Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Student gearbox problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick_G18/07/2017 15:52:50
1808 forum posts
744 photos

Has anyone here actually stripped the gearbox of a Colchester student.?

There is an issue with it where one of the selector levers is stuck in position 1. - The owner says it was always stiff but gradually got stiffer until it is now jammed. It's an old machine that was used very little and had been left for considerable time in storage before he owned it.

Got the manual. But what I don't want to do is take the levers off, split the front of the gearbox (1st photo) and end up with a puddle of shafts, spacers, bushes and gears all over the floor. surprise

So has anyone stripped one.? And is this a common issue at all with the Student.

Lever stuck at selection 1

Nick

Edited By Nick_G on 18/07/2017 16:13:02

NJH18/07/2017 15:56:47
2314 forum posts
139 photos

No pictures Nick - just some outlines where they should be.

N

Nick_G18/07/2017 16:14:01
1808 forum posts
744 photos
Posted by NJH on 18/07/2017 15:56:47:

No pictures Nick - just some outlines where they should be.

N

Okies. - Can you see them now.?

Nick

NJH18/07/2017 16:29:40
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Hi Nick

That's fine now. I'm not able to help with your question I'm afraid - I did use one briefly! Hopefully someone in the know will respond now.

Norman

JasonB18/07/2017 18:28:28
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Quite possible that the levers should stay on the shafts then when you pull the front off all the links and forks come away with the front panel

Nick_G19/07/2017 09:31:24
1808 forum posts
744 photos

Cheers Jason,

I bet that John Stevenson bloke has had one to pieces. cheeky

Nick

JasonB19/07/2017 09:36:14
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Does not matter what he has had to pieces, it's if he got it back together without resorting to a welder that really mattersdevil

KWIL19/07/2017 10:53:09
3681 forum posts
70 photos

So it is Gear Bar 76714-0 and the gear it moves that is sticking. The Gear Selector shaft is ball mounted and the inboard end moves vertically between the various bars and slides horizontally to change the gear. eg 1 -> 2 etc. There appears to be one fork per bar, each fork slides the matching gear from left to right via central neutral point. The various "gear bars" are retained in position with the vertical plates but beware the right hand plate has balls and springs which act as detents to hold the selected gear in place. All that seems independent from the Gear Selector shaft and is fixed separately. The three levers [ABC], [RST], [VWXYZ] are retained to the casting shown in your second photo. All this is standard Colchester, my own M300 is very similar (except that the 1-8 gear selactor is a rotary input on the M300). If you take the front casting off, expect a lot of oil! Drain is on the left hand lower side.

If you think about how it would be built, each stage will be able to be set up so nothing should come away with the front as the shafts are clearly attached to the second casting.

OK for starters?

Nick_G19/07/2017 16:22:29
1808 forum posts
744 photos
Posted by KWIL on 19/07/2017 10:53:09:

OK for starters?

That's plenty for starters. Thank you. smiley

Nick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate