Suds pump

pump

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danni Burns22/09/2023 15:51:12
69 forum posts
42 photos

Hi all

can anyone help me find the Mike Cox article in MEW 181 Oct 2011 (referenced above) for a suds system- he used a windscreen washer pump

cheers

John Purdy22/09/2023 17:45:51
431 forum posts
252 photos

Danni

I've sent you a PM.

John

DMB22/09/2023 21:05:29
1585 forum posts
1 photos

I dont have a pumped coolant system on either mill or the lathe, but would like to draw attention to an idea which I once read about, not tried it yet. A large receiver on the floor, draining from the drip tray. Another large tank placed high up in the workshop, on its side, feeding the flow control tap on the lathe cross slide, or mill table. When upper tank runs dry, swap the 2 tanks over. No pumps at all! My suggestion is to drain into a smaller tank first to act as a weir. It would work with a pipe running out of the top of the small tank which would drain down into the larger bottom tank. Exactly same as automatic flushing cisterns in urinal toilets. All the metal swarf would be deposited in the small upper tank, awaiting a muck out.

John

Nigel Graham 222/09/2023 23:02:48
3293 forum posts
112 photos

I believe suds tanks quite commonly have a weir to trap the chips.

Though a full-loss system I did once use something like DMB's suggestion, made from a 1-gallon oil-can, simple screw-down valve and plastic tube, above my EW lathe. The problem I can see with swapping tanks about without a transfer pump is the sheer weight you need lift to some height!

I'd be a bit wary of using a windscreen-washer pump, because although it would deliver a suitable flow for a small machine-tool, some types use an elastic-vane impeller made from natural or synthetic rubber that might not last long in cutting-fluid with traces of lubricating-oil and tiny particles of metal.

For a larger machine, I suppose one could use a central-heating or washing-machine pump.

MadMike22/09/2023 23:18:04
265 forum posts
4 photos

I use a tank with a weir which isolates any swarf that gets washed down with the coolant. For a pump I simply use a small submersible pond/fountain pump. Very low cost and very reliable. Look for one that will lift your coolant around 4 or 5 feet if the tank is on the floor. I have mine below the tray on the lathe stand and a 4 feet lift is more than enough.

Danni Burns23/09/2023 02:43:32
69 forum posts
42 photos

I found this on ebay. Can anyone advise me if it would be a good choice for lathe coolant?

Its £19.50 and Says:

Specifications

Voltage: 12v
Power: 100W
Flow: 1-4L/min
No-loading Current: 2.5A
Loading Current: 5A
Work cycle: 30min
Theory: Gear pump
Pump Diameter: Approx. 16x6.2cm
Inlet tube (approx.): 0.8x100cm (D x L)
Outlet tube (approx.): 1x100cm (D x L)

The actual ebay title is below (if anyone wants to find it themself:

12V Electric Car Oil Extractor Pump For Transfer Fluid Engine Vacuum w/Hose 100W

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate