Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe

To put back what came down...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Longley 117/06/2020 13:36:33
965 forum posts
34 photos

Bison Concrete produced over a million concrete garages for local authorities & stopped making them circa early 80's. When they stopped production at Chadwell, They sold the moulds, for peanuts, to Thurrock Concrete Ltd. who rented part of my builders yard. They then made spare parts for damaged Bison garages for LAs, which was a clever move as it was cheaper than replacing a full garage.

They did not use rebar as such but prestressed the sections with 1/4 inch diameter HT steel "wire". the pre stressing operation was quite technical & the one operation that the owner himself always insisted on doing. A broken overstressed wire, or errant anchor collet, could fly out many yards like an arrow. with serious consequences.

They always advised customers NOT to cut any pre stressing wires because, although they were held in set concrete they could pull back a little causing pieces of concrete to shatter outwards. Drilling a concrete panel can sometimes result in a long crack along the line of the wire, resulting in erosion of the wire at some later date.

I imagine that modern garages are made using the same method

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 17/06/2020 13:45:37

Lee Rogers17/06/2020 13:42:58
203 forum posts

aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk I have used thier easyfix system of square tube to make racking , a cold frame and shelves. Adding a strategic riveted plate on some corners can be done for a bit of extra rigidity but not always needed.

ega17/06/2020 14:04:38
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Sam Longley 1:

Your post about Bison was very interesting to me. I owned a couple of these many years ago and installed a bench across the end of one supported on timbers bolted through the concrete panels. It seems that I was lucky not to have any problems of the kind you describe.

IIRC, these garages were normally available as singles but they could be lengthened by the addition of the modular panels which meant that there could be room for a small car and a modest workspace.

not done it yet17/06/2020 14:07:38
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Circlip on 17/06/2020 10:21:50:

Made hangers that go over the top edge thickness (Like the ones the roof bars use) with a packer at the bottom to ensure they sit vertical. Was advised by Garage fitters NOT to drill into concrete walls as it could burst the panel. There is a difference in the concrete used for garage panels. There is a reason any holes for fixings are cast in at manufacture.

Regards Ian.

The reason for holes being positioned at manufacture is simply to avoid the erector having to do more than bolt things together and ensure those necessary holes line up! Concrete has good compressive strength but poor in tension - either when drilling thin unsupported sections or affixing things to them.

If parts do not line up, wedges or spacers (shims) are fitted wherever needed. The centre area of panels are much thinner to keep weight (and cost) down, which is why I said I would fix between the vertical joints, from the outside.

All the concrete sections of my garage were pre-tensioned with reinforcing wires, not larger diameter rebar.

IIRC, as visitors, we were not allowed near the pre-tensioned moulds when on site at the local precast concrete works - these were wires stretched over a distance of about 100-150m for railway ‘sleepers’ with several hundred tonnes of tensioning force applied over that length of moulds. Concrete was the usual 40N/mm^2 mix. I expect the sections of my garage are of similar compressive strength.

Structures with smaller panels, fitted between slotted uprights, would have been made like paving slabs - simpler (possibly unreinforced) pressed moulding methods. Those types should definitely not be drilled - either into, or through!

Edited By not done it yet on 17/06/2020 14:10:01

old mart17/06/2020 14:50:23
4655 forum posts
304 photos

SDS works well in concrete, but will not drill through reinforcing rods. You may have to use a hss drill without any hammer for them. This will ruin the tip of any hss drill, so don't use your best one. As the glue stayed on the concrete, it might be best to glue on some wood that is the full length and width of the straight part of the concrete. Maybe some kind of wood treatment caused the bond to fail at the wood face. A rough surface on the wood would give a better bond.

Edited By old mart on 17/06/2020 14:55:35

Iain Downs17/06/2020 20:17:16
976 forum posts
805 photos

Thanks for all the advice. I did take some pictures to show locations, but I've left the phone upstairs during the just past yoga groaning session.

In place here is a terrible drawing

shed layout.jpg

Yes. Someone who still uses paint! Shed is around 8 foot by 16 foot.

The pre-collapse shelves were on a spur uprights on 38x22mm batons. Most were 5 inch wide with the bottom two or three being 8 inches. Even with the mill table fully to the right I can easily get to the wheel. I've emulated some racks with some bits of across the shed where a rack would be timber (the offending batons!) and I simply wouldn't be able to get my hands on the wheel (without the yoga being a lot more successful than I expect, anyway!).

I couldn't see any racking less than a foot deep and although I could make some up from bits of dexion equivalent, it's not cheap and I'd rather spend my money on tooling and raw materials.

I had a chat today with my neighbour and builder who's doing his house up two doors down. As well as suggesting a solution he also gave me some materials to accomplish it (I've got 2 15 foot batons (just) sitting in my shed).

The basic idea is to glue the batons to the ribs as before, but extend them up to the wood frame above the concrete and screw the spur through the batons into the 3x3 at the top. This means I'll have a decent support at the top of the structure with continuity all the way down.

I'm still planning on roughly up the batons on the glue side (the glue stuck very well to the concrete) to help it. Also planning to get some more pressure on them whilst the glue sets, though the exact mechanism isnt' too clear to me yet.

I think this will be safe, but I will keep my ears open for creaks as I mill and be prepared to bound out of the way. Also to minimise any hard things which sit above head height.

I appreciate all the input!

Iain

Keith Matheson18/06/2020 21:33:17
43 forum posts
20 photos

I had a similar issue. The concrete is as hard as nails. If the sectional garage is the same as mine you will see the sections are bolted in place. Buy some threaded bar/rod and replace the bolt with a longer length of Threaded bar. Have the longer end poking inside. Buy some large sheets of wood and dill holes in line with your sticking out studs. Run a penny washer and nut to secure the panel. Continue until your wallet squeaks. Fix brackets etc to panel. If you are willing to loose some internal volume insert some insulation in the sandwich. Hope that makes sense

keith MM

Iain Downs21/06/2020 18:59:05
976 forum posts
805 photos

So here is the result of my deliberations and your help.

The end wall with batons reaching the horizontal supports for the roof. This time I put batons across at the bottom and middle to apply pressure to the glue. Batons at the top fixed with a shortish screw.

shelves01.jpg

Shortish screws removed and spur uprights screwed in

shelves02.jpg

And after a couple of days to make sure it sets, the shelves added and filled.

shelves03.jpg

This led to an uncharacteristic organising spree. But we all have failings.

Iain

Dave Halford21/06/2020 19:03:48
2536 forum posts
24 photos

Doesn't that roof get a little damp?

Taz Meadows01/07/2020 19:26:49
3 forum posts

When it stops driling sometimes you hit steel regains the drill like a metal drill and turn the hammer off

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate