Speed controller Very slow!

Want to slow down a B&D Powerfile

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin King 213/08/2016 08:40:36
1129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi all,

I need to slow down a Powerfile by a lot to stop it burning the material being sanded. I have almost zero knowledge of electronics so cannot build anything. Is there an off the shelf unit that would do with damaging the file? The slowest speed on the unit is waaaay to fast.

Regards, Martin

Roger Provins 213/08/2016 08:49:46
344 forum posts

Search eBay and you'll find dozens. No idea which is best ... here is just one but caveat emptor.

**LINK**

Edited By Roger Provins 2 on 13/08/2016 08:50:53

Martin King 213/08/2016 08:52:24
1129 forum posts
1 photos

Roger, thanks for that. As I am so out of my depth with electronics my concern is how safe these things are in use for the file and the user. The file needs to go really slowly.

Martin

Tim Stevens13/08/2016 09:26:48
1779 forum posts
1 photos

Have you considered the use of an old-fashioned manual file? I find it easier to go slowly after the first five minutes ...

Cheers, Tim

Les Jones 113/08/2016 09:38:10
2292 forum posts
159 photos

Hi Martin,
If the speed control on the powerfile is an electrical control (As opposed to a multi speed gearbox) then it may not work with an external speed control. An internal speed control will probably be a phase angle type speed control which is the same as the ones in Roger's link. A light dimmer switch uses the same method and could be used provided it has a suitable power rating for your powerfile. It could be that an internal electrical speed control is designed so it cannot go too slow for the fan to cool the motor properly. I am basing these comments on the assumption that it uses a series wound (Universal) type motor as you have given no details.

Nick Wheeler13/08/2016 10:58:13
1227 forum posts
101 photos

Doesn't a Powerfile already have a speed controller?

I'm sure my some-made-up-brand copy does. It's not something I use very much, mainly for weld prep and finishing in tight spaces like door-shuts.

Bazyle13/08/2016 14:08:03
6956 forum posts
229 photos

As said above you can't put a second speed control on the thing that already has one. They may have set the control to a not so slow minimum to ensure it still gets some airflow.

Martin King 214/08/2016 09:10:28
1129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies,

Yes it does already have a speed control but the slowest is still way to fast and causes burning.

As I thought the motor will be going too slow to be cooled.

Hand sanding is obviously an option but difficult access to the corners etc which the file reaches nicely.

Seems like my idea is a non starter! Never mind!

Regards,

Martin

Bazyle14/08/2016 11:17:57
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Perhaps time for one of those vibrating saw thingies with a custom sanding pad. Not sure if they don't also go like the clappers though.

Michael Gilligan14/08/2016 11:36:35
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Martin,

This is probably not appropriate, given your self-professed lack of knowledge; but someone's got to mention it:

It should be possible ['though maybe not easy] to bypass the existing speed control, and then use an external controller.

Give us the exact model number, and maybe someone can find an exploded view.

MichaelG.

Robbo16/08/2016 09:32:56
1504 forum posts
142 photos

Martin,

Get yourself an oscillating sander. The Fein Multimaster is the leader and very expensive, but these days cheap variants are available (from Aldi, Screwfix etc)

Variable speed and with the correct sanding head can get into tight corners.

Ian S C16/08/2016 11:27:54
7468 forum posts
230 photos

I just reassembled the speed controller I built for Mums electric spinning wheel today. The max speed with the controller in place is just a bit over 50%, and I had the bottom speed set to about 25%. It was used on a sewing machine motor, and worked very well. Dad had a similar speed controller on his Black & Decker, and he used that with a B&D attachment wood lathe, end result, burnt out armature. The problem I see with electronic speed controllers is that as the speed reduces the flow of cooling air reduces, but the heat increases, it all sounds a bit daft, but this is the reason I have a strong dislike of this type of machine control (variable speed lathe). I imagine the power file is really designed for wood work.

Ian S C

Howard Lewis18/08/2016 17:55:20
7227 forum posts
21 photos

In the past, I have used a Variac to slow a cheap jigsaw, but with the knowledge that reduced speed = reduced power and seriously reduced cooling.

Speed reduction by voltage control is likely to increase current draw, more than expected, since at lower speeds, the motor's back emf will be reduced, resulting in a greater voltage drop across the motor.

The Power vs Speed relationship for a fan is non linear. Being similar to a marine propellor, it is probably to the power 2.8, so halving the speed probably reduces the flow of cooling air by a factor of between 7 and 8.

So only short periods of use, under light load, are feasible, if damage is to be avoided.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate