Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

ME 4538 Auckland Model & Experimental Engineers

HM48 Mill Improvements

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Johnson 727/07/2016 11:05:51
127 forum posts
19 photos

Geoff Theasby reported on the Auckland Model & Experimental Engineers. Of interest to me, because I have one, and I loathe hitting the draw bar to release whatever is in the quill, can Geoff or Graham Quayle or someone else expand on the topic "Simple Screw Pusher to Release the Drawbar" as I would be pleased to stop my brutality.

Regards,

Alan.

John Olsen29/07/2016 03:13:41
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

I don't think Graeme uses this forum, but I have copied your question to him so hopefully we may get something back soon

John

oldvelo29/07/2016 06:18:14
297 forum posts
56 photos

Hi

There are photos in my albums of a draw bar release for an X2 mill that may be of some use.

Eric

Neil Wyatt29/07/2016 08:35:06
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Here's my simple solution, a collar on a draw bar (with a spanner square on the end) and an end cap with a left hand thread. I had to thin the upper locking nut as well. "Works every time".

John Olsen09/08/2016 14:48:56
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

Here is a response from Graeme:

Hi John,
I am not into this forum but you may wish to respond.
The pusher referred to is as shown in the attached photos. To use it one backs off the draw bar a couple of turns, attach the pusher to the top of the splined spindle and screw down the bolt. The bolt needs to be a large diameter fine thread one. The bolt I used was a 7/16" UNF but in reality it would be better with a finer thread. The splined spindle was taken out of the mill/drill and grooved as shown, that's the only modification to the machine. One failing of users of these morse taper mill/drills is they tighten the draw bar as though it needs to be absolutely as tight as possible. It only needs to be just a little more than finger tight so that the chuck or what ever does not spin in the taper.
Cheers,
Graeme.
10 draw bar pusher gedc3411.jpg
11 draw bar pusher in place gedc3432.jpg
Alan Johnson 722/08/2016 15:53:14
127 forum posts
19 photos

Thank you to all who responded.

I am now enlightened!

John - thank you for bothering to contact Graeme for me. Please pass my thanks to him for going to the bother of photographing his "solution" to this violent activity!

Perhaps M.E.W. will publish his solution? It may need expanding with notes on removing the quill. These mills are very common in Australia.

Thanks again to everyone,

Alan.

Neil Wyatt22/08/2016 21:03:23
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by Alan Johnson 7 on 22/08/2016 15:53:14:

Perhaps M.E.W. will publish his solution? It may need expanding with notes on removing the quill. These mills are very common in Australia.

If anyone wants to put Graeme in contact with me, I'd be happy to look at having an article in MEW

Neil

John Olsen22/08/2016 22:38:48
1294 forum posts
108 photos
1 articles

I'll pass this on the Graeme, although I know he is busy at the moment putting together the next issue of our local steam engine society magazine.

Personally I think I could come up with a nice way to make the required groove without the need to remove the quill from the machine. Much the same as the way I trued up the flywheel for my steam launch engine while running the engine on compressed air. Well, I didn't have a lathe big enough for that job!

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate