Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Piston rings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Simpson 114/01/2019 11:56:35
206 forum posts
9 photos

Hi all, I have just about completed the cylinders for my 5" gauge BR Standard Class 2 to Don Young's plans.

The pistons are designed to have 1/4" square graphite packing as the piston seal / ring. Could an Viton O ring be used for the seal ?

Peter

not done it yet14/01/2019 12:18:24
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I’m not a model maker, but if the material is made for that appication. I see no reason for not using it. Might need a different sized groove...

duncan webster14/01/2019 12:26:34
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Are you using gunmetal cylinders or cast iron?

Peter Simpson 114/01/2019 12:32:13
206 forum posts
9 photos

The cylinders are cast iron.

duncan webster14/01/2019 13:52:04
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Never heard of anyone using o-rings in cast iron, but perhaps I'm just lacking knowledge. Slightest bit of rust would rip the ring. Why not make proper cast iron piston rings? Not terribly difficult, I've done it and I'm not one of the demi-gods of the machining world. Proprietary ones work but tend to be too thick and stiff.

norm norton14/01/2019 14:03:32
202 forum posts
10 photos

Peter

The o-ring will wear a flat face very quickly. It will work for several hours until it does.

Ideally you want to fit cast iron split rings and I appreciate these can be tricky to make. I have just made a set and If you want help then message me. If your bores are accurate to diameter then you can buy rings from someone like Reeves, but they are about £13 each.

An alternative is split PTFE rings riding on top of o-rings. But this is as tricky to make as cast iron rings IMHO.

If you pack with a PTFE/graphite square material it will work fine for a few years, but be prepared to replace it one day. Not the end of the world and the quickest solution.

Norm

Brian Sweeting14/01/2019 14:05:55
453 forum posts
1 photos

Why not use what is specified, worst price I've seen was £4 a metre.

not done it yet14/01/2019 15:10:27
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Here you go.

Bore to size, surface to size, part off using a toolpost grinder (fitted with a thin cutting disc), clean up or thickness on a flat abrasive suface, split, suspend on a suitable spreader, heat evenly until it falls off. Clean up ring ends and set ring gap to size. Job done.

Edited By not done it yet on 14/01/2019 15:11:04

Fowlers Fury14/01/2019 16:17:23
446 forum posts
88 photos

If you've already made your pistons and cut the grooves then go with graphited packing but search for comments about graphite yarn/packing as doubts seem to exist about what you get, from where, these days.
Be careful how tight you pack it into the grooves; too tight and the wall pressure will be far too high especially before eveything is up to temp.

IMHO it is well worthwhile reading Tubal Cain's section on piston rings in The Model Engineer's Handbook (summary of his series in M.E. 1994). If you decide to make your own CI rings then you will need to make a sizing sleeve on a machining fixture for final skimming otherwise it is highly unlikely your rings will be concentric with the bore (with apologies to NDIY).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate