Cylinder Head Combustion Chamber Template

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan16/09/2021 22:45:02
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Posted by Martin Kyte on 16/09/2021 22:30:25:

[…]

You clearly need to make the holes first then. It should be a simple task to find the valve guide separation.

I agree, Martin … ‘though I did assume that William already knew [or was soon to confirm] the separation, when he wrote:

… centres corresponding to the valve centres, which I believe is 1.343"

MichaelG.

William Harvey 124/09/2021 10:22:54
176 forum posts

So I made a cardboard template of the finished chamber and scribed this onto some scrap ali sheeting, then cut it with tin snips.

Then after cleaning up the edges I place a head gasket on the head and taped the template in position. Next I turned it over and transferred the valve guide holes using a 7mm wood drill. These have a centre point so it seemed logical. Next I'll drill the 7mm holes for the valves.

Speedy Builder524/09/2021 11:15:36
2878 forum posts
248 photos

You could have drilled a couple holes in your template well oversize and close enough to the valve centres, then make a couple of "penny" washers which fitted the valve stems exactly. Place your template carefully in the valve chamber, apply epoxy adhesive to the penny washers and position the washers over the oversized holes and drop your valves (With oily stems) through the penny washers and let it all harden off.

Bob

William Harvey 124/09/2021 11:43:11
176 forum posts
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 24/09/2021 11:15:36:

You could have drilled a couple holes in your template well oversize and close enough to the valve centres, then make a couple of "penny" washers which fitted the valve stems exactly. Place your template carefully in the valve chamber, apply epoxy adhesive to the penny washers and position the washers over the oversized holes and drop your valves (With oily stems) through the penny washers and let it all harden off.

Bob

Not drilled the holes yet so I may just do that

Dave S24/09/2021 12:35:09
433 forum posts
95 photos

If you have some gash vales you could use them?

Clean the faces, place in the valve guides, add glue to the faces.

Position your template and then turn the head over so the valves sit on the template whilst the glue sets

Dave

not done it yet24/09/2021 13:17:35
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Dave S is about right.

The simple way would be to do it as Dave suggests but simply glue the valves to a sheet, cutting out later after transferring the required outline to the sheet. KISS principle at work?

Trying to do it after cutting out the shape is wasted energy.

Clearly needs two making.

Michael Gilligan24/09/2021 15:42:41
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 24/09/2021 13:17:35:

[…]

dont know

… if you really must ignore Mr Vizard’s illustration and make your template non-flippable.

What was that about keeping it simple ?

MichaelG.

Dave Halford24/09/2021 16:10:09
2536 forum posts
24 photos

I hope that head will get skimmed, it looks rather like it's been used as a boat anchor and then sandblasted.

William Harvey 124/09/2021 16:35:03
176 forum posts
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2021 15:42:41:
Posted by not done it yet on 24/09/2021 13:17:35:

[…]

dont know

… if you really must ignore Mr Vizard’s illustration and make your template non-flippable.

What was that about keeping it simple ?

MichaelG.

TBH it’s better not to glue the valves to the template as you say.

William Harvey 124/09/2021 16:36:35
176 forum posts
Posted by Dave Halford on 24/09/2021 16:10:09:

I hope that head will get skimmed, it looks rather like it's been used as a boat anchor and then sandblasted.

This was bought as a scrap head (cost me £15 post), should have seen it before I cleaned it up. The idea was to use thins for practice.

John Reese28/09/2021 22:08:39
1071 forum posts

Once the template was made it would be a simple matter to use a transfer punch or drill bit through the valve guides to mark the hole locations.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate