Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Die diameter

BSP

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Hulett26/02/2019 15:12:25
131 forum posts
9 photos

I wish to die down a brass rod to 1/4" BSP. To what diameter do I need to turn the brass rod down to get a near perfect thread?.Thankyou.

JasonB26/02/2019 15:16:20
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

0.518"

mechman4827/02/2019 09:37:01
2947 forum posts
468 photos

HI Roger
Have you got a 'Zeus' book?. It has all the tapping & die sizes. OD, Core dia. etc, well worth having one by your lathe.

George.

Howard Lewis27/02/2019 16:43:15
7227 forum posts
21 photos

To anyone without a set of Zeus Charts.

INVALUABLE!

I still have and use the set (and the Unbrako Allen keys!) from when I was a first year Apprentice, in 1958. (Now grubby, but readable) I have other, later, versions, but the old one sees the most use in the shop. The others are reference, indoors, but do not necessarily contain some of the info from the earliest editions.

Yes, I use other books as well, Sparey, Ian Bradley, Tubal Cain, Workshop Practice Series, etc. They all have their uses as sources of information, on different subjects..

Howard

Roger Hulett01/03/2019 18:04:24
131 forum posts
9 photos

Perfect,Thankyou

ega02/03/2019 11:01:32
2805 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 27/02/2019 16:43:15:

... Zeus Charts ...
do not necessarily contain some of the info from the earliest editions.

My oldest edition is now 1974; so far as I can see from this and subsequent editions, over the years BA threads have been dropped and NC coding and drawing symbols added.

Congratulations on sticking to the 1958 version whose print was, I imagine, difficult to read in places.

not done it yet03/03/2019 20:41:18
7517 forum posts
20 photos

If JB did not read it off a hard copy chart of some kind he could simply have searched for ''BSP thread dimensions'' on the internet. First hit on ''goggle'' supplied the result reported. Anyone can do it - even me!

JasonB03/03/2019 20:47:32
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

That's what I usually do just Google BSP, Whitworth, BA etc followed by "thread data"

Though when I'm in the shed out comes the Zeuz

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate