Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hit & Miss Engine - Help Needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Blue Heeler28/07/2023 00:38:36
342 forum posts
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/07/2023 07:06:57:

With apologies if you have already done so … could you please post a clear photo of the text on that yellow box-of-tricks.

… or a link to the supplier

Thanks

MichaelG.

Edited By JasonB on 27/07/2023 07:11:41

Hi Michael, just took these two photos -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198834535@N04/53075970501/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198834535@N04/53076472928/in/dateposted-public/

Edited By Blue Heeler on 28/07/2023 00:39:50

Blue Heeler28/07/2023 00:41:16
342 forum posts
Posted by JasonB on 27/07/2023 08:45:57:

Here is one of my S/S ignitions. You can see that the red signal wire from the CDI stops at the futaba socket and I just have the two outer black & white wires from there that I connect to the contacts on the engine. Same Futaba socket will accept a Hall sensor with it's three wires.

20230727_083228[1].jpg

Thanks Jason for taking that photos and also the many replies, truly appreciated.

Blue Heeler28/07/2023 00:41:52
342 forum posts
Posted by Trevor Johnson 1 on 27/07/2023 08:49:07:

CDI systems work completely differently to the conventional points/condensor systems. Different wiring connections and colour schemes are used by different manufacturers, suggest as it is a new model/machine you contact the supplier/manufacturer for further help /advice.

Always watch your interesting channel and hope you can get this issue resolved.

Edited By Trevor Johnson 1 on 27/07/2023 08:49:51

Thanks Trevor, very much appreciated

Jim

Blue Heeler28/07/2023 00:43:14
342 forum posts

Thanks one and all for the replies. Sorry for the tardy replies, just in case you don't know I'm in Australia so the time zones play havoc.

Blue Heeler28/07/2023 01:50:09
342 forum posts

Have Spark now !!!
Thanks again one and all, now have a really good spark using 4 x 1.5v AA batteries giving me 6v in total.
I can't get the engine to fire and start, any suggestions would be appreciated to get it firing.
I'm not 100% how to set the timing on these engines.
It has spark now, has fuel so what should I be looking for?

Michael Gilligan28/07/2023 03:47:19
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Blue Heeler on 28/07/2023 00:38:36:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/07/2023 07:06:57:

Thanks for the photos yes

The basic spec is [usefully] already translated

… but now we know that it’s a

Dongsheng pulse igniter

and can start searching for more info.

MichaelG

JasonB28/07/2023 06:54:44
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Was it purely the voltage increase that did it? Or a battery holder/wiring issue.

Time it to fire at or just before TDC. Cam is probably part of the larger gear so any timing adjustment will be by rotating small gear on the crankshaft if it just has a grub screw to hold it. If keyed to the shaft then you need to slip a gear out of mesh and remesh in the required position.

Too much fuel is often a problem, you only want to crack the needle open a little

Blue Heeler28/07/2023 07:42:43
342 forum posts

Thanks @JasonB Jason really appreciate all the posts trying to help me mate.

I've had my wife in the shed now multiple times to test having the spark plug resting next to the spark plug hole with the 3 x 1.5v AA batteries and there's no, zilch, nada, nothing. As soon as I switch over to the 4 x 1.5vAA battery pack instantly there's a really good spark across the gap which has me utterly baffled as I've watched so many YT vids of other owners running their same engines with the 3 battery pack as supplied with the engine (like what I received) but when I emailed the company they said the engine needs a minimum of 6v to fire.

Next hurdle is the timing.

I'm starting to doubt myself now, so to double check this is TDC isn't it !

**LINK**

Am I incorrect that I adjust the firing (timing?) by adjusting this brass piece that slides on that rail that pushes down on the switch to make contact?

**LINK**

Once again....appreciate the posts.

Michael Gilligan28/07/2023 09:12:55
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

As you have already ‘emailed the company’ … I guess it was unnecessary to translate this:

.img_8692.jpeg

but I’ve posted it here in case anyone feels like trying an ‘image search’

… Google didn’t get far with: Dongsheng pulse igniter

MichaelG.

JasonB28/07/2023 11:02:28
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Valve timing adjusted as I said by the gears, I see you have a grub screw on the crankshaft gear so easy enough to alter if needed. Yes that is TDC

Ignition timing as you say by moving the brass arm that actuates the contacts.

noel shelley28/07/2023 11:48:08
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Without correct valve and spark events the engine will not run. Remove the spark plug and put a wood or plastic rod down the hole so you can find the piston position. There are 2 TDCs in a 4 stroke cycle engine. Watch the valves. When the inlet and exhaust are both closed and the piston at the top of the stroke this is the compression stroke and about 1/8" before this TDC is when the spark happens. Putting your finger over the spark plug hole you will feel the compression - no compression and it will not run. The valve timing ! As the piston rises from BDC the exhaust valve must be open, closing as the piston reaches TDC, at the same time the inlet valve must open to admit the air/fuel mixture. As the piston approaches BDC the inlet valve will close, followed by compression again. Make sure you have a small clearance on the valves may be 5 thou or 0.1mm

I do not know this engine so the above is basic principles but should put you in the ball park. Good luck. Noel.

Howard Lewis28/07/2023 18:59:33
7227 forum posts
21 photos

As Noel says, the valve timings will be very approximately

Inlet opens about 5 degrees btdc, closes about 5 degres abdc (Allows for inertia of the gas column )

Exhaust opens about tdc or maybe upto 5 degrees btdc, closes about 5 degrees abdc (as above - gas inertia)

Overlap tends to be more important in high speed, high performance engines.

Ignition should be just a few degrees btdc, (Less for a slow revving engine ) to allow time for the ignition process to get under way. Exact timing will depend upon mixture strength and engine speed. Weak mixtures burn more slowly.

Suggest that you set the valve events first, and then adjust ignition timing to optimise performance.

Do not over advance, this produces excessive cylinder pressures, and can adversely affect perfornace and fuel consumption; not to mention over stressing bearings, con rods etc.

HTH

Howard

JasonB28/07/2023 19:48:58
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

These engines have an atmospheric inlet so you can't do much to alter the timing on that, just the exhaust. Inlet will typically open after TDC as it needs the vacuum created in the combustion chamber to open the valve against it's light spring.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate