Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Wrapping a swept profile around a cylinder in Alibre Atom

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JasonB26/09/2023 16:35:21
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I've been able to get rid of that now by sketching the helical cut on a different plane

Ady126/09/2023 16:59:43
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Doing it in Alibre atom makes the smoke trickle from your ears

I would deffo buy Design pro

cylinder channel.jpg

John Hinkley26/09/2023 20:52:41
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Well, I've only gone and done it! Or rather, Jason showed me how and I implemented his suggestions.

selector drum.jpg

I can use this part three times and connect them together with suitably sized shafts to make the selector barrel. I merely need to calculate the amount to rotate each consecutive drum to time the gear changes correctly. But not tonight! That's a job for another day.

Thanks to Jason, David, Ady.

John

Neil Wyatt26/09/2023 21:44:17
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by John Hinkley on 26/09/2023 10:59:30:

I am progressing albeit slowly with my design for a 5 - speed sequential gearbox and have got to the stage of trying to produce models for the gear selector drums, Now, here's my problem. I have sketched out the desired features for the selector forks to follow in 2D, by drawing a profile and using the sweep function. I cannot find a way to wrap the path around a cylinder so that the profile follows the desired pattern. Any ideas?

I've Googled and looked at the Atom forum but as soon as you type in "wrap" all it seems to come up with is to do with text.

I should add the I'm producing the resultant parts on my 3D printer which I'm slowly getting to grips with.

Here's what the design looks like so far :

gear clusters

John

You need to create an axis along the centre of the cylinder (or centre the cylinder on an existing axis) and revolve your shape around the axis.

Neil

Neil Wyatt26/09/2023 21:46:28
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Oops... should have read on...

Neil

Ady126/09/2023 22:00:20
6137 forum posts
893 photos
Posted by John Hinkley on 26/09/2023 20:52:41:

Well, I've only gone and done it! Or rather, Jason showed me how and I implemented his suggestions.

selector drum.jpg

Well done you. That was a tough one.

Swarf Maker27/09/2023 00:02:42
132 forum posts
7 photos

In answer to the question raised by John Hinkley, F360 can also wrap and extrude complex profiles as a single action, as shown by this gearbox camshaft.

cam shaft construction v18.jpg

Ady127/09/2023 04:15:30
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Found an easier fast dirty way of doing it because it was really bugging me, this covers 50% of the cylinder

Use the sweep function with a plane on the top surface and cut it DEEP so your full cut depth is achieved at the edges

cut cylinder1.jpg

Then fill it back up inside to your required depth with an extruded cylinder boss and voilla! a perfect depth cut along the entire length

cut cylinder2.jpg

The geometrics of the cut aren't perfect except along the centreline but its a handy workaround

Edited By Ady1 on 27/09/2023 04:34:57

JasonB27/09/2023 06:57:59
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Won't really work ADY as the slots need to be radial otherwise what runs in them will just jam.

Ady127/09/2023 10:22:49
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I wouldn't use it for Concorde turbine blades but could be used for writing lettering or any less critical apps

The CAD user would need to decide

John Hinkley29/09/2023 15:10:30
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Just to round this off and put it to bed, this is what the gearing/selector mechanisms looks like inside the case. Still missing are the gear selector forks - still to be drawn, but now that I've got the relative positions laid out, I can start on that.

gear clusters

The gear selector tracks were reasonably easy to set as I'd initially drawn them in 2D and measured the overall length. I then converted that from circumference to a diameter and rounded it up to the nearest convenient size. In this case it was 25mmØ.

Thanks, once again to all who contributed suggestions and especially to Jason for setting me off on a feasible solution.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate