Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Recommended plastic to clad a lean-to workshop

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
choochoo_baloo17/09/2018 00:37:27
282 forum posts
67 photos

I am trying to select a suitable cladding material for a lean-to workshop that extends from the brick wall of an existing garage.

The frame (inc. rafters) is all built from pressure treated carcassing. I initially considered "Cedral Click" cladding by Marley Eternit but it turned out to be too expensive and difficult to source.

For simplicity and cost saving, at the expense of aesthetics, I'm now going for a wall structure of: {rigid plastic cladding, air gap, polystyrene block, plywood inner surface}.

Please can others recommend a UV resistant plastic sheet suitable for this application? Help with any of the above will be gratefully received.

Edited By choochoo_baloo on 17/09/2018 00:37:39

Edited By choochoo_baloo on 17/09/2018 00:37:58

Edited By choochoo_baloo on 17/09/2018 00:39:21

pgk pgk17/09/2018 01:10:16
2661 forum posts
294 photos

My shed is upvc clad... the same guys that did our doubleglazing built it. Because of the weird way local builders here work/charge I haven't got a clue what it cost but the whole job wasn't silly money.. did build a conservatory at the same time.

pgk

JasonB17/09/2018 06:54:52
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

You can get uPVC weatherboarding that looks like the Marley one, I used some by Durasid recently or if you want cheaper just white uPVC will work out cheaper especially on the trim items which are just plastic rather than colour coated ali extrusions. I think the Durasid worked out about £50/m2 including all the trims etc.but it was a long thin area so should be less on a room height wall.

My worry with plastic sheet would be movement particularly if a dark colour exposed to sunlight but mostly that it cannot breath easily.

Edited By JasonB on 17/09/2018 06:57:51

Samsaranda17/09/2018 11:12:35
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Should be plenty of redundant cladding going cheap as it is being removed from many high rise blocks throughout the country!

Dave W

pgk pgk17/09/2018 12:49:17
2661 forum posts
294 photos

my upvc shed

cam00243.jpg

Clive Foster17/09/2018 13:22:41
3630 forum posts
128 photos

Don't overlook "ding resistance". Workshop, ground floor level, walls are much more vulnerable to being inadvertently hit that the first floor and above levels at which plastic cladding is normally used. I'd expect the lighter, less costly variants to be more easily damaged than the premium stuff.

Far as I'm aware there is no satisfactory repair if you do ding it. Briefly considered it as a maintenance free cladding when I built my workshop but the builder guy helping on the job categorically ruled it out as being too easily damaged. He had a point as I'v thumped my walls a time or three in the intervening 14 years. Obviously I don't know if this trikes were hard enough to damage plastic but ....

Clive.

Trevor Drabble17/09/2018 13:35:24
339 forum posts
7 photos

c_b . Given the properties of the various materials you will be using , what fire prevention measures will you be installing please ? Trevor .

Bazyle17/09/2018 13:45:35
6956 forum posts
229 photos
Posted by JasonB on 17/09/2018 06:54:52My worry with plastic sheet would be movement particularly if a dark colour exposed to sunlight but mostly that it cannot breath easily.Edited By JasonB on 17/09/2018 06:57:51

Quick look at install instructions for one cladding supplier indicates 2mm oversize holes to allow for expansion and 38mm gap behind, not stated but implied the gap is well ventilated so the cladding contributes less to the overall insulation.

Ron Laden17/09/2018 14:48:24
2320 forum posts
452 photos

I realise that the OP was reference plastic cladding but last year I lent a hand to a friend who built is own workshop and he clad the outside with PVC coated galvanised steel box sheeting. He argued that the steel cladding worked out half the price of the plastic cladding he had considered.

He started with a concrete base then built a 100 x 50 treated timber frame, he then filled all the frame work with 50mm polystyrene sheets and lined the inside with 12mm WBP ply. The outside was then covered with more of the 12mm ply so he had a ply -polystyrene - ply sandwhich. The outside walls were then clad with the PVC/Steel sheets (coloured dark grey) and I thought it looked really good, certainly workshop like. Having now had his first winter in the shop he said it was "snug as a bug" in there.

His workshop is free standing and I guess if you are attaching a shop to your house or garage you would have more pleasing lines and finishes with plastic, but I didnt think his shop looked out of place in his garden.

choochoo_baloo17/09/2018 15:00:20
282 forum posts
67 photos

Thanks all, useful advice as always on this site.

choochoo_baloo17/09/2018 15:01:03
282 forum posts
67 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 17/09/2018 14:48:24:

The outside walls were then clad with the PVC/Steel sheets (coloured dark grey) and I thought it looked really good, certainly workshop like. Having now had his first winter in the shop he said it was "snug as a bug" in there.

Can you provide details or even better a link to this PVC/steel material please Ron?

Ron Laden17/09/2018 15:26:28
2320 forum posts
452 photos
Posted by choochoo_baloo on 17/09/2018 15:01:03:
Posted by Ron Laden on 17/09/2018 14:48:24:

The outside walls were then clad with the PVC/Steel sheets (coloured dark grey) and I thought it looked really good, certainly workshop like. Having now had his first winter in the shop he said it was "snug as a bug" in there.

Can you provide details or even better a link to this PVC/steel material please Ron?

https://www.steelroofsheets.co.uk/categories/pvc-plastisol-roofing-sheets/

Link above, my mate bought his local but if you google PVC coated steel box sheet there are numerous suppliers of which the above is just one.

Hope it helps

Ron

Mike Poole17/09/2018 15:29:02
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Swish make some nice cladding and it resists yellowing if you wanted white.

Mike

Clive Foster17/09/2018 15:46:59
3630 forum posts
128 photos

#2 for coated steel sheet. What I used on my roof. Still excellent 14 years on. Should have used the bonded insulation variety tho' as the plain stuff can cause condensation in winter. Retrofitting insulation sheets was mega pain. Partly alleviated by reduction in heating bill despite having a proper attic floor with 6" of insulation beneath which was more than enough to ensure I had no in shop condensation worries.

Probably 20 - 25 years ago the PTB decided that the asbestos sheet (?) roofs at work should be replaced with plain steel sheets. Serious condensation troubles so all pulled off and replaced with bonded insulation variety.

Look around bit more and you should find an insulated variety intended for walls hung directly off framing. Which may be the easiest build.

Clive.

Neil Wyatt17/09/2018 16:43:27
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by pgk pgk on 17/09/2018 12:49:17:

my upvc shed

cam00243.jpg

Try all you like, but I'm afraid that tractor just isn't going to fit through the door

Neil

Neil Wyatt17/09/2018 16:45:56
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Trevor Drabble on 17/09/2018 13:35:24:

c_b . Given the properties of the various materials you will be using , what fire prevention measures will you be installing please ? Trevor .

uPVC is inherently fire resistant due to the chlorine content, certainly less flammable than a wooden shed.

Don't breathe the fumes if you do try to burn it though, it gives off hydrochloric acid fumes.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate