posts
15 photos

I bought a saw from Chester many moons ago and don't recall having any real problems with it. I have cut everything from 6mm round up to 4" round,6"x3" RSJ and everything inbetween including angle ,tee and channel and whatever comes along. If you are cutting mitre cuts ,don't depend on the scale on the machine, since none of those scales are very accurate even on table saws. Better to use a protractor, this will give better results.

All in all, for the price of these machine, they give good results [with a good blade ] and I don't think you will be too disappointed with either make [chances are, they both come from the same maker anyway ]

Good luck with your choice.

Lainchy18/06/2019 10:48:43
273 forum posts
103 photos

Thanks Larry. Good point RE the mitre angles... had similar with a circular chop saw!

SillyOldDuffer18/06/2019 10:49:26
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Frances IoM on 18/06/2019 09:51:00:
I have a H80 - works well enough - there are many small improvements online or in MEW re improved holding of the metal to allow smaller pieces to be cut etc - the supplied stand is pretty useless but can be improved - use bimetallic blades and spend some time setting it up then you will get very acceptable results up to its recommended limits 80mm pushable in one dimension to about 100mm.

Exactly as Frances said except mine came from Warco.

Appearances are discouraging. Roughly made and put together, mine came fitted with a too-cheap blade that didn't last long. But it works! Bimetallic blades recommended by me too.

Dave

Alan Waddington 218/06/2019 11:15:07
537 forum posts
88 photos

Have had a few bandsaws over the years including a large industrial Startrite,

All of the hobby ones ive owned, Clarke, Axminster and one i cant remember, have been to put it politely, ‘Somewhat Frustrating and inconsistent’ in operation, with plenty of fettling to be done from new.

Recently bought a Femi, and can’t recommend highly enough, A quality piece of kit, just does what it should, straight out of the box, work perfectly every time, with no faff whatsoever.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate