Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Alibre - A First Attempt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
lee webster25/04/2023 16:12:20
383 forum posts
71 photos

Thanks David, I think I could live with that requirement. I wouldn't use my cad computer for everyday internet or email activity, only cad work such as Alibre Atom.

I will be a bit of a sad day when I give up DesignSpark, it has served me very well. But its import and export options are very limited, as is its text.

Nigel, I too have a two button mouse, it's on my Atari ST which is probably 40 years old. I bought it at a car boot sale when I moved to Cornwall 23 years ago. I haven't plugged it in yet.

If you bought a new computer last year it should have come with a mouse.

JasonB25/04/2023 17:10:53
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

This is what I'm currently using on the mouse front - quite small which suits my hands , I don't use any keyboard shortcuts

Edited By JasonB on 25/04/2023 17:11:20

lee webster25/04/2023 18:20:37
383 forum posts
71 photos

That's the same mouse I have Jason. I bought mine with a wireless keyboard deal from Tesco.

John Hinkley25/04/2023 19:45:58
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Nigel,

When you get your new mouse, it will most likely have the third button incorporated with the scroll wheel. There is a configuration option in the system option page which allows alternative presets to be selected for mouse clicks etc. There is also the custom selection available, too, should you want to tailor it to your specific needs. Me, I just use the "Alibre Classic".

mouse options.jpg

Good to see you're persevering with, and apparently making progress with, AA3D.

John

blowlamp25/04/2023 19:51:38
1885 forum posts
111 photos

We need to start setting some homework for you, Nigel.

Martin.

Nigel Graham 225/04/2023 21:44:13
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Homework? Eek!

Lee - I found the mouse that came with the computer, but it's an odd thing with just a wheel and no obvious buttons. Whatever it's meant to do, it didn't work with Alibre.

John - Thank you for that. I had in fact found that function but is turned off and I am advised this may be due to the edition of Alibre.

Jason, I assume there was a photo there but this is what I saw once it had found its way to my PC:

Quote:

" la-1004577655320%7ccrid:587868959751%7cnw:..... [lots more computerese] ....Cw2AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds"

End of quote.

White to move and mate in two....

Had you lifted it from a mail-order catalogue so held a link to an order system? It worried my computer enough to put in Spam, and I've giben only a partial quote for safety.

I was planning to go mouse-hunting tomorrow but I've some metal on order and don't know yet when to expect it, so the digital rodent might need wait.

lee webster25/04/2023 21:54:50
383 forum posts
71 photos

Hi Nigel,

Most modern mices(!) don't have "buttons" as such, each side of the main body, at the end by the wheel, is a button. The mouse on each of my three computers have no visible buttons. The only mouse with visible buttons is my Atari ST mouse. Try pressing the body of the mouse each side of the wheel, it should click. I believe that Windows has a built in method of testing the mouse button click, and the wheel. Look in control panel.

Having working buttons should speed up drawing.

David Jupp25/04/2023 22:08:06
978 forum posts
26 photos

Nigel - if the mouse has USB connection it should just work. If it has a PS/2 connector (small round multi-pin thing) then it MUST be plugged in before the computer is switched on, otherwise it won't be recognised by the computer.

The mouse interaction options that John highlighted should work in Atom3D - though you probably don't need to change any settings. It's the keyboard shortcuts editor that isn't available in Atom3D.

blowlamp25/04/2023 23:50:30
1885 forum posts
111 photos

Making a chamfered nut (no threads!), using the Boolean Intersect tool. You can't use the Chamfer tool directly to get the right shape.

Martin.

JasonB26/04/2023 07:01:01
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Nigel it was a link to the mouse at Argos which obviously opened OK for Lee. Search for Logi M220 Mouse. Try this link to Currys but it is only £14 at Argos

As Lee says most mice you just apply pressure to the area either side of the wheel rather than an obvious button.

It would probably be better to set Nigel any Homework in Alibre rather than confuse him more with other programs that may have features or ways of working that Atom does not. Boolean is not included with Atom3D only Pro & Expert

Edited By JasonB on 26/04/2023 08:40:10

Michael Gilligan26/04/2023 07:06:04
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 25/04/2023 21:44:13:

Jason, I assume there was a photo there but this is what I saw once it had found its way to my PC:

Quote:

" la-1004577655320%7ccrid:587868959751%7cnw:..... [lots more computerese] ....Cw2AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds"

End of quote.

Don’t worry, Nigel

Here is a cleaned-up version of Jason’s link: **LINK**

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8240374

… all the other #### is just tracking how he arrived at that page

MichaelG.

JasonB26/04/2023 07:43:10
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Well if modelling a nut is Nigel's homework then this is how I would do it in Alibre, no need for booleans, just a simple "Revoled cut" that can be mirrored if you want double chamfered nuts but I expect his steam wagon needs single chamfer.W orth watching both videos Nigel to see how simple it is with Alibre.

Although I seldom model an engine with the fixings all in the assembly it can be useful to include them for things like renderings so once you have drawn one nut you can simply edit it and then "save as" a different size. Then add short studs and again save as nut & stud etc. If you save all these in a file called "fixings" you can easily find and insert them when needed rather than hunt around or go looking for missing nuts

fixings.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 26/04/2023 07:49:53

Ches Green UK26/04/2023 09:18:50
181 forum posts
7 photos

All these useful homeworks, instructions etc are making it very tempting for me to take the plunge into Alibre Atom 3D, especially as there is a group of experienced users here giving their time.

But....plenty other stuff on my plate at the moment....decisions. Anyway, thanks for starting the thread Nigel.

Ches.

blowlamp26/04/2023 20:24:31
1885 forum posts
111 photos

Great video, Jason - you have an excellent grasp of Nigel's Nuts.

MoI doesn't have a dedicated Revolved Cut tool, but it gets the same results from the tools it has.

You say Atom doesn't have Boolean function, so how does it combine or subtract solids from one another?

I'll post my videos in a separate thread, so as not to hijack this one.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 26/04/2023 20:25:37

Nigel Graham 226/04/2023 23:03:24
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Jason -

I don't design and make nuts. I buy 'em! My model-engineering is nowhere near the Ron Jarvis / Cherry Hill / Doug Hewson level! Besides my wagon is accumulating a mixture of BSW, BSF, BA and ISO-M fastenings.

'Revolved Cut'? Don't talk to me about 'Revolved Cuts'......

I started on that scribing-block (the ex-MEW series one) having loaded the tutorial using it.

First thing, I made two simple "New Part" blanks: one called "New Part - Inch", the other "~ Metric".

Starting from the latter, I soon made the 'Scribing-block Base' and used [Save As] with that name to keep it safe.

'

The next part is the column, whose tapered end is to be generated by a Revolved Cut.

It was a complete failure. I created the basic rod easily enough, from my little template, but then it all went to rats. Planes, view-angles, making that Project tool pick up the edge it wants, making that construction triangle.... Nothing worked.

At one point I closed the file without saving it, and started again, but it still all found those rodents.

My final attempt had me looking down at a bar standing at a curious angle, with the triangle draped randomly across it at even dafter compound angle, all totally at odds with what's meant to happen. On a previous attempt it had been floating in space a long way from the column.

I gave up, and closed the lot without saving the column drawing.

I'd started well, had grasped some of Alibre's simpler principles and tools fairly quickly, but......

Ches -

Thank you for the compliment - I hope you have better luck with 3D CAD than I do!

Ady126/04/2023 23:17:04
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Until you set up your master working interfaces for metric and Imperial and get a decent mouse you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle

Tapered stuff is easier if you draw 2 circles, one at at each end and use the loft command, but you can use revolve-cut

Use the box viewer in the top right corner to manipulate your 3D view about

Edited By Ady1 on 26/04/2023 23:38:41

Nigel Graham 227/04/2023 00:55:20
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Thank you. I'd set the basic drawing format correctly. That's not a problem. Even if I'd not I think it would have defaulted to millimetres, so the tutorial would still work.

I admit the pointer I have is not good for rotating anything, even with the aid of all those little boxes and that co-ordinates menu. I was not trying to rotate the image by the cursor though.

I've not advanced to finding how to draw a circle round a cylinder a set distance from its end. Everything I've seen so far has been working on surfaces and 'nodes'.

However I was trying to follow a set exercise designed to show you a definite set of methods, and I don't want to risk wandering off along paths I don't know, even deeper into the clag.

Yes you can use "revolve cut". That was the problem! Well, you can. I can't. It is exactly what the document showed, step-by-step, but I could not make it work at all!

Ady127/04/2023 02:23:48
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Try practicing with a simple example, we're only taking a chunk out of the top

Draw a simple cylinder slap bang in the middle 40mm

cylinder1.jpg

exit 2d and extrude boss to 40mm

cylinder2.jpg

Highlight the plane that cuts it in half (goes blue), right click and click "activate 2d sketch"

cylinder3.jpg

This is the view down the middle

Draw any old triangle you like

cylinder4.jpg

Come out of 2d sketch and click revolve cut

The box has your triangle (sketch2) and is asking for the axis that rotates the sketch via the blue highlighted box

cylinder5.jpg

Click on the axis going through the cylinder from left to right and it shows you the realtime cut

cylinder6.jpg

click ok and you will be returned to the 3d view

cylinder7.jpg

Edited By Ady1 on 27/04/2023 02:53:51

David Jupp27/04/2023 08:57:50
978 forum posts
26 photos

The exercise was at least in part written to get the reader to use most of the tools offered by Atom3D. That means that some of the features may not have been produced by the most obvious method, and certainly not by the only method.

For almost all end targets, there is more than one possible route to achieve it.

If you can't get a revolve cut to work for you in this case, consider using a 3D Chamfer instead - then go back to revolve cuts on another occasion. It doesn't help anyone if you end up getting frustrated. Taking a break from the screen can often be beneficial.

Describing these whings unambiguously in text (even with accompanying pictures) isn't simple. Having someone show you this live, so you can stop, rewind, ask for clarification, is much better. Until a certain degree of familiarity with the toolset is built up, description that seems 'obvious' to many, may not make much sense to a new user.

JasonB27/04/2023 08:58:06
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles
Posted by blowlamp on 26/04/2023 20:24:31:

Jason - You say Atom doesn't have Boolean function, so how does it combine or subtract solids from one another?

It probably does use a Boolean in the background, DavidJ can confirm but for most things there are two sets of tools. The Boss (add material) tools which form solids from the initial 2D sketch and a similar set of Cut (remove material) tools that do the negative by removing the extruded profile.

tools.jpg

If I had wanted I could have first done a solid hexagon and then sketched a 2D circle on the mid plane or one end and then cut that circle out by extruding the negative right through the part. Had it been a bolt then I would have used the boss to extrude a solid cylinder to form the shank. In part modelling all these boss and cut operations become one part with no need to tell the machine to join them all together.

The hole through the hex stock could be done as a Boolean subtract but the simple cut tools tend to make it a simple process for people to pick up. Also if you think of the triangular or circle sketch as your cutting tool and the cut icon as what you would do when the machine the revolving cut mimics the action of the lathe or the extrude the action of the drill so easy to think of the process of machining the same as creating teh features on the part.

I hardly ever use the Boolean tools in my version, only really get used to remove a complex shape from another.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate