Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Gary Wooding and his Chester 12 x 36 Lathe

Adding tee slots to lathe top slide

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
William Pascoe05/12/2015 04:12:35
5 forum posts

I note in Gary's article he cut tee slots in the top slide of his lathe. I have been considering this modification to my lathe but I'm concerned that it will weaken the cross side. Would Gary be able to share a rough sketch of the end view of his cross slide so I can get an idea of what others consider adequate. Any other comments would be welcome.

Cheers

Bill Pascoe

Australia

John Hinkley05/12/2015 08:05:06
1545 forum posts
484 photos

I have recently carried out a similar mod to my Asian lathe. There was a thread about it that I started a long while ago. Initially I was going to modify a Myford ML7 cross slide but eventually just milled slots in the original one. The story is told in one of my albums. I compared Mr. Myford's cross slide with my unslotted one and determined that there was very little difference, size-wise, so if the slots didn't weaken the Myford one, that would be good enough for me. I don't have the dimensions to hand, but if you're interested, I'll get them later.

John

Bazyle05/12/2015 09:37:12
6956 forum posts
229 photos

An alternative is threaded holes. If you put one in each side in the thick bit it would probably cover most requirements. Then if desperate for a fixing in the middle you could make a bridge piece.

Vic05/12/2015 10:02:53
3453 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 05/12/2015 09:37:12:

An alternative is threaded holes. If you put one in each side in the thick bit it would probably cover most requirements. Then if desperate for a fixing in the middle you could make a bridge piece.

That's what I did for my ball turning jig. I keep socket set screws in the holes when not in use to keep the swarf out.

Gordon W05/12/2015 10:08:13
2011 forum posts

I will second tapped holes-but don't do what I did just drilled and tapped, I was in a hurry. Years later it is obvious that I should have put them on some sort of standard pattern, instead of measuring every time.

Gary Wooding05/12/2015 11:16:51
1074 forum posts
290 photos

I did the mod some years ago and have lost the original drawings, but have re-constructed the attached by direct measurements, all shown in mm. See my album called Stuff. The actual slots are approx 160mm long.

cross slide mod.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 05/12/2015 11:19:34

jim'05/12/2015 11:59:00
72 forum posts
6 photos

I also drilled and tapped the cross slide. 4 holes on the top and three on the side, (I made an "L" shape plate).

I figured that if I had a crash, it would be better to damage a steel plate than break a cast iron cross slide!

It also means that the load is spread over a far greater area

William Pascoe05/12/2015 12:49:25
5 forum posts

Thanks every one and especially to Gary for the drawing. I'll have a measure up tomorrow and post my findings.

Cheers

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate